Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Growth Portfolio IT picks

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Quint
2 Lemon pips

Re: Growth Portfolio IT picks

Postby Quint » March 5th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Another thumbs up for Lindsell Train Global Equity, this along with Fundsmith make up a big chunk of the growth part of my SIPP. If I had to choose between the two I would pick Lindsell Train Global Equity. I like Nick Train's take on must see sports as an investment area.

If you have this do not bother with the UK equity version as it has a lot of overlap.

Chukky

Postby Chukky » March 6th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Quint wrote:Another thumbs up for Lindsell Train Global Equity, this along with Fundsmith make up a big chunk of the growth part of my SIPP. If I had to choose between the two I would pick Lindsell Train Global Equity. I like Nick Train's take on must see sports as an investment area.

If you have this do not bother with the UK equity version as it has a lot of overlap.

I agree with you on the overlap between the two, I think the Global Fund misses out on Man Utd and several UK Brewers & Remy Martin to name a few

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » March 9th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Chukky wrote:
Quint wrote:Another thumbs up for Lindsell Train Global Equity, this along with Fundsmith make up a big chunk of the growth part of my SIPP. If I had to choose between the two I would pick Lindsell Train Global Equity. I like Nick Train's take on must see sports as an investment area.

I agree with you on the overlap between the two, I think the Global Fund misses out on Man Utd and several UK Brewers & Remy Martin to name a few

True, if you do not mind the large overlap with Unilever, Diageo, Relx, Heineken and London Stock Exchange making up over 40% of the uk fund and over 30% of the Global. All solid businesses though.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » March 9th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Thanks for sharing.

I have a big chunk of my SIPP in Smithson. I also hold a number of its investments directly, including Domino's Pizza and Spirax Sarco Engineering.

Best wishes

Mark.

Peter1B1
Lemon Pip

Postby Peter1B1 » March 9th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Coming to Chukky's thread late (holidays). Very much agree with the general and positive comments on the way the list is shaping up.

For IT investment, Polar Capital Technology has been good over several years within SIPPs. IT is such a large part of the future that it makes sense to me to have specific exposure.

I took a small punt on Pictet Robotics but it has not excelled and doubt I will increase position at the mo. Other better opportunities within the existing portfolios.

Lindsell Train IT has become a dominant holding due to its out-performance. I have even begun selling it down to avoid concentration (though why move a way from a winner!)

Good luck.

StOmer

Postby StOmer » March 10th, 2019, 9:01 am

Peter1B1 wrote:Lindsell Train IT has become a dominant holding due to its out-performance. I have even begun selling it down to avoid concentration (though why move a way from a winner!)

A persistent concern for me also but this time with Sottish Mortgage and a few others. Last year SMT had exceeded my limit but I let it get to a shade above 20% before finally bringing it down with room to grow again to my 'limit'. I think the key is to be flexible if you have a threshold and be prepared to let it run if it feels right, but keep it under review.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » March 10th, 2019, 11:55 am

StOmer wrote: I think the key is to be flexible if you have a threshold and be prepared to let it run if it feels right, but keep it under review.

Definitely.

You don't want to trim your bushes and water the weeds.

Best wishes

Mark.

Chukky

Postby Chukky » March 12th, 2019, 6:04 pm

My final picks for a Growth Portfolio - not set in stone. I'll be purchasing monthly via my platform's regular investment service in equal parts

Scottish Mortgage
Lindsell Train Global Equity Fund
JPMorgan Emerging Markets Inv Trust
Rights and Issues Trust
Caledonia Investments
TR Property

I'm also keeping an eye on RIT Capital Partners and may purchase if available closer to NAV or indeed discounted

Theres no Terry Smith exposure and no specific IT fund (although one can argue SMT is IT dominant), again something on my watch list for the future.

By the way I found the Correlation tool mentioned on another thread incredibly helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14812&hilit=correlation+tool#p181440
Credit to doug2500

Again thanks to all for the advice and commentary here, I've tried to reflect some of the helpful comments in my choices in the above list.

Thanks again, I look forward to more discussions in the future.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”