Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

AIC Income Builder - Free Virtual Portfolio Tool

Closed-end funds and OEICs
pbarne
Lemon Pip

Re: AIC Income Builder - Free Virtual Portfolio Tool

Postby pbarne » January 12th, 2021, 4:35 pm

A request to DavidM13 for a couple of updates to the income builder if there's still scope for additions?
These would be:
Mobeus Income & Growth VCT	MIX
Octopus AIM VCT 2 OSEC
Puma Vct 13 PU13
The Income & Growth VCT IGV

I have another one which I assume is not possible to add as it doesn't subscribe to the AIC?
Pembroke VCT B	                PEMB

Thanks in advance,
Paul

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 12th, 2021, 5:33 pm

pbarne wrote:A request to DavidM13 for a couple of updates to the income builder if there's still scope for additions?
These would be:
Mobeus Income & Growth VCT	MIX
Octopus AIM VCT 2 OSEC
Puma Vct 13 PU13
The Income & Growth VCT IGV

I have another one which I assume is not possible to add as it doesn't subscribe to the AIC?
Pembroke VCT B	                PEMB

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Hi Paul,
Companies should appear automatically when they are eligible. Eligible means a member company with a positive dividend yield.

MIX - this does not have a positive yield. Its recent dividends have been classified as "special" meaning we do not anticipate them recurring. So it should correctly not appear on the Income Builder.
OSEC - I think this should have a positive yield and appear on the builder so I have raised with the data provider
PU13 - this hasn't paid a dividend in recent years so is correctly not appearing.
IGV - I think this should have a positive yield and appear on the builder so I have raised with the data provider
PEMB - You were correct in your appraisal of the situation. No member = no party.

Thanks for pointing these out. If there is an issue getting the two outstanding resolved I will message you or on here.

pbarne
Lemon Pip

Postby pbarne » January 12th, 2021, 5:44 pm

Wow - that was a very quick response - thanks for looking into this!
Paul

pbarne
Lemon Pip

Postby pbarne » January 12th, 2021, 6:21 pm

Just a quick comment in MIX (Mobeus Income & Growth VCT).

You say that the recent dividends have been classed as "special" - and I can see that if I look at the
data on the company page. However it seems like these look like regular payouts towards the
annual target or 4p / share (i.e. nothing special in the sense of being a "one-off" about them
compared to other VCTs) - and I see nothing different about the paper notifications I received
compared other trusts either.

Presumably the trust classifies these to the AIC when they are paid. In their interim report I see that
these dividends are paid from the "Company’s special distributable reserve"

Is there some inconsistency on what "special" means here?

Thanks,
Paul

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 13th, 2021, 9:40 am

pbarne wrote:Just a quick comment in MIX (Mobeus Income & Growth VCT).

You say that the recent dividends have been classed as "special" - and I can see that if I look at the
data on the company page. However it seems like these look like regular payouts towards the
annual target or 4p / share (i.e. nothing special in the sense of being a "one-off" about them
compared to other VCTs) - and I see nothing different about the paper notifications I received

Presumably the trust classifies these to the AIC when they are paid. In their interim report I see that

Thanks,
Paul

I agree with you. They do not look like special to me. Perhaps your theory as to why they are marked as such is correct or perhaps there is a different reason but either way I tend to agree these look like normal dividends to me. I have raised it along with the other two. Will keep you posted on Morningstar fixes

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » January 13th, 2021, 10:02 am

Wow its a big thank you to DavidM13 for his input to this thread.

I find the AIC site really useful in reviewing income profile and to identify potential investments.

Tigger

Postby Tigger » January 13th, 2021, 11:09 am

@DavidM13

A slightly cheeky request on the subject of cleaning up data sets -- could you ask for the big spike in Caledonia's (CLDN) net asset value in its performance chart during 2017 to be removed?
https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P ... erformance

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 13th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Tigger wrote:@DavidM13

A slightly cheeky request on the subject of cleaning up data sets -- could you ask for the big spike in Caledonia's (CLDN) net asset value in its performance chart during 2017 to be removed?
https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P ... erformance

Yuck, someone could get hurt on that spike! Yes, I shall put a ticket in to get it removed.

Tigger

Postby Tigger » January 13th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Yep, it's a nasty one! Thanks for raising a ticket.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 14th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Caledonaia = Spike fixed
IGV = yield fixed
MIX and OSEC = I am still discussing some details on these with our provider so not yet resolved.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 20th, 2021, 12:23 pm

pbarne wrote:Just a quick comment in MIX (Mobeus Income & Growth VCT).

Thanks,
Paul

This has now been changed and they are not special dividends in the sense of the word or meaning we intend. You can see that on our site now.

