Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Blackrock North America paying dividends from capital

Closed-end funds and OEICs
JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Blackrock North America paying dividends from capital

Postby JuanDB » September 7th, 2018, 2:05 pm

I’ve been looking at BRNA as a high yield income IT that has delivered good capital growth over the last 5 years to supplement my income IT portfolio. I calculate the forward yield on an 8p div this year at around 4.4% which seems pretty attractive given the 53% 5 year growth in SP. On reading the annual report I find this years divi is being funded from capital

The Board is conscious that, although the quarterly dividend has increased by 25% from 1.00p per share to 1.25p per share since the Company’s launch in 2012, the strong capital growth of the portfolio during this period (74.8%) has also resulted in a lower dividend yield for new investors. In line with the commitment to a progressive dividend policy, the Board has resolved to pay a quarterly dividend of 2.00p per share in the current financial year, a full year distribution of 8.00p per share, which would represent a dividend yield of approximately 5% at the current share price, paying out a small amount of the Company’s capital profits to achieve this. The investment approach of the Portfolio Managers will not alter as a consequence of this policy, and the Board do not envisage that the proportion of the portfolio over which options are written will increase. The Board believes that this dividend policy will benefit existing shareholders, whilst also making the Company’s shares attractive to new buyers, appealing to retail investors in particular. It is also consistent with the underlying investment objective of the Company and utilises an attractive and distinctive option now open to investment companies, but not available to many open-ended funds]

Interested in other thoughts on BRNA in general and specifically the above tactic.

I’m reading this as a one year action and should expect next years divi to drop inline with prior years growth trajectory.

Thanks,

Juan

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Blackrock North America paying dividends from capital

Postby Lootman » September 7th, 2018, 2:12 pm

An earlier topic about this:

viewtopic.php?t=10664

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Re: Blackrock North America paying dividends from capital

Postby JuanDB » September 7th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Thanks Lootman, both for the link, and the insight on the original thread. Think I’ll keep a watching brief for the time being.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”