Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Scottish American - SAIN

Closed-end funds and OEICs
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Scottish American - SAIN

Postby scotia » November 2nd, 2022, 6:31 pm

A solid performance from SAIN. Interestingly, over 5 years its total return has closely followed a developed world index tracker (VEVE), and also that of another global stallwart, F&C IT (FCIT). The current 5-year total returns are SAIN = 52.2%; VEVE = 52.6%; and FCIT = 54.8%.
I currently hold VEVE and FCIT - so probably don't need another tracker :)

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » November 4th, 2022, 9:04 am

scotia wrote:A solid performance from SAIN. Interestingly, over 5 years its total return has closely followed a developed world index tracker (VEVE), and also that of another global stallwart, F&C IT (FCIT). The current 5-year total returns are SAIN = 52.2%; VEVE = 52.6%; and FCIT = 54.8%.
I currently hold VEVE and FCIT - so probably don't need another tracker :)

You would be in-SAIN not to consider it!

I'll get my coat.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » February 10th, 2023, 8:27 am

Scottish American Final Results:

The Scottish American Investment Company P.L.C.

Legal Entity Identifier: 549300NF03XVC5IFB447
Regulated Information Classification: Additional regulated information required to be disclosed under the applicable laws and regulations.
The following is the results announcement for the year to 31 December 2022 which was approved by the Board on 9 February 2023.

¾ Dividend - The full year dividend, including a recommended final dividend of 3.67p, is 13.82p per share. This is 9% higher than the 2021 dividend and is fully covered by earnings. The recommended dividend will extend the Company's record of dividend increases to forty nine consecutive years.

¾ SAINTS aims to grow its dividend ahead of inflation over the long term. Over the past ten years SAINTS has increased its dividend at an annualised rate of 3.5%, which compares with UK CPI of 2.7%.

¾ Revenues - Income was £30.0m (2021 - £28.0m) and earnings per share were 13.82p (2021 - 12.79p).

¾ Total return* - Net Asset Value total return (capital and income with borrowings at fair value) for the year was negative 3.7%, ahead of the total return from global equities of negative 7.3%. The share price total return was negative 3.5%. Returns were assisted by the resilient operational performance of many of the companies in which SAINTS invests, and also by positive returns from the Company's infrastructure equity and bond investments.

¾ SAINTS also aims to deliver attractive returns over the long term - SAINTS' NAV total return (with borrowings at fair value) has exceeded that of equities generally over the past three, five and ten years. SAINTS is also the best performing fund in its Global Equity Income peer group, in terms of share price total return, over the past five years.

¾ Outlook - The Board remain of the view that a long-term approach based on investing globally for sustainable growth is the best route to achieving SAINTS' aims. In addition, we are encouraged that the Managers have continued to find new and attractive opportunities amidst the recent turmoil. We retain great confidence in the Managers' approach, and this confidence has been further strengthened by the experiences of the past year.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/scot.amer ... 00045135P/

I continue to hold SAIN.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » February 10th, 2023, 8:57 am

richfool wrote:Scottish American Final Results:

I continue to hold SAIN.

So do I.

It has the highest Total Return in my IT portfolio.

A 9% increase in final dividend compared to 2022's, and a commitment to keep dividends growing faster than CPI, is what I like to see.

Low-ish yield, but a solid, reliable IT. We all need these in our portfolios.

FD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 10th, 2023, 9:45 am

funduffer wrote:

I continue to hold SAIN.

So do I.

A 9% increase in final dividend compared to 2022's, and a commitment to keep dividends growing faster than CPI, is what I like to see.

FD

It has an interesting and unusual mix of assets, I must say.

Dod

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » February 10th, 2023, 9:57 am

funduffer wrote:

I continue to hold SAIN.

So do I.

FD

Looking on the AIC website it's saying the 5 year dividend growth (presumably before this increase) is 3.21% pa, so maybe this is just a one-off to holders to cope with recent inflation?

Or have they changed their dividend strategy?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 10th, 2023, 10:09 am

dundas666 wrote:
funduffer wrote:

I continue to hold SAIN.

So do I.

FD

Looking on the AIC website it's saying the 5 year dividend growth (presumably before this increase) is 3.21% pa, so maybe this is just a one-off to holders to cope with recent inflation?

Or have they changed their dividend strategy?

Having just read their Annual Report, there are two issues which will have helped their revenue. The first is that they have replaced a matured debenture, costing 8% p a, with debt costing only 3%. I would imagine that that is probably the biggest contributor, but they have also bought EM Sovereign debt which presumably will have given them a good coupon. It did not register with me but it is set out in the Report.

If that has increased their revenue which it will have done, then that will under the IT rules, have flowed straight through to the dividend.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 15th, 2024, 5:55 pm

SAIN Increase in dividend:
The Scottish American Investment Company P.L.C. (SAIN)

Legal Entity Identifier: 549300NF03XVC5IFB447

First interim dividend for 2024

The Board of SAINTS announces that it is declaring a first interim dividend of 3.45p (up 4.5% on the corresponding dividend last year) per ordinary share in respect of the year to 31 December 2024, payable on 20 June 2024 to shareholders on the register at the close of business on 24 May 2024. The ex-dividend date is 23 May 2024. The Company operates a Dividend Reinvestment Plan and the final date for elections for reinvestment of this dividend is 30 May 2024.

The Board expects SAINTS' dividends to grow ahead of inflation over the long term and remains confident that this year will mark the Company's 51st consecutive year of dividend growth.

Baillie Gifford & Co Limited

Company Secretaries

15 May 2024

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... on/8199385

I continue to hold SAIN.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”