Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Allianz Technology Trust (ATT)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Allianz Technology Trust (ATT)

Postby OLTB » April 9th, 2018, 10:45 am

Morning all

Just topped up my holding of ATT in my IT portfolio to bring it up to just over 4% value within the whole portfolio which now looks like this (apologies for just EPIC codes...):

I have replicated John Baron's 'Summer' portfolio which means I am hoping this portfolio, along with my passive portfolio, will give me the growth I need for my retirement fund, whilst I also build my HYP to generate income to pay my fixed costs in retirement. Very early days so far and the first annual review for IT and passive portfolios due in August.

Cheers, OLTB.

Muddywaters
Lemon Pip

Re: Allianz Technology Trust (ATT)

Postby Muddywaters » April 9th, 2018, 5:55 pm

I hold att as well, 5% of my portfolio. It’s a bumpy old ride and may be a big casualty if things go south. Slight concern for me is that I probably/do hold a lot of the big ticket companies in my trackers but despite the huge share price upswing they’ve seen in the last 5 years, even if things do go seriously tits up in the next few years or so, it’s still a decent long term bet for me.

StOmer

Postby StOmer » April 10th, 2018, 7:54 am

OLTB wrote:I have replicated John Baron's 'Summer' portfolio which means I am hoping this portfolio, along with my passive portfolio, will give me the growth I need for my retirement fund, whilst I also build my HYP to generate income to pay my fixed costs in retirement. Very early days so far and the first annual review for IT and passive portfolios due in August.

Cheers, OLTB.

Hi,
Do you subscribe to his website or rely on the monthly Investors Chronicle updates? I subscribe to his site and track his performance against a few other published ones.
Thanks.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » April 10th, 2018, 9:11 am

StOmer wrote:
OLTB wrote:I have replicated John Baron's 'Summer' portfolio which means I am hoping this portfolio, along with my passive portfolio, will give me the growth I need for my retirement fund, whilst I also build my HYP to generate income to pay my fixed costs in retirement. Very early days so far and the first annual review for IT and passive portfolios due in August.

Cheers, OLTB.

Hi,
Do you subscribe to his website or rely on the monthly Investors Chronicle updates? I subscribe to his site and track his performance against a few other published ones.
Thanks.

Hi StOmer - I rely on the IC updates only. Does his site give any additional information that would be useful to me (I think that probably the changes in portfolio are notified to subscribers quicker than waiting for the IC updates.).

Cheers, OLTB.

StOmer

Postby StOmer » April 10th, 2018, 11:53 am

Hi OLTB,
Hi StOmer - I rely on the IC updates only. Does his site give any additional information that would be useful to me (I think that probably the changes in portfolio are notified to subscribers quicker than waiting for the IC updates.).

Yes I think so. Portfolio updates are notified same day as made, then a couple of days later he provides a commentary on why the update was made. The IC update is put onto the website a few days earlier also.

The website gives occasional updates on a 'watch list' of portfolio holdings under review, a Q&A piece and performance tables. He also has an occasional 'Trust of the Moment' piece, the latest one was about Golden Prospect Metals iirc. I am critical of the number of trades he makes and naturally that looks worse on the website as he is updating on 8 different portfolios.

My suggestion would be to try a 7-day free trial, you don't have to give any card details to do this and you aren;t siugned up for anything after the 7 days. I am not sure I will continue my subscription when it ends as I currently don't replicate any of his portfolios, it is however instructive and I may renew if I can get my head around having so many holdings :-)
HTH

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » April 10th, 2018, 5:23 pm

I take some of JB's ideas for my own portfolio, however ATT looks a bit too hairy for me with all the Facebook Apple Alphabet Microsoft and Amazon large holdings, but as I also hold SMT and rate it highly I think there is too much overlap (and its much cheaper in terms of charges).
MM

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 16th, 2018, 7:21 pm

An observation.

When one starts to dive in to the holdings of the UK Shares in the JB Summer p/f, the actual % of money held in an individual share must be extremely low. For example, the FGT holding is 5.5% of the summer p/f. of which ,say, Diageo would be 0.54% of the Summer P/F.

Would it not be just as easy to buy a FTSE all-share tracker for the UK elements (Bearing in mind, that OLTB also has a HYP p/f. for dividends) ?

I'd be tempted to simply buy a tracker for the UK shares in addition to a HYP - That would cover the UK.

(the real portfolio holding is actually much lower as this does not take any other holdings into account such as the UK HYP)

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”