Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mid Wynd International.

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Parky
Lemon Slice

Mid Wynd International.

Postby Parky » March 19th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Waiting for Brexit to be sorted out seems to be a failed strategy, so I am feeling the urge to "do something" with accumulated cash.

Mid Wynd MWY caught my eye recently. Medium sized, reasonable performance, reasonable charges, invested in fashionable sectors (e.g. healthcare, technology etc.). At a small premium, but a bit lower than the 12 month average, I thought I might buy some for a long-term hold.

Any views?

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Re: Mid Wynd International.

Postby MaraMan » March 19th, 2019, 3:04 pm

I too have them on my radar for April. They were mentioned recently in Investors Chronicle as one of two preferred Growth IT's.

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/fu ... -isa-2019/

MM

StOmer

Postby StOmer » March 20th, 2019, 3:47 pm

I hold this one which is a bit different from the likes of Scottish Mortgage so for me it is a decent companion, interesting reports that are worth reading. Usually trades on a small premium but you can occasionally catch it on a small discount.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 10th, 2019, 9:18 am

StOmer wrote:I hold this one which is a bit different from the likes of Scottish Mortgage so for me it is a decent companion, interesting reports that are worth reading. Usually trades on a small premium but you can occasionally catch it on a small discount.

I am currently looking at Mid Wynd and would be welcome for any comments. I note they have reduced or sold out of many technology stocks like Amazon, though they are maintaining a wide spread of sectors like healthcare, online services, automation, biotech etc (and include the word income in their mandate (yield 0.96%)).

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » August 12th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Also interested in any additional thoughts on this trust as I'm considering it as a home for a small amount of spare new cash.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 12th, 2019, 7:11 pm

From my own perspective, I am quite attracted to Mid Wynd because I own nothing managed by Artemis and yet they seem to be a very good investment house. I like the spread of investments in Mid Wynd. They, like Scottish Mortgage, are a bit short on dividend if that matters but otherwise I like the look of them and may well take a small punt. ('Taking a position' sounds to me far too pompous) If I do buy some I will keep them for 5 years minimum.

Dod

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » August 12th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Dod101 wrote:From my own perspective, I am quite attracted to Mid Wynd because I own nothing managed by Artemis and yet they seem to be a very good investment house. I like the spread of investments in Mid Wynd. They, like Scottish Mortgage, are a bit short on dividend if that matters but otherwise I like the look of them and may well take a small punt. ('Taking a position' sounds to me far too pompous) If I do buy some I will keep them for 5 years minimum.

Dod

I lurk on another forum and Simon Edelstein (one of the managers) showed up on a thread.

I believe he has £5M of his own money in the trust (he wasn't crass enough to say this, it was in an article I read).

Point being I gravitate towards investments where the people running it have "skin in the game" as I think it lends some weight towards the way they'll approach running my (and their) money.

I like that there seems to be a theme/structure.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 12th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Aminatidi wrote:Also interested in any additional thoughts on this trust as I'm considering it as a home for a small amount of spare new cash.

Dod101 wrote:From my own perspective, I am quite attracted to Mid Wynd because I own nothing managed by Artemis and yet they seem to be a very good investment house. I like the spread of investments in Mid Wynd. They, like Scottish Mortgage, are a bit short on dividend if that matters but otherwise I like the look of them and may well take a small punt. ('Taking a position' sounds to me far too pompous) If I do buy some I will keep them for 5 years minimum.

Dod

I did actually buy into Mid Wynd in the recent falls. I particularly like its holdings and the way it categorises its holdings.
I particularly like the way MWY targets certain themes, (from the MWY fact sheet):-

Healthcare Costs 16.8%
Online Services 15.8%
Emerging Market Consumer 14.9%
Automation 13.9%
Screen Time 11.3%
High Quality Assets 8.7%
Low Carbon World 7.4%
Scientific Equipment 6.0%
Tourism 4.7%

From another recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18719&p=241048&hilit=mwy#p241048

and a much older thread:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5404&p=56009&hilit=mwy#p56009

StOmer

Postby StOmer » August 13th, 2019, 8:45 am

richfool wrote:I particularly like the way MWY targets certain themes, (from the MWY fact sheet)

They also review those themes and change them from time time, eg. recently scrapping the retireee spending power theme.

StOmer

Postby StOmer » August 13th, 2019, 8:52 am

Aminatidi wrote:I lurk on another forum and Simon Edelstein (one of the managers) showed up on a thread.I believe he has £5M of his own money in the trust (he wasn't crass enough to say this, it was in an article I read). Point being I gravitate towards investments where the people running it have "skin in the game" as I think it lends some weight towards the way they'll approach running my (and their) money. I like that there seems to be a theme/structure.

He does pop up on Citywire occasionally and talks sense imho. Following the managers money is something I also like to do although it hasn't worked too well for those following Neil Woodford of course. On balance it seems a good idea to do this though. I hold Mid Wynd and buy more when the premium falls to a decent level, the other issue to watch is the spread which can be higher than expected.

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » August 13th, 2019, 5:09 pm

StOmer wrote:
Aminatidi wrote:I lurk on another forum and Simon Edelstein (one of the managers) showed up on a thread.I believe he has £5M of his own money in the trust (he wasn't crass enough to say this, it was in an article I read). Point being I gravitate towards investments where the people running it have "skin in the game" as I think it lends some weight towards the way they'll approach running my (and their) money. I like that there seems to be a theme/structure.

He does pop up on Citywire occasionally and talks sense imho. Following the managers money is something I also like to do although it hasn't worked too well for those following Neil Woodford of course. On balance it seems a good idea to do this though. I hold Mid Wynd and buy more when the premium falls to a decent level, the other issue to watch is the spread which can be higher than expected.

Thanks, point taken on Woodford, I also have a (sort of) habit of only putting money into things I understand and Cold Fusion sure as hell isn't one of them :)

Presumably if the intention is a long term buy and hold, timing shouldn't be a big deal? The premium at the moment seems OK but every day seems a coin toss on whether the markets (US in particular) will be up 2% or down 2%!

StOmer

Postby StOmer » August 13th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Aminatidi wrote:Presumably if the intention is a long term buy and hold, timing shouldn't be a big deal? The premium at the moment seems OK but every day seems a coin toss on whether the markets (US in particular) will be up 2% or down 2%!

We often see it written that the discount/premium/spread is not relevant for a long term buy-and-hold investor.

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » August 14th, 2019, 9:43 am

Well I'm in :) Not a fortune but it's the "20% ish in 100% equities" slice of my unwrapped account.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”