Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Unwrapped Growth IT Portfolio

Closed-end funds and OEICs
thedukewood

Unwrapped Growth IT Portfolio

Postby thedukewood » July 24th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Hi everyone

I am lucky enough to have pretty much maxed out my SIPP and ISA
I am thinking of running a growth IT portfolio and simply harvesting any gains as and when I can within my CGT allowance that I rarely use.
If any one can help me build this/ make suggestions that would be much appreciated.

I do have some ideas which are coming in at 8-12 lines and already have Scottish Mortgage to start - sadly very modest amount went it.
I am thinking if possible I'd like to reduce the lines if I can without increasing risk too much to mitigate trading costs in buying and when taking the gains.
I am probably also going to reduce my small co exposure in sipp etc to reflect that will be higher here and also in VCT which I am just getting into.

Thank you

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Unwrapped Growth IT Portfolio

Postby Lootman » July 24th, 2020, 4:28 pm

thedukewood wrote:I am thinking of running a growth IT portfolio and simply harvesting any gains as and when I can within my CGT allowance that I rarely use. If any one can help me build this/ make suggestions that would be much appreciated.

I set up one of these many years ago and it has been successful in the sense that I now have unrealised gains amounting to a six-figure sum and so have no problem fully utilising my annual CGT-free allowance each year. In fact many of the individual positions are showing a gain that exceeds the annual allowance.

I list the ITs below. Position sizes vary between £15,000 and £45,000. Without further comment these are my holdings (including two that are not ITs) loosely listed in order of increasing position size.

Blackrock Throgmorton
Jupiter European
Caledonia
RIT
Biotech Growth
JP Morgan Japan
JP Morgan American
North Atlantic Smaller Companies
Scottish Mortgage
Fundsmith (open-ended fund, my only one)
Capital Gearing
Personal Assets
Barrick (Canadian gold miner)
Lindsell Train

I do have another taxable account but that has a different investment objective and so won't mention it here.

thedukewood

Postby thedukewood » July 24th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Thanks that's very helpful.
I will have a look at these and how they compare to ones I have shortlisted from other things I have read etc.
Then ofcoure it's working out weightings and when do have the balls to buy

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 25th, 2020, 11:55 am

thedukewood wrote:Hi everyone

I am lucky enough to have pretty much maxed out my SIPP and ISA
I am thinking of running a growth IT portfolio and simply harvesting any gains as and when I can within my CGT allowance that I rarely use.
If any one can help me build this/ make suggestions that would be much appreciated.

I do have some ideas which are coming in at 8-12 lines and already have Scottish Mortgage to start - sadly very modest amount went it.
I am thinking if possible I'd like to reduce the lines if I can without increasing risk too much to mitigate trading costs in buying and when taking the gains.
I am probably also going to reduce my small co exposure in sipp etc to reflect that will be higher here and also in VCT which I am just getting into.

Thank you

For outright growth trusts, I would tend to look at SMT, Monks, and perhaps a slightly more cautious MWY (Mid Wynd) in the global growth sector, along with...
USA in the US growth sector.
PHI (Pacific Horizon) in the Asia Pacific sector (high exposure to China).
BGEU (Baillie Gifford European Growth trust) in the Europe sector (includes some unlisted holdings {as does SMT])

For some ideas/suggestions about growth IT's, you could also take a look at the holdings of BMPG. (BMO Managed Portfolio growth).

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rowth-shrs

Hyndford

Postby Hyndford » July 25th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Another thing to consider could be the dividend yield and try to keep lower / zero dividend paying ITs in your unwrapped portfolio when the dividend allowance starts to bite.

I've started on this journey too and have recently bought my first holdings of 50% CGT and 50% EWI.

I'm planning to hold different ITs to my ISA so that I can swap between the two when the time comes to realise a gain and remain invested.

buffetlunch

Postby buffetlunch » July 25th, 2020, 3:49 pm

I too started a growth portfolio five years ago which has returned 200% to date. Holdings have changed/rebalanced from the original selections and currently are as follows:

Fundsmith Equity
Impax Environmental Markets
Scottish Mortgage Trust
The Biotech Growth Trust
Witan Investment Trust
Worldwide Healthcare

Growth is not my normal hunting ground but I have been more than happy with the returns so far.

thedukewood

Postby thedukewood » July 25th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Thanks to everyone who has contributed ideas.
Certainly some more food for thought to go through
Will then also have work out when to have the balls to buy in - ie: just going for it or waiting for targets to be at less than historical discount / premium

thedukewood

Postby thedukewood » December 19th, 2020, 10:57 pm

I'm still dithering with this although did buy some SMT a while ago.
Do any of you more experience IT investors have any thoughts on what to consider / when to buy in as the whole discount/premium thing causes me to procrastinate I think

Thank you and Seasons Greetings ( from the newly created Tier 4!)

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”