Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Scottish Mortgage heading for where

Closed-end funds and OEICs
mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Re: Scottish Mortgage heading for where

Postby mark88man » April 14th, 2024, 8:39 am

Hello

I reinvested in a basket of IT when I moved my company group pension/plan to my SIPP around this time last year

SMT has been amongst my better performers (unlike SERE as although the income is nice the capital position is shocking). I enjoy reading this board, as an amateur it gives me both confirmation bias and information !! My decision is to rebalance or let my winners run (I am wary of not missing some returns if it heads South again - as has been discussed before).

Does anybody have any thoughts or updates on their own thinking.

Much appreciated
Mark

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 14th, 2024, 9:04 am

mark88man wrote:Does anybody have any thoughts or updates on their own thinking.

I have bought and sold SMT a couple of times over the past 5 or 6 years. I liked the techie theme, and stayed for the rise adding on the way up. I saw my holding double and then some and took a profit in my tax planning, selling at it all 1400 which looks clever with hindsight but wasn't. I re bought a smaller amount at a lower price in my SIPP and would not get back as much as I paid for it should I sell now. It'll stay where it is for now. I think the theme is still good and I've just checked the top 10 holdings and they look like shares I'm inclined to keep.

clissold345
2 Lemon pips

Postby clissold345 » April 14th, 2024, 10:04 am

mark88man wrote:...
Does anybody have any thoughts or updates on their own thinking.

I have a smallish investment in SMT. SMT is still supposedly on a 10% discount (they have sizeable investments in unlisted companies). SMT seems to have occasional dramatic rises and dramatic falls. It's had a good run up (from dismal lows) in the last four months or so. If it has another similar runup this year or next year, I'll probably sell half.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 14th, 2024, 10:18 am

I have a large holding bought as low as 135p. I have kept them throughout and obviously it was a mistake not to get out at 1500p, particularly as I thought at that time that they were over exposed to China and were mistaken not to recognize the huge political risks there. Still inertia has always been the driving force of my investment strategy and has usually, in the long run, turned out to the correct.

I will hang on and my rationale for doing so is that I think their unquoted investments will come good. They have large holdings in companies like Space X and, apart from the China mistake, I still back their judgement on these things.

mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Postby mark88man » April 18th, 2024, 10:31 am

Thanks for those updates. Sorry for delay I have been away from my laptop for a few days

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”