Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

dipping my toe in the water

Closed-end funds and OEICs
mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

dipping my toe in the water

Postby mrbrightside » September 4th, 2019, 2:06 pm

56 years old. Still working full-time. Looking to retire c. 60.
Mortgage paid off. Debt free.
ISA comprising 5 Vanguard ETF's (VUSA, VJPN, VFEM, VERX, VAPX)
HYP SIPP in build phase since 2003. Happy with the capital and income but becoming slightly unwieldy (39 shares).

Like others on LMF, the recent unexpected increase in Greene King share price persuaded me to sell and simultaneously consider a consolidation into alternative funds (ease of management, maintaining income, potential handover to spouse etc).

I haven't disposed of any other HYP shares but may do so (smaller holdings, lower yielders, dividend cutters) in future. This is primarily why I have not selected any UK Equity Income IT's (CTY, MRCH, MUT) as it would merely duplicate my HYP.

After much research here (thanks to all), I have finally settled on these funds for the GNK proceeds for a wider diversification both globally and to try to combine growth and income:-

- Scottish Mortgage Trust (SMT)
- Murray International (MYI)
- Henderson Far East Income (HFEL)
- JPMorgan European Investment Trust (JETI) # Also considered EAT, slightly worried about Europe in current Brexit uncertainty

...and a single Vanguard ETF as a control to evaluate performance against the IT's.

- Vanguard FTSE All-World High Dividend Yield (VHYL)

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Re: dipping my toe in the water

Postby JuanDB » September 4th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Interesting approach MrBrightside. Some very different beasts in your choice of ITs, and as a set Vs VHYL. At a guess the ITs comprise 300 holdings max Vs 1500 for VHYL so much more concentrated.

It would be interesting to see progress over time of this comparison.

Good Luck!

Juan.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Re: dipping my toe in the water

Postby mrbrightside » September 6th, 2019, 10:47 am

JuanDB wrote:Some very different beasts in your choice of ITs, and as a set Vs VHYL. At a guess the ITs comprise 300 holdings max Vs 1500 for VHYL so much more concentrated.

Hi Juan

Your point about the number of respective holdings interested me and you were pretty close with your estimates.

SMT- 85 holdings
HFEL - 48 holdings
MYI - - 78 holdings
JETI - 260 holdings
VHYL - 1,487 holdings

Andy

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”