Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Schiehallion Fund

Closed-end funds and OEICs
will89
2 Lemon pips

Re: Schiehallion Fund

Postby will89 » March 2nd, 2021, 5:13 pm

FYI, this is available on IBKR. I've bought myself some as you all seem to want to but cant, which must be a good sign!...

mayanand

Postby mayanand » March 4th, 2021, 12:38 am

I bought some using IBKR but the liquidity is almost non-existent. It took a week for my order to execute. I am a USA tax resident and bought it in my Roth IRA because of the tax treatments that PFICs get here.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 4th, 2021, 12:44 am

What is IBKR?

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 4th, 2021, 8:45 am

joey wrote:
Dod101 wrote:What is IBKR?

Dod

Interactive Brokers. It’s very trader oriented. As in, professional traders for institutions. But us plebs are able to get an account too.

Thanks joey.

Dod

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Postby forrado » March 25th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Update:

Baillie Gifford’s Schiehallion targets $500m plus raise but retail investors still barred

[Quote]
"The Baillie Gifford private equity trust is pursuing its first share raise since launch two years ago, although DIY investors will remain barred by a $5m minimum subscription.

Sciehallion (MNTN ), the Baillie Gifford investment company dedicated to backing fast-growing businesses before they list, is pursuing its first major share raise since launch two years ago, although self-directed private investors will remain barred by a $5m minimum subscription.

The Guernsey-based but London-listed closed-end fund, which is dollar-denominated, is targeting a $500m (£365m) raise through a C-share issue next month. The fund continues to be aimed at institutional investors, with the shareholder register currently dominated by North American pension funds.
"
[End Quote]

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 25th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Dod101 wrote:
joey wrote:
Dod101 wrote:What is IBKR?

Dod

Interactive Brokers. It’s very trader oriented. As in, professional traders for institutions. But us plebs are able to get an account too.

Thanks joey.

Dod

Even if you never wanted one! I have an IBKR account as a result of the closure of SVS Securities by the FCA and the subsequent transfer of assets to the absolutely dreadful, useless, frustrating ITI Crapital Ltd. The IBKR platform is a horrible trading platform in terms of buying/selling but I do like the handling & visibility of accrued dividends and the amount of information available from the "reports" that one can run.

With ITI, we have been given the "Noddy" trading platform (which is still too complicated) but I've also seen the other versions of Interactive Brokers trading platform which - frankly - are not user friendly. So, I will stick with iWeb and interactive investor as I can see what is going on when buying and selling shares.

sinterklaas
2 Lemon pips

Postby sinterklaas » April 19th, 2021, 9:31 am

I bought it (the Ords, not the C issue) through X-O.co.uk i.e. Jarvis.

Similar to as discussed above – had to complete the Appropriateness Assessment (needed to email this to them… As with most things X-O it is not particularly straightforward or intuitive).

Once that hurdle was cleared it was just the same as dealing a regular share. Quote, price in sterling, go ahead, done, contract note in inbox.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 19th, 2021, 1:53 pm

sinterklaas wrote:I bought it (the Ords, not the C issue) through X-O.co.uk i.e. Jarvis.

Similar to as discussed above – had to complete the Appropriateness Assessment (needed to email this to them… As with most things X-O it is not particularly straightforward or intuitive).

Once that hurdle was cleared it was just the same as dealing a regular share. Quote, price in sterling, go ahead, done, contract note in inbox.

I was going to ask you whether you have checked if there is liquidity if you want to sell but I see someone has commented since your post that there are some days when there are no trades at all. Another reason for me to keep clear of it and I suppose that there is probably a big bid/offer spread?

I cannot see the point in a retail investor getting involved with it.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 19th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:
sinterklaas wrote:I bought it (the Ords, not the C issue) through X-O.co.uk i.e. Jarvis.

I was going to ask you whether you have checked if there is liquidity if you want to sell but I see someone has commented since your post that there are some days when there are no trades at all. Another reason for me to keep clear of it and I suppose that there is probably a big bid/offer spread?

Dod

$1.76/$1.84 spread according to Hargreaves.....and a 22% premium on N.A.V.! :shock:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 19th, 2021, 3:52 pm

monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

$1.76/$1.84 spread according to Hargreaves.....and a 22% premium on N.A.V.! :shock:

Thanks. Yes confirms that it is not one for me.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 19th, 2021, 5:16 pm

I see Scottish Mortgage is down a bit today but I am very happy to continue holding it after my various sales last year.

Dod

will89
2 Lemon pips

Postby will89 » April 20th, 2021, 11:57 am

I hold a small chunk of MNTN in my Interactive Brokers GIA, and it has done very nicely! Almost impossible to trade and the live price isn't quite 'right' because there are so few trades. To answer one of the queries above it is only traded in USD, there isn't a GBP version despite being a BG product, I guess USD denomination suited their target market...
If you want something with similar exposure that is more simple to access then Chrysalis is probably your best bet.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 20th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Monks IT gives a small amount of exposure (1.93%).

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”