Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Safe(ish) hands for 7-12 Years

Closed-end funds and OEICs
baldchap
Lemon Slice

Safe(ish) hands for 7-12 Years

Postby baldchap » March 22nd, 2020, 6:45 pm

Hello All

Well it is an interesting time to be opening a SIPP & ISA for my better half.
The plan is not to touch them for the next 7-12 years.

I don't imagine the platform will be looked at often, but a sea of red might startle, and a quarterly div will bring a nice touch of dopamine, therefore I am considering the usual safe suspects which favour growth as much as income, FCIT, BNKR, WTAN, etc, etc...
Probably 1-2 in the ISA which I hope to fully fund this year and then add little drips, and 2-3 in the SIPP which will have regular monthly contributions.

Thoughts/comments please. Am I being too safe, should I be picking up a distressed UK IT ?

* I know this has been done to death, but at least we are not discussing viruses or the 'bottom'.

Bob

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Re: Safe(ish) hands for 7-12 Years

Postby 77ss » March 22nd, 2020, 7:44 pm

baldchap wrote:Hello All

Well it is an interesting time to be opening a SIPP & ISA for my better half.
The plan is not to touch them for the next 7-12 years.

I don't imagine the platform will be looked at often, but a sea of red might startle, and a quarterly div will bring a nice touch of dopamine, therefore I am considering the usual safe suspects which favour growth as much as income, FCIT, BNKR, WTAN, etc, etc...
Probably 1-2 in the ISA which I hope to fully fund this year and then add little drips, and 2-3 in the SIPP which will have regular monthly contributions.

Thoughts/comments please. Am I being too safe, should I be picking up a distressed UK IT ?

* I know this has been done to death, but at least we are not discussing viruses or the 'bottom'.

Bob

I suspect the falls may have further to go yet - whatever you choose. I would have thought dribbling your cash in over a period of months more sensible.

Consider the financial crash - FCIT fell by nearly 50%; the fall YTD is only 30%.
HSL fell by over 75%; the fall YTD is only 50%.

Both took over 4 years for the share price to recover. Are you in such a rush? OK, you may lose out on this years tax shelter - the relevant aphorism is 'don't let the tax tail wag the investment dog'.

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Re: Safe(ish) hands for 7-12 Years

Postby baldchap » March 22nd, 2020, 9:08 pm

Re The ISA I actually meant this year 2020, not the tax year, but regardless an ISA can be funded before the tax year, but not necessarily invested right away.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”