Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

A basket change

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

A basket change

Postby Arborbridge » April 9th, 2018, 9:24 am

I've had Murray Income in my basket since the beginning. After many twists and turns in thinking over the years, I've now decided to pension this one off, and put the bulk of the proceeds into Schroder Income Growth IT. Both are similar in discount and yield, but SCF has consistently performed better in other ways.
I'm a slow tinkerer, and it's taken three years to decide! This gets rids of one lot of admin in spreadsheets and possibly buys a slight advantage.

MUT was my worst performing income IT as regards XIRR, and consistently so.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: A basket change

Postby kempiejon » April 9th, 2018, 10:02 am

Arb,

I too have held MUT for a while, and note as you comment its consistently poorer performance compared to my other ITs. I had it shortlisted last year to release capital to move into an ISA or invest unsheltered into a non income focused investment ut did n;t get round to it. I still have an ambition to ditch it.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 9th, 2018, 4:30 pm

I hold MUT and have been wondering how long to leave it before I switch with SCF being a candidate.

In a similar vein, I'm also not seeing Perpetual Income & Growth (PLI) do anything of much use either.

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » April 11th, 2018, 7:22 am

Arborbridge wrote:I've had Murray Income in my basket since the beginning. After many twists and turns in thinking over the years, I've now decided to pension this one off, and put the bulk of the proceeds into Schroder Income Growth IT. Both are similar in discount and yield, but SCF has consistently performed better in other ways.
I'm a slow tinkerer, and it's taken three years to decide! This gets rids of one lot of admin in spreadsheets and possibly buys a slight advantage.

MUT was my worst performing income IT as regards XIRR, and consistently so.

Arb.

Arb,

I remember you mentioned MUT's poor overall performance in the past as I held it at the time and still do. I agree it's a clunker and like you have considered a disposal but somehow I never get round to it. DIG is another one IM(rarely humble)O.

I am contemplating buying MYI from the same stable but wonder if I am being enticed again by a high dividend at the expense of minimal or no growth. We need a some growth to keep up with inflation at a minimum.

TP2.

escalader

Postby escalader » April 11th, 2018, 10:26 am

MUT has been OK for me, I have the following basket purchased in Jan 2016

City of London Inv Trust
Edinburgh Inv Trust
F&C Capital and Income Investment Trust
JPM Claverhouse (JCH)
Invesco Income Growth
Murray Income Trust
Murray International Trust
Schroder Income Growth Fund

MUT has produced up to now a capital gain of 16.35% and a yield on cost for last year of 5.46%.

I don't think that's too bad!

Esc.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 11th, 2018, 10:48 am

escalader wrote:MUT has been OK for me, I have the following basket purchased in Jan 2016

City of London Inv Trust
Edinburgh Inv Trust
JPM Claverhouse (JCH)
Invesco Income Growth
Murray Income Trust

MUT has produced up to now a capital gain of 16.35% and a yield on cost for last year of 5.46%.

Esc.

Chart: http://mediacharting.digitallook.com/cg ... ndicator_3

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 13th, 2018, 7:52 am

escalader wrote:MUT has been OK for me, I have the following basket purchased in Jan 2016

Esc.

"OK" - I wouldn't disagree, but not as OK as my other ITs, which is why I've swapped out. The reasons are quite clear and summarised in my first post. Naturally, one's perspective may vary according to when bought and how long held, but I am of the opinion that I can do better elsewhere.

MUT is undoubtedly a steady performer and it might be excellent for some purposes. It has a high yield, which partly I suspect reflects its lower income and capital growth, but I do not need such a high yield at present. I do not regret buying it: I do not regret selling it either!

DIG, I sold in a similar operation over a year ago, having coming to a similarly worked out decision.

Someone mentioned PLI: as I remember it, this has been struggling on the capital front for a couple of years, but my overall XIRR is still a reasonable 10%.

Arb.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » April 18th, 2018, 11:27 am

mc2fool wrote:

City of London Inv Trust
Edinburgh Inv Trust
JPM Claverhouse (JCH)
Invesco Income Growth
Murray Income Trust

Esc.

Chart: http://mediacharting.digitallook.com/cg ... ndicator_3

Thanks, mc2fool. I'll continue to hold.

MDW1954

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”