Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

IT Suggestions

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

IT Suggestions

Postby Aminatidi » March 11th, 2018, 8:57 am

Currently sitting on my first ISA with 20k split:

RIT Capital 25%
Fundsmith 25%
Lindsell Train Global Equity 25%
Scottish Mortgage 12.5%
Shin Nippon 12.5%

Plenty of cash in the bank which is my liquidity so this lot should be there for the long term i.e. 10-15 years at which point I'll hopefully be starting to think about how to make it more cautious.

I feel I need to add a little more diversity from 5 funds (though 5 is simple) and in April there will be a little over £50k in the ISA due to the new allowance and a transfer in.

Current thoughts were along the lines of adding Bankers and F&C Global Smaller as I know I'm light on smaller companies and Bankers just looks a stable long term option.

But so does British Empire, Law Debenture, Witan, Monks, and tons of others....

How the heck do you choose without over-thinking or piling in more and more IT's so you end up with a glorified tracker?

Muddywaters
Lemon Pip

Re: IT Suggestions

Postby Muddywaters » March 11th, 2018, 9:13 am

Other than f&c smaller I wouldn’t bother adding more, top up what you’ve got. You’ve got 4 big global ITs/UTs that cover everything. Much more and you’ve got yourself a tracker

At a push maybe private equity too but Scot mort kind of covers unlisted

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 11th, 2018, 9:36 am

Do you have an objective?

You are fairly diverse already, but FRCL would give you an interest in private equity. I would be wary about following personalities. The big global ITs give a pretty good international spread, and there is always the problem of several funds or ITs having the same big positions. It pays to take a good look at where they have placed the money. Diversity does not mean several "Me too" portfolios.

TJH

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » March 11th, 2018, 9:53 am

@Muddywaters that's a fair point and one I've heard before so it may be a case of when enough people tell you something...

@tjh290633 the ideal objective would be to put it in, sit back and do nothing, and watch it grow over the next 10-20 years. As much as you can never be 100% certain of anything, I don't anticipate needing to touch it. Very good point on "me too" as when you see lots of people with > 10 lines in their portfolios and you "only" have 5 you do think "What am I overlooking?".

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » March 11th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Have you read the John Baron IT portfolio websites?
His own site (register for 7 days' free access) http://johnbaronportfolios.co.uk
Investors Chronicle site (free access to makeup of Income and Growth portfolios) https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/john-baron-s-investment-trust-portfolio/

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » March 11th, 2018, 5:39 pm

DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:Have you read the John Baron IT portfolio websites?
His own site (register for 7 days' free access) http://johnbaronportfolios.co.uk
Investors Chronicle site (free access to makeup of Income and Growth portfolios) https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/john-baron-s-investment-trust-portfolio/

I've seen the site thank you, though I haven't registered.

I'm always taken back at the quantity of IT's as it's around £250 just in trading fees @ £10/trade.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”