MIX and OSEC both should have yields but technical issues on our suppliers side is preventing their calculation. (VCT has a different type of yield based on last completed financial year). They assure us they are working on it. As soon as they fix and a yield appears they will appear on Income Builder for selection.

pbarne
Lemon Pip

Postby pbarne » January 21st, 2021, 12:04 pm

Thanks again for your quick response and help.
I'll keep a look out for OSEC and MIX to be added.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » January 29th, 2021, 1:34 pm

DavidM13 wrote:...

Like many others, I really like this feature and greatly appreciate David's efforts in responding to our Foolish queries - I hope he doesn't mind if I put forward another...

When looking at the income produced by a portfolio, there is a choice of year, which doesn't seem to have updated correctly this month. I sometimes look at the "Last 12 months" option to get a general idea of the growth (or decline!) in the "rolling" income of a portfolio. Last year, the other four options were "2019", "2018", "2017" and "Last tax year". I presume the plan is to add "2020". However, having checked the early January dividend payments of a couple of portfolio constituents (JGGI and PEYS), currently the "Last 12 months" actually appears to show the 2020 data, despite stating "Data as at: 28/01/2021". The latest dividends do appear on each IT's homepage on the AIC site.

I just thought I'd mention this in case the matter isn't already in hand.

CP

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 29th, 2021, 3:25 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:

Like many others, I really like this feature and greatly appreciate David's efforts in responding to our Foolish queries - I hope he doesn't mind if I put forward another...

When looking at the income produced by a portfolio, there is a choice of year, which doesn't seem to have updated correctly this month. I sometimes look at the "Last 12 months" option to get a general idea of the growth (or decline!) in the "rolling" income of a portfolio. Last year, the other four options were "2019", "2018", "2017" and "Last tax year". I presume the plan is to add "2020". However, having checked the early January dividend payments of a couple of portfolio constituents (JGGI and PEYS), currently the "Last 12 months" actually appears to show the 2020 data, despite stating "Data as at: 28/01/2021". The latest dividends do appear on each IT's homepage on the AIC site.

CP

Thanks. Let me look in to this.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » January 29th, 2021, 5:54 pm

AIC Statistics are really useful, one feature that was present previously was the extensive comparison table of indices for various regional and global markets, incredibly useful. Would be great to see that again, I struggle to find other sites that offer that anywhere.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » January 30th, 2021, 9:07 am

I was just wondering why FCIT is not showing on the dividend diary. I know it is a "minnow" on dividend, 1.5%, but I have taken a small slice of them for my Granddaughters JISA. All indications on sites show due 1/2/21? Not a special just one of the 4 quarterly payouts. The November payout is shown?

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 30th, 2021, 3:03 pm

seagles wrote:I was just wondering why FCIT is not showing on the dividend diary. I know it is a "minnow" on dividend, 1.5%, but I have taken a small slice of them for my Granddaughters JISA. All indications on sites show due 1/2/21? Not a special just one of the 4 quarterly payouts. The November payout is shown?

Yes I see that it appears on the dividend diary with a pay date of 01/01/21 instead of 01/02/21. I have asked M* to fix this so when they are back at work on Monday they will change that. Doesn't affect returns or yields but does affect the income builder and dividend diary so thanks for a pointing out.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 30th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Hariseldon58 wrote:AIC Statistics are really useful, one feature that was present previously was the extensive comparison table of indices for various regional and global markets, incredibly useful. Would be great to see that again, I struggle to find other sites that offer that anywhere.

I am afraid the licensing fees are prohibitive so we cannot do that. HOWEVER, we have the Morningstar indices on the performance page of the majority of the equity investment companies. These are part of their "open index" initiative helping to drive down the costs. They correlate almost perfectly with the more famous indices. e.g. Morningstar UK correlates with FTSE All Share and Morningstar Developed Markets correlates with the MSCI World. So you can see how the companies stack up against their peers and an appropriate benchmark now.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » February 1st, 2021, 10:07 am

DavidM13 wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:

CP

Thanks. Let me look in to this.

Well, "2020" appeared as an option by the end of the same day (29th Jan), and although "Last 12 months" was giving the same figure as 2020 then, it now appears to be completely up to date (including dividend payments made on 29th).

Fantastic, thanks!

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » February 1st, 2021, 10:26 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:

CP

The 2020 drop down is now showing.

Under the last 12 months tab the 5.7p for December 2020 is showing but the 5.7p that was announced in January 2021 is not showing yet as its based on pay date. This shows in the dividend diary as 1st March 2021 and will not be on the income builder chart until that month is complete. I will put a little note by the as at date to clarify that all data is last close apart from the graph data which is based on completed historic months only.

Thanks!

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”