Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

British Empire Trust

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Dod101
The full Lemon

British Empire Trust

Postby Dod101 » June 1st, 2019, 7:24 am

I see that this old Trust has been renamed and is now known as AVI Global Trust. That is a horrible and unmemorable name if I ever heard one. Not that there is much in a name. Its results have not been very good either. Might even be confused by some with that well know insurer Aviva.

However I think the Board of Directors of any trust should remain independent of the managers and I do not like the fact that this name now incorporated the name of the managers, making it very difficult to change manager if they want to. What are they, in effect self managed or independent? I think we should know.

Dod

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Re: British Empire Trust

Postby Pendrainllwyn » June 1st, 2019, 12:21 pm

Well they were right that British Empire Trust didn't helpfully describe what the fund does! But yes I agree the new name is hardly inspiring or much more informative. I actually liked the completely outdated and meaningless name. I suspect part of their motive was to make Asset Value Investors better known. The fund has done well for me, I like the portfolio manager, Joe Bauernfreund, their investment philosophy and holdings and am open to adding to my position. I follow what they invest in quite closely and a number of their holdings have become long term positions of mine.

Pendrainllwyn

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 1st, 2019, 12:44 pm

I guess if I were to be more positive we should really look under the bonnet. I held this trust for some years and it did well for me too. I like t proposition; identifying undervalued companies, often investment companies and waiting for the market to recognise that, engaging with managements on the meantime. I lost patience though and sold, so I have rather lost touch recently.

But they should have left the name. Scottish Mortgage does not do mortgages, nor does anyone expect them to but the name is well known and a just as meaningless as British Empire or AVI.

Dod

JoyofBrex8889
2 Lemon pips

Postby JoyofBrex8889 » June 12th, 2019, 4:46 am

Wokester renaming= Strong sell signal for me.

The prior name was nothing to cringe about.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”