Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Perpetual Income and Growth Investment Trust (PLI)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
ZipserSir
2 Lemon pips

Perpetual Income and Growth Investment Trust (PLI)

Postby ZipserSir » November 16th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Hello, have been away a while and got back to a pile of cash from Green King. I've decided that I want to rely less on direct share holdings through my HYP and would like to buy IT's instead. I already hold CTY, HCL, MYI, and SMT, and like PLI because it has a reliable yield history and is currently offering +4.5% and its objectives match my own "provide shareholders with capital growth and real growth in dividends over the medium to longer term".

I know and like the principle of holding ITs - any thoughts about PLI?

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Perpetual Income and Growth Investment Trust (PLI)

Postby jackdaww » November 16th, 2019, 6:25 pm

ZipserSir wrote:Hello, have been away a while and got back to a pile of cash from Green King. I've decided that I want to rely less on direct share holdings through my HYP and would like to buy IT's instead. I already hold CTY, HCL, MYI, and SMT, and like PLI because it has a reliable yield history and is currently offering +4.5% and its objectives match my own "provide shareholders with capital growth and real growth in dividends over the medium to longer term".

==============================

major holdings are --

bp bats legal rdsb btg imps hiscox roche bt novartis next burford .

you may already have many in your HYP already .

current discount around 10% .

:)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 16th, 2019, 6:32 pm

ZipserSir wrote:Hello, have been away a while and got back to a pile of cash from Green King. I've decided that I want to rely less on direct share holdings through my HYP and would like to buy IT's instead. I already hold CTY, HCL, MYI, and SMT, and like PLI because it has a reliable yield history and is currently offering +4.5% and its objectives match my own "provide shareholders with capital growth and real growth in dividends over the medium to longer term".

PLI will be fishing in the same pond as CTY (as the saying goes). There are also views about, that PLI manager Mike Barnett has somewhat lost his way, or is just suffering from adverse publicity around the fact that he previously worked with Neil Woodford. PLI's past performance over 1,3 & 5 years isn't great, but then CTY hasn't done so well over the last 1 & 3 years either (see tables below).

Assuming you have a reasonable size holding of CTY, why not look at an alternative sector, or add another trust in the Global G&I sector, one which has a different focus to MYI, - e.g. JPGI? Or add a trust from the Asia Pacific region, like JAI, AAIF or HFEL.

Disc: I hold JPGI & JAI and MYI.

https://citywire.co.uk/funds_insider/in ... ePeriod=12

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... st-ord-10p

https://citywire.co.uk/funds_insider/in ... ePeriod=12

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... plc-ord-5p

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » November 17th, 2019, 10:08 pm

I topped up only yesterday with half the proceeds from Greene King. The rest will probably go into a Japan trust but I haven't decided which one yet.

john

Bluestone77

Postby Bluestone77 » November 18th, 2019, 8:06 am

A good tool to see geographical spread and holding overlap of ITs is the Morningstar X Ray tool. So you can see how different a new IT will be to you existing holdings:
http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/t92wz0sj ... geId=en-GB

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » November 18th, 2019, 9:58 am

Invesco Income Growth (IVI) is a sound fund investing in the UK space you were mentioning but has the great advantage of no connection (other than Invesco) with Barnett and his possibly uninspired recent investments.
It trades on a good 15% ish discount, yields about 4.4% and apart from the wide discount a reasonable NAV record.
I suspect this does trade at a large discount because the this sector tends to be out of favour at present but possibly because the name is so similar to Barnetts trust ?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 27th, 2019, 8:28 am

Just to complicate matters further...... look at Schroder Income Growth IT (SCF).
I've done quite well with this in my IT basket. It won't shoot the lights out, but it has returned a couple of percent more than PLI for me. The discount is around 8% which suggests more confidence than PLI. Yield of 4.4% and modest performance would be a good stand-in for what you might have had from Greene King in future.

Alternatively, there are plenty of good overseas ITs JMG, JEMI, HFEL etc etc.

Arb.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”