Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

IT suggestions

Closed-end funds and OEICs
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: IT suggestions

Postby mc2fool » July 29th, 2020, 1:59 pm

spiderbill wrote:That's something I've been unclear about and really must ask my accountant to understand the specifics. Exactly how does tax work on unsheltered OEICs - both when they are rising in value and when they are falling, as has been the case recently. Was waiting to see the tax return figures on it but kicking myself that I don't already have a clear understanding.

What is there that you don't understand? CGT for OEICs is no different to any other similar investment; the gain (or loss) is the difference between the base cost and the proceeds when you sell. It doesn't matter if they're rising or falling at the time, e.g. if you bought for 10 and sold for 10 the gain is 0, irrespective of whether they were trading for 5 or 15 the day before.

As with other investments, you can take off direct costs, e.g. dealing fees, etc. The only* quirk that affects OEICs, UTs and ETFs (but not shares or ITs) is that if you buy their accumulation class you also get to take off (i.e. add to the base cost) the dividends you nominally received but didn't 'cos they were auto-reinvested into the fund.

(* for some ETFs there's also potentially excess reportable income but let's not go there in this thread/board. ;))

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » July 29th, 2020, 4:29 pm

jackdaww wrote:
TUK020 wrote:alternate suggestion for capital growth:

not an IT, but an ETF

L&G Global 100

very low cost, give good exposure to tech & US market

=========================

do you have the tidm ticker code please?

L& G Global100 accumulation
GB00B0CNH056:GBX

FT info sheet
https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/tears ... CNH056:GBX

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 29th, 2020, 5:13 pm

TUK020 wrote:alternate suggestion for capital growth:

not an IT, but an ETF

L&G Global 100

very low cost, give good exposure to tech & US market

Not an ETF but an UT. ;)

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » July 30th, 2020, 11:09 am

spiderbill wrote:Exactly how does tax work on unsheltered OEICs - both when they are rising in value and when they are falling, as has been the case recently. Was waiting to see the tax return figures on it but kicking myself that I don't already have a clear understanding.

AIUI, they are taxed when sold at the gain from the purchase price. Unless you sell, no CGT is payable, so I try and turn some over each tax year simply to use the CGT allowance.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”