Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Links to Luniversal’s investment trust baskets

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Eboli
Lemon Slice

Re: Links to Luniversal’s investment trust baskets

Postby Eboli » March 12th, 2018, 3:59 am

The collar I use on the 7 ITs is uneven of 14% above and 7% below 1/7th of the value of the whole IT basket. I sell or buy to bring me within the range 7% and 0%. If I am within 1% of a high value for the portfolio or at an all time high the high collar is reduced to 7%. If the value is at less than 1% above a trailing 5 year low I reduce the low collar to 3.5%. (So far there have only been instances of reducing the high collar).

So for example with a total value of, say, £280,000 my collar for each IT is £45,600 - £37,200 (ie. 280K/7 = 40 x 1.14 high or 0.93 low). The formula is all set up on Excel so when I do a check at the weekends I normally do nothing other than look at the box that tells me whether a rebalance is necessary. But, for example, suppose one IT (it could have been Bankers - BNKR - earlier this year as that was my last trade selling at £9.20) had a value of, say, £46,200, and the portfolio was < 99% of a high, I would sell to raise £3,400 (£46,200 - [1.07 x 280/7]). As I said before the trades are infrequent - though that may be pejorative to some so I'll stick to having done 19 rebalancing trades since inception in October 2011.

In my case when my cash reserve gets above 18 month's income requirement I top up my holding of PNL with the excess once I have a minimum trade value of £3K. I've once had to sell some PNL to raise some cash to buy and leave enough in my cash buffer (Pertpetual Income and Growth - PLI - if I recall correctly). My cash and holding in PNL (as a cash substitute) is excluded from the collar calculations on the other Bo7 ITs.

The above works for me with the two portfolios I operate it on (one a SIPP in drawdown and the other an ISA). I adjust between the two to attempt to draw the maximum income below the 40% income tax band after some other pension income and whatever are my income requirements (high at the moment because I'm doing a lot of long-haul travel in comfort whilst I am still able to do so). Nearly 20 years ago I was quite keen on mechanical investing as it suited my personality. But I found that it was not best used as a method (in my case at least) on individual HYP shares. So perhaps what I do is overly mechanical for the Bo7. But others with different instincts can develop other ways.

Eb.

gadgetmind
Lemon Pip

Postby gadgetmind » March 12th, 2018, 7:47 am

vrdiver wrote:Not guaranteed, but a better chance of attracting another poster's attention is to name-check them: e.g.

Yes, thanks, that woke me up. Lack of global diversity is an issue and is what I've also been musing on recently.

For the equity portion I can either forget income and just use passive ETFS or perhaps have an income tilt via the dividend aristocrat ETFs such as UKDV, EUDV, EMDV, and IAPD. Yes, no much US, but is this a bad thing right not?

For interest income (tax advantages to having a bit of both) there are bonds such as SLXX (can also add some global) and Peer to Peer via P2P Plc etc.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » March 12th, 2018, 9:02 am

gadgetmind wrote:
For the equity portion I can either forget income and just use passive ETFS or perhaps have an income tilt via the dividend aristocrat ETFs such as UKDV, EUDV, EMDV, and IAPD. Yes, no much US, but is this a bad thing right not?

And that's what I do. At the time L'Uni set up B7 global diversity wasn't perhaps as reflective of the market opportunity as it is now, so I've added to my portfolio beyond L7 with Securities Trust of Scotland (STS), Henderson Far East (HFEL), European Assets (EAT), Middlefield Canadian (MCT) and a slug of Global Dividend Aristocrats (GBDV). I'm also looking at Aberdeen Latin American Income (ALAI).

rhinestone

Postby rhinestone » May 18th, 2019, 9:03 am

Many thanks for taking the time to do this

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 14th, 2019, 3:35 pm

From elsewhere on TLF:

BrummieDave wrote:I'm struggling to access the Wayback Machine; can somebody post the G10 ITs please ...

G10 appeared to be:

Aberforth SCs ((ASL)
Alliance (ATST)
F&C Global SCs (FCS)
Foreign & Col. (FRCL)
Law Debenture (LWDB)
Monks (MNKS)
Scottish Amer. (SCAM)
Scottish (SCIN)
Scottish Mortgage (SMT)
Witan (WTAN)

C5 possibly:

Capital Gearing Trust (CGT), Independent Investment Trust (IIT), Lindsell Train Investment Trust (LTI), Personal Assets Trust (PNL) and the Jersey-based Ruffer Investment Co. (RICA), which does not have UK authorised IT status.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » November 14th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Thanks PD, very helpful!

:D

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 14th, 2019, 6:48 pm

The Growth 10

https://web.archive.org/web/20161213062 ... 80864.aspx

as detailed in "JohnTheJute" post at the start of this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=120011#p120011

The Conviction 5 link is also given in post #120011.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 14th, 2019, 7:13 pm

monabri wrote:The Growth 10 ...

BrummieDave was having difficulty accessing the waybackmachine via the links at the start of this Topic. Thus my providing the details from the links in the OP.

Can anyone confirm I pulled out the correct outfits?

tramrider
2 Lemon pips

Postby tramrider » November 16th, 2019, 3:19 pm

PinkDalek wrote:From elsewhere on TLF:

BrummieDave wrote:I'm struggling to access the Wayback Machine; can somebody post the G10 ITs please ...

G10 appeared to be:

Foreign & Col. (FRCL)

I think you will find that FRCL has now become F&C Investment Trust with the ticker FCIT.

Tramrider

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 16th, 2019, 3:37 pm

tramrider wrote:I think you will find that FRCL has now become F&C Investment Trust with the ticker FCIT.

Yes but I believe we were asked to provide the original constituents! On the same front most will know that SCAM is now SAIN (with the comments on the latter having been made elsewhere but must be better than SCAM).

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”