Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Sunday Times Article

Closed-end funds and OEICs
yieldhog
Lemon Slice

Sunday Times Article

Postby yieldhog » December 13th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Interesting article about ITs in The Sunday Times today, entitled:
"Ways you can get a regular income from your funds."
Suggested funds include:
International Public Partnerships
JP Morgan Claverhouse
Law Debenture
Merchants High Yield
Troy Income and Growth
Finsbury Growth and Income
None of which I own.
Sorry I can't provide a link since I'm not an online suscriber.
Y

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sunday Times Article

Postby johnhemming » December 13th, 2020, 3:32 pm

I am a subscriber
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how- ... -txhp6vkmt

A reasonable extract from the article is this:
For those seeking a yield from investment trusts, Ewan Lovett-Turner from Numis Securities, a stockbroker, suggests International Public Partnerships, which yields 4.4 per cent from a portfolio of 130 infrastructure investments. Its largest holdings include Cadent, a gas distribution network, and the Tideway, the “super-sewer” under the Thames.

He also likes JP Morgan Claverhouse, which has investments in the pharmaceutical giants Astrazeneca and Glaxosmithkline.

Elliott goes for Law Debenture, which yields 4.5 per cent, and City Merchants High Yield, which has a 5.3 per cent yield.

Moore picks Troy Income & Growth trust,which yields 3.8 per cent and invests in a blend of solid income-producing companies, such as Astrazeneca.He also likes Finsbury Growth & Income trust, which yields 2.1 per cent, but grows its income steadily as well as generating substantial capital growth.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 13th, 2020, 5:43 pm

johnhemming wrote:Moore picks Troy Income & Growth trust,which yields 3.8 per cent and invests in a blend of solid income-producing companies, such as Astrazeneca.He also likes Finsbury Growth & Income trust, which yields 2.1 per cent, but grows its income steadily as well as generating substantial capital growth.

Funnily enough those are the only two income, or growth-and-income" funds that I own. I favour a lower running yield that enables a broader choice of shares, especially those with safe and growing dividends, rather than going all out for yield as some here like to do.

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » December 13th, 2020, 6:52 pm

johnhemming wrote:I am a subscriber

For those seeking a yield from investment trusts, Ewan Lovett-Turner from Numis Securities, a stockbroker, suggests International Public Partnerships, which yields 4.4 per cent from a portfolio of 130 infrastructure investments. Its largest holdings include Cadent, a gas distribution network, and the Tideway, the “super-sewer” under the Thames.

He also likes JP Morgan Claverhouse, which has investments in the pharmaceutical giants Astrazeneca and Glaxosmithkline.

Elliott goes for Law Debenture, which yields 4.5 per cent, and City Merchants High Yield, which has a 5.3 per cent yield.

Moore picks Troy Income & Growth trust,which yields 3.8 per cent and invests in a blend of solid income-producing companies, such as Astrazeneca.He also likes Finsbury Growth & Income trust, which yields 2.1 per cent, but grows its income steadily as well as generating substantial capital growth.

Thanks for the information. I will look at International Public Partnerships, which I was not aware of, as an alternative to Sequoia SEQI , of which I have a small holding, and appears to do the same thing.
I do hate articles like this though, which expect me to be impressed by learning that someone I have never heard of "likes" this or that fund. That's just lazy journalism.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » December 13th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Parky wrote:I do hate articles like this though, which expect me to be impressed by learning that someone I have never heard of "likes" this or that fund. That's just lazy journalism.

Personally I don't invest in funds. I may do in the future, but I prefer to invest in holding companies. I posted it to be helpful not because I think any of the suggestions are any good.

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » December 14th, 2020, 8:07 am

johnhemming wrote:
Parky wrote:I do hate articles like this though, which expect me to be impressed by learning that someone I have never heard of "likes" this or that fund. That's just lazy journalism.

Personally I don't invest in funds. I may do in the future, but I prefer to invest in holding companies. I posted it to be helpful not because I think any of the suggestions are any good.

Not criticising you John - just having a rant about financial journalism in general.

MickR
2 Lemon pips

Postby MickR » December 14th, 2020, 10:18 am

They're not as bad as their Funds Focus articles, where invariably they chose a fund that doing pretty badly, running in the 3rd or 4th quartile over 1, 3 and 5 years. I'm never quite sure why they highlight these funds, as a buy recommendation, or ones to avoid

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » December 14th, 2020, 5:14 pm

I was little curious about INPP. So went to the company's website. The company lists its stake in Thames Tideway [project value £3.8Bn] as 15% say £0.67Bn. HL lists INPPs market cap as £2.8Bn. Would this mean that around 25% INPP is invested in Thmes Tideway or is the actual figure somewhat lower because the tideway project is still in the construction phase?

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 14th, 2020, 5:52 pm

HillManMill wrote:

I was little curious about INPP. So went to the company's website. The company lists its stake in Thames Tideway [project value £3.8Bn] as 15% say £0.67Bn. HL lists INPPs market cap as £2.8Bn. Would this mean that around 25% INPP is invested in Thmes Tideway or is the actual figure somewhat lower because the tideway project is still in the construction phase?

8.9% at fair value according to their half-year report https://documentscdn.financialexpress.n ... 353128.pdf (p12)

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”