Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Overlooked opportunities within IT's

Closed-end funds and OEICs
OllyDrod
2 Lemon pips

Re: Overlooked opportunities within IT's

Postby OllyDrod » July 6th, 2020, 1:56 pm

richfool wrote:
In my travels (search), I did come across AGT (AVI Global Trust) (in the global growth sector), which holds Oakley Capital (a 7% stake), along with Pershing Square Holdings, Softbank Group, Kinnevik, Third Point Offshore and Sony in its top ten holdings. (33% in Japan). I believe it targets value investments. Yield: 2.38%. Discount: 10.61%

Its former name may be more familiar - British Empire Trust (BTEM). It's got a value focus and a global remit, but in recent years has made a bit of a speciality of buying into cash-rich Japanese firms and lobbying their boards to make better use of capital, divest themselves of legacy assets/subsidiaries, improve corporate governance, etc. Quite an interesting IT. Have held for years - been a good performer.
- OllyDrod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 23rd, 2020, 7:23 pm

OllyDrod wrote:
richfool wrote:
In my travels (search), I did come across AGT (AVI Global Trust) (in the global growth sector), which holds Oakley Capital (a 7% stake), along with Pershing Square Holdings, Softbank Group, Kinnevik, Third Point Offshore and Sony in its top ten holdings. (33% in Japan). I believe it targets value investments. Yield: 2.38%. Discount: 10.61%

Its former name may be more familiar - British Empire Trust (BTEM). It's got a value focus and a global remit, but in recent years has made a bit of a speciality of buying into cash-rich Japanese firms and lobbying their boards to make better use of capital, divest themselves of legacy assets/subsidiaries, improve corporate governance, etc. Quite an interesting IT. Have held for years - been a good performer.
- OllyDrod

I took a piece of AGT (AVI Global trust) today. I decided I liked the exposure to Japan and it holds a few private equity and hedge funds, as you mention above. It gives me some exposure to areas I wouldn't be brave enough to venture into directly.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 13th, 2021, 9:33 am

OllyDrod wrote:
richfool wrote:

- OllyDrod

I started a new thread specifically about AVI Global (AGT), with a recent Intelligence Report from Kepler, if it's of interest, here:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=28890&p=403700&hilit=avi+agt#p403700

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”