Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Henderson Far East (HFEL)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
monabri
Lemon Half

Henderson Far East (HFEL)

Postby monabri » June 25th, 2018, 3:58 pm

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exch ... 98700.html

LONDON (Alliance News) - Henderson Far East Income Ltd said Monday it is planning to a move to the UK and become a UK investment trust.

Henderson Far East invests primarily in the Asia Pacific and is seeking to reduce its overseas withholding taxes by moving to the UK.

The company is currently listed in Jersey but, due to the UK's double tax treaty agreements, would likely reduce its tax by becoming a UK tax resident.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Henderson Far East (HFEL)

Postby XFool » June 25th, 2018, 10:50 pm

monabri wrote:http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/alliance-news/detail/1529928031325998700.html

LONDON (Alliance News) - Henderson Far East Income Ltd said Monday it is planning to a move to the UK and become a UK investment trust.

Henderson Far East invests primarily in the Asia Pacific and is seeking to reduce its overseas withholding taxes by moving to the UK.

The company is currently listed in Jersey but, due to the UK's double tax treaty agreements, would likely reduce its tax by becoming a UK tax resident.

Uh? I'm lost. It only moved from the UK to Jersey a few years ago for, presumably, tax reasons. What's changed?

Honestly, I begin to suspect many of these company changes are little more than fashion driven.

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Postby forrado » June 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm

For reasons behind the move see ...

https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/news/citywire-news/double-tax-treaties-draw-henderson-far-east-back-to-london

Double tax-treaties draw Henderson Far East back to London
26 June 2018
Jersey-domiciled Henderson Far East Income plans to move back to the UK to cut costs and benefit from a more advantageous tax treatment the mainland now receives in dealings with countries in Asia Pacific.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » June 28th, 2018, 11:29 am

That's quite handy for me actually. I try to keep as many of my complicated (i.e. not simple straightforward UK-divi-paying) shares in my ISA or SIPP accounts so that I don't need to fill in extra boxes on my tax return. With HFEL "coming home" it makes it a potential candidate for any top ups in my non-ISA/SIPP accounts as well as in my ISA/SIPP accounts. I might never use that option but the increased flexibility is nice to have.

- Julian

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”