Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

New IT selection

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Luniversal
2 Lemon pips

Re: New IT selection

Postby Luniversal » June 11th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Interesting, I only looked at the pritty graphs, eg a FTSE 100 tracker v CTY looks remarkably similar, and for the last year the tracker has outperformed it, but only by a bit and only for a year so who's counting.

But can you compare CTY to the all-share index, or skew it to FTSE 100 or 350 as I thought it was much more heavily invested in the larger stocks?

I use the All-Share Index as a universal comparator for trusts, but since 90% or more of it is the FTSE 100 there is not a lot of difference. CTY, as you say, inclines to the biggest stocks but cites the FTAS as one of three benchmarks, alongside the AIC peer group and comparable open-ended funds.

The relative performance indicator that really matters to me is the Retail Prices Index. I seek to preserve the purchasing power of my capital and income, without too much of a switchback ride.

Here is CTY's latest factsheet:

https://az768132.vo.msecnd.net/document ... 3.gzip.pdf

runnygum
Lemon Pip

Postby runnygum » June 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Id agree with the others in this thread who have suggested an ETF portfolio.
Having run an ETF vs IT test over the last 3 years I have found IT's sorely wanting.

ETF capital gain is 2x the IT gains, dividends are 10% ahead for ETF's.

Perhaps not surprising given the closer to 1% total costs for IT's vs the 0.3% or so for ETF.

Id be doing a global ETF. VWRL or VHYL or mix thereof etc. Add tilts to suit Euro vs Emerging etc whatever your fancy.

Discretionary expensive management is dead to me :)

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » June 15th, 2019, 4:36 pm

runnygum wrote:Id agree with the others in this thread who have suggested an ETF portfolio.
Having run an ETF vs IT test over the last 3 years I have found IT's sorely wanting.

ETF capital gain is 2x the IT gains, dividends are 10% ahead for ETF's.

Perhaps not surprising given the closer to 1% total costs for IT's vs the 0.3% or so for ETF.

Id be doing a global ETF. VWRL or VHYL or mix thereof etc. Add tilts to suit Euro vs Emerging etc whatever your fancy.

Discretionary expensive management is dead to me :)

Interesting... what ETFs did you use for this backtesting? Diversification is important to a lot of people, which is why ITs are often used, did your ETF basket cover the same areas?

runnygum
Lemon Pip

Postby runnygum » June 17th, 2019, 1:07 pm

List of ETF's are here, pretty much all world if you include GBDV but income based.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17707&p=230146#p230146

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”