Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Choice of Global Growth IT

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Re: Choice of Global Growth IT

Postby Dod101 » July 11th, 2018, 11:05 am

I think a robust discussion does no harm but thanks for your comments richfool. I think you are right to choose SMT. I have held it for years (probably about 20 I think) and it has not always been as it is now but overall it has been a wonderful share for me. I also hold Finsbury to plug into Nick Train as I like his style (although probably too pedestrian for Fred)

Good for Trump. As you may know I do not buy into geographically biased ITs and so I have no specific exposure to Europe but obviously many generalists will hold European shares. I saw in my newspaper yesterday that Germany will only reach 1.5% of GDP spending on defence by 2025!

Dod

FredBloggs
Lemon Quarter

Postby FredBloggs » July 11th, 2018, 12:30 pm

@Dod, nope. I have plenty of time time for Nick Train. Though I do not hold any of his portfolios since it would IMO, be too much like Fundsmith which I have a large stake in.

richfool
Lemon Slice

Postby richfool » August 10th, 2018, 10:21 am

Moderator Message:
referenced quote deleted at request of poster.
After flirting with SMT (Scottish Mortgage) and Monks, I ended up adding FRCL (Foreign & Colonial) from the Global Growth sector, against the background that it was more broadly based and thus less susceptible to a correction in technology. I already held Witan from that sector.

I then topped up on JPGI (Global Grth & Inc sector), as I am aware that it holds technology stocks and supports a yield of just under 4% (subsidised from capital).

scotia
Lemon Slice

Postby scotia » August 10th, 2018, 10:36 am

I'm into Edinburgh Worldwide (EWI) for my bit of excitement - with more mundane ITs as a significant back up.

richfool
Lemon Slice

Postby richfool » August 10th, 2018, 11:44 am

scotia wrote:I'm into Edinburgh Worldwide (EWI) for my bit of excitement - with more mundane ITs as a significant back up.

Funny you should mention EWI. I did in fact recently take a piece of EWI in my non sheltered share dealing account, - on the basis that it was targetting small entrepreneurial companies, rather than the big established companies and included a wide range of sectors such as internet software and services, biotechnology, pharmacetical, marketing retail, electronic equipment, healthcare. I thought it would diversify me away from the big tech companies and as you say add a touch of excitement/spice. Definitely a growth trust, with no dividend yield.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”