Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Choice of Global Growth IT

Closed-end funds and OEICs
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Choice of Global Growth IT

Postby scotia » August 10th, 2018, 10:36 am

I'm into Edinburgh Worldwide (EWI) for my bit of excitement - with more mundane ITs as a significant back up.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 10th, 2018, 11:44 am

scotia wrote:I'm into Edinburgh Worldwide (EWI) for my bit of excitement - with more mundane ITs as a significant back up.

Funny you should mention EWI. I did in fact recently take a piece of EWI in my non sheltered share dealing account, - on the basis that it was targetting small entrepreneurial companies, rather than the big established companies and included a wide range of sectors such as internet software and services, biotechnology, pharmacetical, marketing retail, electronic equipment, healthcare. I thought it would diversify me away from the big tech companies and as you say add a touch of excitement/spice. Definitely a growth trust, with no dividend yield.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 7th, 2019, 2:06 pm

I have just been reviewing global growth trusts and re-visited this thread. (Monks and EWI are both at premiums of c 3%.)

A trust that attracted my attention is Mid Wynd, currently at a premium of 2.8% and a yield: 1.08%. It has a global growth & income mandate and quite broadly focused. Sectors include biotech, scientific, medical, healthcare, technology. Holdings include: Microsoft, LVMH Moet, Thermo-Fisher, Boston Scientific, Comcast, Avery, Fresnius Medical Care, Nestle, Mastercard.

I note Mid Wynd is now managed by Artemis.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » July 7th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Presumably the Lindsell Train IT is out of favour because of its premium (despite recent events) or what about the equivalent Global UT?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 10th, 2019, 9:11 am

77ss wrote:
richfool wrote:

So, yes I do think the duplication of Taiwan SCMC is excessive, and presents an increased risk if anything untoward affected that stock. (As Bruce Stout holds it, I trust it is among the safer stocks to hold (wink!).)

I wouldn't get too hung up about this kind of thing. It depends upon your overall portfolio, but if you have 3% (say) in an IT, and the IT holds 5% (say) in any given share, then your exposure to that share, via that IT is just 0.15%. You just have to do the arithmetic. Glancing at your figures above, it looks as though you have a bit under 1% in Taiwan SCMC (I haven't done the arithmetic) - and that is assuming that you only have those 8 ITs in your overall portfolio.

Having said that, like Dod101, I do try to keep my few ITs in different sectors of the 'investment universe'. Health, IT, midcap, smallcap, property, private equity......

77, any thoughts on Mid Wynd?

I have just been reviewing global growth trusts and re-visited this thread. (Monks and EWI are both at premiums of c 3%.)

A trust that attracted my attention is Mid Wynd, currently at a premium of 2.8% and a yield: 1.08%. It has a global growth & income mandate and quite broadly focused. Sectors include biotech, scientific, medical, healthcare, technology. Holdings include: Microsoft, LVMH Moet, Thermo-Fisher, Boston Scientific, Comcast, Avery, Fresnius Medical Care, Nestle, Mastercard.

77ss
Lemon Slice

Postby 77ss » July 10th, 2019, 9:55 am

richfool wrote:
77ss wrote:
richfool wrote:

So, yes I do think the duplication of Taiwan SCMC is excessive, and presents an increased risk if anything untoward affected that stock. (As Bruce Stout holds it, I trust it is among the safer stocks to hold (wink!).)

I wouldn't get too hung up about this kind of thing. It depends upon your overall portfolio, but if you have 3% (say) in an IT, and the IT holds 5% (say) in any given share, then your exposure to that share, via that IT is just 0.15%. You just have to do the arithmetic. Glancing at your figures above, it looks as though you have a bit under 1% in Taiwan SCMC (I haven't done the arithmetic) - and that is assuming that you only have those 8 ITs in your overall portfolio.

Having said that, like Dod101, I do try to keep my few ITs in different sectors of the 'investment universe'. Health, IT, midcap, smallcap, property, private equity......

77, any thoughts on Mid Wynd?

As it happens, I have looked at Mid Wynd recently. A good performance over the past 5 years, but I decided that it didn't really add anything for me - and its a bit small.

It may suit you - it depends on what else you hold. For me, a major holding in FCIT, allied to smaller ones in ATT, SOI and WWH seems to cover the same bases - geograpically and sectorally. Better average yield too - if that matters to you.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”