Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Top-up to OLTB's IT Portfolio

Closed-end funds and OEICs
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Top-up to OLTB's IT Portfolio

Postby OLTB » April 1st, 2020, 10:31 am

Morning all

I have just introduced BlackRock World Mining Trust to my IT portfolio - this makes up 2.5% of my portfolio which now looks as follows:

The 'stated' column is the recommended percentage holding from the John Baron 'Summer' portfolio and the 'current' column is the value of my holdings. I don't tinker with these now (apart from entire sales or new ITs) as the trading costs affect the performance so much (it's a small portfolio value wise).

Cheers, OLTB.

Dumbo

Re: Top-up to OLTB's IT Portfolio

Postby Dumbo » April 2nd, 2020, 5:01 pm

So many IT's. Diworseification comes to mind.

why not just a few Trackers?

Good luck anyway.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 2nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

Dumbo wrote:So many IT's. Diworseification comes to mind.

Good luck anyway.

Crikey, if you call that 'Diworsification' I dread to think what sort of word would describe my portfolio!

Then again, I've never really bought into that concept. First used, I think, in TMF days and too much like advertising or tabloid sound-bites for my liking. I like lots of holdings. Different sectors, geographical regions, ITs, funds, single shares whatever. Different providers, different ISAs. It's doing very well indeed and I sleep more easily.

The only disadvantage is if I should ever want to sell in a hurry. That would take ages! Maybe Halifax, ii and AJBell should introduce a big red button specifically for emergencies? :-)

Steve

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » April 2nd, 2020, 8:22 pm

Dumbo wrote:So many IT's. Diworseification comes to mind.

Good luck anyway.

Hi Dumbo

I do have a Passive portfolio as well, and decided to split the investment styles as I didn’t know which one would be the best in the longer term.

As for diworseification, possibly, but I’m willing to give it time to see how things go.

Cheers, OLTB.

Mememe

Postby Mememe » April 2nd, 2020, 10:55 pm

Too many holding for me I’m afraid. I enjoy reading john barons articles in the IC but would love to know his reasoning behind having so many holdings, especially UK

I like most of the trusts there’s just too many. If it was mine and I was going to make changes I’d cut the UK ITs to just Finsbury and Henderson smaller. Keep the internstional ones.

Chop the themes to just infrastructure and private equity. Tech and biotech will be sufficiently covered in the other ITs

Bin the generalist

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » April 3rd, 2020, 8:11 am

Mememe wrote:Too many holding for me I’m afraid. I enjoy reading john barons articles in the IC but would love to know his reasoning behind having so many holdings, especially UK

To give him something to write about? ;)

moneybagz
Lemon Pip

Postby moneybagz » April 3rd, 2020, 1:10 pm

Diworsification - is there a tool out there that can compare your portfolio as a whole against a world tracker etc to work out which funds held in combination do little more than track the market?

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”