Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Russia?

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Parky
Lemon Slice

Russia?

Postby Parky » April 17th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I have been waiting for a drop in IT prices for a while. Well, now Russia has dropped, for obvious reasons, and I am thinking of making a small investment in JP Morgan Russian Securities for example, for a bit of excitement. Based on very little knowledge, I hasten to add. Any comments, apart from the obvious political risk?

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Re: Russia?

Postby YeeWo » April 17th, 2018, 2:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMozmOBaUQI

I Strongly recommend you spend an hour of your time and watch the above! I've come to the conclusion that as the Russian Economy is awfully dependent on Oil an investment in BP/RDSB gives exposure aligned with worldwide diversification.

http://www.etf.hsbc.com/etf/uk/retail?fundid=HETF029

I did contemplate the above HSBC ETF but in the end couldn't quite press the button. Mr Putin and cronies are in place for another 6 years! In the case of an event in Russia causing a 1990's style collapse bottom-fishing via the ETF May make sense. Most of the London listed MNCs have some exposure to the place.

"Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." - Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG OM CH TD DL FRS RA

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » April 17th, 2018, 3:41 pm

My only investment-related information is that many years ago I knew an emerging markets debt trader. When there was a previous Russian financial crisis - I think they defaulted - the market completely vanished. In other words the instruments simply couldn't be traded anywhere: no buyers.

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » April 17th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Fascinating youtube video. Remarkable man and life. Well worth watching. Thanks for sharing

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 17th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Parky wrote:I have been waiting for a drop in IT prices for a while. Well, now Russia has dropped, for obvious reasons, and I am thinking of making a small investment in JP Morgan Russian Securities for example, for a bit of excitement. Based on very little knowledge, I hasten to add. Any comments, apart from the obvious political risk?

I can't see economic sanctions being lifted in the near future, if anything they are likely to be increased. I shall continue to avoid.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 17th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Much favoured over the years by Merryn Somerset Webb, the editor of Moneyweek and the world's most reliable contrarian indicator. :lol: Russia, gold stockpiling, and why we ought to give Nigel Farage a life peerage.

Last seen plugging Moscow's Micex index in Feb 2017, just before it plunged by 25%. She says Russia's so bad it's actually good, and Mr Putin is really quite a nice man who won't cause any disruptions. Don't let me put you off the idea, though. ;)

BJ

schober
Lemon Pip

Postby schober » April 17th, 2018, 6:46 pm

I imagine they've got loads of Sberbank Lukoil & Gazprom
There are some interesting articles over on SeekingAlpha such as
https://seekingalpha.com/article/413936 ... cles_title

The article has links to two other articles on Gazprom and Lukoil by the same author
All are well worth a read - stuff you wont see in the MSM!

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » April 18th, 2018, 9:30 am

Thanks all. Having slept on it, and read your comments, I have managed to overcome the urge to "do something". Having worked for BP in the past, and visited Russia and Chechnya in that capacity, I know how dodgy things can be in Russia and the old USSR countries.
Will wait for a better opportunity.

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » April 21st, 2018, 7:26 am

That should get the contrarians interested ...

Backache
2 Lemon pips

Postby Backache » April 21st, 2018, 9:27 am

bungeejumper wrote:Much favoured over the years by Merryn Somerset Webb, the editor of Moneyweek and the world's most reliable contrarian indicator. :lol: Russia, gold stockpiling, and why we ought to give Nigel Farage a life peerage.

Last seen plugging Moscow's Micex index in Feb 2017, just before it plunged by 25%. She says Russia's so bad it's actually good, and Mr Putin is really quite a nice man who won't cause any disruptions. Don't let me put you off the idea, though. ;)

BJ

Not purely contrarian , I never quite got around to gold or Russia but did agree with her on Japan, which has been rewarding.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 21st, 2018, 9:43 am

Backache wrote:Not purely contrarian , I never quite got around to gold or Russia but did agree with her on Japan, which has been rewarding.

That, I think, would depend on when you went in? She'd been plugging Japan for more than twenty years by the time she finally got lucky. In that time you'd have missed out on the entire market rise of the nineties and noughties. Huge miscalculation. Even today, the Nikkei struggles to make half of its end-1989 level.

BJ

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 21st, 2018, 3:15 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Much favoured over the years by Merryn Somerset Webb, the editor of Moneyweek and the world's most reliable contrarian indicator. :lol: Russia, gold stockpiling, and why we ought to give Nigel Farage a life peerage.

BJ

Two articles in this weeks, 20 April edition, pages 5 and 19. Steer clear.

Disclosure; I hold a very small speculative amount in JP Morgan, Russian.

john

Backache
2 Lemon pips

Postby Backache » April 21st, 2018, 3:31 pm

bungeejumper wrote:That, I think, would depend on when you went in? She'd been plugging Japan for more than twenty years by the time she finally got lucky. In that time you'd have missed out on the entire market rise of the nineties and noughties. Huge miscalculation. Even today, the Nikkei struggles to make half of its end-1989 level.

BJ

I have to confess I have no idea how long she had been plugging it for I don't read Moneyweek but I usually read her column in the FT which I find well written. Even though Russia is not doing well it is well above the level I recall her doing her main plug in the FT.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”