Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HgCapital

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Avantegarde
Lemon Slice

HgCapital

Postby Avantegarde » December 28th, 2018, 7:41 pm

What do you make (if anything) of HgCapital, the private equity investment trust?

I am attracted for the sake of portfolio diversification, fast-rising dividend growth (10% pa over the past five years), large discount (13%), and excellent total return over the past three years (81%) - which appears to be accelerating.

The latest monthly report is here: http://documents.financialexpress.net/L ... 147491.pdf

What do you think?

Peter1B1
Lemon Pip

Re: HgCapital

Postby Peter1B1 » December 28th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Mmm. I can't say that it attracts me but my goals might be too pedestrian for this hopeful technology sprinter. Being full of unquoteds, I am unlikely to recognise investee names; and probably wouldn't understand them so well if I did! So I'll pass and be content with something likely to achieve 7%pa+ compounding - with hope value on the side.

My technology exposure is via Polar Capital Technology which has done well for me. I'm not concerned at recent market volatility as my time horizon is 30 years before pension drawdown hopefully loom - for the kids.

If you know a bit about these stocks then the fund could offer a diversified approach to future tech, so why not a dabble with a small percentage of your pf? But it looks higher risk than I would want or felt I needed to court. I think I'd want to know more about the actual investment managers and Hg (Mercury's) pedigree. Good luck.

StOmer

Postby StOmer » December 29th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I believe HgCapital was highly regarded by John Newlands back in the day when he ran his own research and produced a regular newsletter. It is currently on a decent discount although has been lower, recent performance is similar to most in the private equity sector which is not great. I own Pantheon which has similar long term performance but no dividend whereas Hg do give a divi. Long term I do like the PE trusts, they often hold very good and interesting companies.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 28th, 2021, 1:00 pm

HgCapital Trust PLC
BrightPay and Relate Software join forces
RNS Number : 2147N
HgCapital Trust PLC
28 September 2021

Hg, the Manager of HgCapital Trust plc ("HGT"), today announces an investment in BrightPay and Relate Software ("Relate"). The two businesses will join forces to create a software champion serving payroll and accounting bureaus and SMEs across the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. Hg will become majority investor in the combined business.

This transaction values HGT's existing investment in BrightPay at £35.3 million, representing an uplift of £14.7 million (3.3 pence per share). Based on the 31 August 2021 reported NAV, the pro-forma NAV of the Trust (including the impact of all announced transactions and equity raised via tap issuance) is expected to be 1.68 billion (or 377.7 pence per share). HGT's liquid resources available for future deployment (including all announced transactions, the interim dividend payable in October and equity raised via tap issuance) are estimated to be £234 million (14% of the pro-forma 31 August 2021 NAV of £1.67 billion).

The investment will reduce HGT's outstanding commitments to invest in Hg transactions to approximately £504 million (30% of the pro-forma 31 August 2021 NAV).

https://www.investegate.co.uk/hgcapital ... 00052147N/

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » December 24th, 2023, 6:18 pm

Hg lands latest windfall from sale of Argus Media stake

https://news.sky.com/story/hg-lands-lat ... e-13037318

A $1bn stake in one of the world’s largest oil pricing data businesses is close to changing hands in a deal that will cap a stellar end to the year for its owner.

As I understand it HGT.L invested in this back in 2019. That's all I've had time for today!

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”