Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Emerging markets IT ideas

Closed-end funds and OEICs
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Emerging markets IT ideas

Postby JMN2 » June 20th, 2018, 9:11 am

I browsed a few pages back but did not see any specific EM-posts - does that mean it is not a good time to buy?

I am thinking of buying a tiny amount of fairly generalist EM IT in order to get more involved in following that sector. There are three (four) that jump out:
Templeton
JPM (smaller and larger)
Aberdeen

Thoughts?

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Emerging markets IT ideas

Postby OLTB » June 20th, 2018, 9:22 am

JMN2 wrote:I browsed a few pages back but did not see any specific EM-posts - does that mean it is not a good time to buy?

I am thinking of buying a tiny amount of fairly generalist EM IT in order to get more involved in following that sector. There are three (four) that jump out:
Templeton
JPM (smaller and larger)
Aberdeen

Thoughts?

Hi JMN2

I follow John Baron's Summer Portfolio for the IT part of my SIPP and his current Emerging Markets IT of choice is Templeton. There are some smaller ITs within the recommended portfolio (HFEL, AJG and JPS) but that might be too region specific for your query - Far East or Japan only.

Cheers, OLTB.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 20th, 2018, 10:08 am

Just wonder if there is any mileage looking at the Ishares ETFs?

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/e ... &view=list

Maybe something that'll catch your interest or at least be able to compare with a "regular IT"

As a (current) "income hunter" I'm looking at IAPD (iShares Asia Pacific Dividend)

StOmer

Postby StOmer » June 20th, 2018, 10:30 am

JMN2 wrote:I browsed a few pages back but did not see any specific EM-posts - does that mean it is not a good time to buy?

Templeton
JPM (smaller and larger)
Aberdeen

Thoughts?

John Baron recently bought JPM EM for his LISA and Thematic portfolios whilst TEM is in the Summer version.
HTH,
Mickey

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 20th, 2018, 10:42 am

Templeton
JPM (smaller and larger)
Aberdeen

Thoughts?

Ok, at the moment there are currency concerns and US protectionism concerns that seem to be raising questions about EM's going forward. Does that make it a good time to buy? Possibly.

Not that long ago I bought some TEM. They have had good performance over the last few years investing in "tech" shares in emerging markets. The manager promply left to join his old boss Mr Moebius. The current manager claims that it's teamwork so nothing much should change, but it DID change to provide that performance in the first place when Mr Moebius left (he tended to invest in EM resource companies).

JPM has been reccomended as an alternative to TEM for those who are investing new money, while those like me are adopting a wait and see approach.

How generalist do you want? Active funds form opinions and slant their investments to suit. Would an ETF rather than an IT suit your aims better?
ie EEM or IEMG?

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » June 20th, 2018, 11:27 am

monabri wrote:Just wonder if there is any mileage looking at the Ishares ETFs?

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/e ... &view=list

Maybe something that'll catch your interest or at least be able to compare with a "regular IT"

As a (current) "income hunter" I'm looking at IAPD (iShares Asia Pacific Dividend)

Just following on from monabri's comment about a possible passive solution - in the passive part of my SIPP I hold VFEM (8% of the portfolio) and IEMS (4% of the portfolio) for Emerging Markets exposure.

Cheers, OLTB.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 20th, 2018, 2:22 pm

I think I would prefer a global generalist, but now I have to check those ETFs mentioned. Perhaps 50/50 Templeton and one ETF making up a full EM holding in my IT sub-portfolio.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I have left EM IT's alone, on the basis that I have some overlap/exposure through Asian Pacific and Global trusts, and Murray International trust. That way I don't hold too many IT's. If I was to add one, I think it would be JEMI (JP Morgan EM Inc).

Muddywaters
Lemon Pip

Postby Muddywaters » June 20th, 2018, 7:40 pm

I wrestled with which em IT to pick for a while then just went with the vanguard option. Although I also hold Jupiter India, which is the only fund I hold

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 22nd, 2018, 11:44 am

In the end I decided 50/50 TEM and JMG. It will be a small position and I bought some to begin with even tough it all looks very toppy at the moment, just to get them on my radar.

I couldn't make head or tails of those ETF's.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 22nd, 2018, 2:43 pm

I'm watching HEFL, JEMI & AAIF for further weakeness before I consider "adding".

I'm going to wait unlt 28th when JEMI goes ex-div and revisit.

I'm also keeping a close key on UEM.

I'd like add more US assets, JUS has done well for me. I'm bullish on the USA over the longter, and Asia excluding China.

Economic slow down in China would be difficult for them to deal with, but a spat with the China/USA might actually good for others in the region.

As I type, I'm taking a break from reading up on Econfin 'EGL', my initial reaction is I think I prefer UEM. Although if I buy it at a lower price the US holdings would be interesting.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 22nd, 2018, 4:00 pm

formoverfunction wrote:I'm watching HEFL, JEMI & AAIF for further weakeness before I consider "adding".

I'm going to wait unlt 28th when JEMI goes ex-div and revisit.

I'm also keeping a close key on UEM.

I'd like add more US assets, JUS has done well for me. I'm bullish on the USA over the longter, and Asia excluding China.

Economic slow down in China would be difficult for them to deal with, but a spat with the China/USA might actually good for others in the region.

As I type, I'm taking a break from reading up on Econfin 'EGL', my initial reaction is I think I prefer UEM. Although if I buy it at a lower price the US holdings would be interesting.

formoverfunction, if you are looking at some of the Asian Pacific trusts (such as AAIF & HEFL), have a look at JAI (JP Morgan Asian). It has more exposure to growth and technology stocks and China, along with a high-ish yield 4.86% (supported if necessary from capital):

http://citywire.co.uk/money/investment- ... undID=3015

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » June 22nd, 2018, 4:47 pm

"if you are looking at some of the Asian Pacific trusts (such as AAIF & HEFL), have a look at JAI (JP Morgan Asian). It has more exposure to growth and technology stocks and China, along with a high-ish yield 4.86% (supported if necessary from capital):"

Thanks Rich.

I try to avoid funds with excessive exposure to chinese tech. I prefer to hold "tech" in USA listed stocks or through PCT, but I'll certainly give it another look.

If you're interested in tech, or fintech, have you looked at VSL? It has a high yield over 10%. They've had a good couple on months, the share price not so much. It's a very experienced team and certainly better than P2P. I have to admit, I bought recently and will add more again.

schober
Lemon Pip

Postby schober » June 23rd, 2018, 6:21 pm

Hmmm ........... well if I held EM funds, I would sell them all!
Have a listen to this
https://static1.financialsense.com/broa ... 0623-2.mp3
Starts ~24min in

And then look at these charts
EEM http://tinyurl.com/yclurbfv
TEM.L http://tinyurl.com/y8ohslls

And then have a think.

Leither
Lemon Slice

Postby Leither » June 24th, 2018, 8:45 pm

schober wrote:Hmmm ........... well if I held EM funds, I would sell them all!
Have a listen to this
https://static1.financialsense.com/broa ... 0623-2.mp3
Starts ~24min in

And then look at these charts
EEM http://tinyurl.com/yclurbfv
TEM.L http://tinyurl.com/y8ohslls

And then have a think.

Couldn’t make head nor tail of those charts but they do look like the football coupons my dad used to do every week!

Regards,

Leither.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 24th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Knitting pattern?

schober
Lemon Pip

Postby schober » June 24th, 2018, 10:02 pm

"Couldn’t make head nor tail of those charts ...."
Try
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php? ... pnf_basics

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 25th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Fundsmith Emerging Markets IT is a bit different to most other emerging market funds.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”