Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Murray Income Trust

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Denveraspirant

Murray Income Trust

Postby Denveraspirant » October 6th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Hi there,

I am very new to the forum but keen to learn a lot more about investing.

When I turned 18 I received from my grandfather full control of my share plan with Aberdeen Investments Trust. This plan is currently split between four funds. Several years later, after monitoring the funds regularly and trying to make sound choices with my own savings, I have noticed that Murray Income Trust has been a consistent underperformer on a 5Y basis.

Would anyone recommend starting to sell at this stage? I have been patient and obviously Brexit has had its impact, but there seem to be few signs of improvement.

Best
D

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Re: Murray Income Trust

Postby doug2500 » October 6th, 2018, 6:13 pm

What is it underperforming, the other 3? Or an index?

It would be considered a relatively conservative trust which MAY under perform a bull market (last 5 years) but MIGHT outperform a bear (in the future). The other trusts may be a bit more racey, which conditions may have flattered. Ultimately there is not a hard and fast answer,it depends a lot on you, and you aims and risk tolerances.

But well done Grandad, and well done you for being interested enough to notice, and ask.

Avantegarde
Lemon Slice

Postby Avantegarde » October 6th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Like many UK-focused trusts it has underperformed the FTSE All-Share index for the past five, as its own documents make quite clear: http://documents.financialexpress.net/L ... 192334.pdf

Meanwhile it has charged you nearly 0.7% of your wealth every year for the privilege of chosing a portfolio of about 60 shares that will give you a higher income than the index - something a first-year undergraduate of economics could do.

However the dividends have risen at an average rate of just 1.2% a year for the past five years. A miserable outcome when inflation in the UK has been higher. Ditch this trust and invest in a much cheaper All-Share tracker instead.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 6th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Denveraspirant, It's reasonably well positioned amongst its peers in terms of performance. That whole sector has performed weakly over the last year or two. I am hoping the UK sector will re rate once the Brexit situation is resolved. In the meantime MUT is paying a dividend yield of c 4.40%.

https://citywire.co.uk/money/investment ... Period:36;

https://citywire.co.uk/money/investment ... undID=3102

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”