Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Baillie Gifford US Growth trust (USA)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Baillie Gifford US Growth trust (USA)

Postby richfool » August 11th, 2021, 9:37 am

Baillie Gifford's USA Growth Trust - Preliminary Results for the year ended 31 May 2021:
During the financial year to 31 May 2021, the Company's share price and net asset value (calculated deducting borrowings at fair value) returned 63.0% and 62.8% respectively. This compares with a total return of 22.4% for the S&P 500 Index * (in sterling terms).

¾ The pandemic has caused an avalanche of structural change.

¾ Breakthrough healthcare technologies such as Moderna's mRNA therapy platform and Teladoc's telemedicine services have been thrust into the mainstream.

¾ Consumers have altered their behaviour and have been making more purchases online from the likes of Wayfair and utilising apps such as DoorDash for meal and snack delivery.

¾ Streaming services like Netflix and Roku have seen significant upticks in subscriber growth.

¾ Employers have been forced to embrace remote working, enabled at least partly thanks to the interconnectivity provided by companies such as Zoom.

¾ We are beginning to see the digital transformation take hold in new areas and have taken new public company holdings in Carvana and Vroom in the second-hand car market, Lemonade in insurance, and Coursera in education.

¾ We made seven additional private company investments over the last twelve months whilst four of our existing private company holdings went public in the period.

¾ At the end of May, we held positions in twenty private companies which collectively comprised 16.5% of total assets

https://www.investegate.co.uk/baillie-g ... 00102219I/

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Re: Baillie Gifford US Growth trust (USA)

Postby airbus330 » September 23rd, 2021, 11:38 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on USA just now.? I like SMT but feel it might be prudent to lessen my exposure to CHina. One way would be to sell my SMT and hold USA instead. USA currently on a small discount which is unusual.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 24th, 2021, 9:06 am

airbus330 wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on USA just now.? I like SMT but feel it might be prudent to lessen my exposure to CHina. One way would be to sell my SMT and hold USA instead. USA currently on a small discount which is unusual.

Monks from the same BG stable, has less exposure to China than SMT, if you want to keep the global exposure. USA obviously has none directly.

For global exposure I hold MWY, Monks and a small amount of SMT. I hold USA, but a smaller holding, as it is country and US specific.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 1st, 2021, 8:57 am

HL view on USA (Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust)

Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust: November 2021 update

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/bail ... 021-update

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 1st, 2021, 10:52 am

airbus330 wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on USA just now.? I like SMT but feel it might be prudent to lessen my exposure to CHina. One way would be to sell my SMT and hold USA instead. USA currently on a small discount which is unusual.

Airbus, this (MWY) might be of interest to you in terms of maintaining global exposure, but reducing exposure to China:

viewtopic.php?p=438564#p438564

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 1st, 2021, 5:26 pm

richfool wrote:

Airbus, this (MWY) might be of interest to you in terms of maintaining global exposure, but reducing exposure to China:

viewtopic.php?p=438564#p438564

Thanks for the link. I decided to get rid of USA in the end and I'm mulling over also getting out of FCSS which I'm still up a lot on. MWY could be a useful place to go. My view was that China would bounce back well, but that has proved to be wrong. Almost looking forward to a decent correction so I can buy more confidently again.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”