Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Murray Income

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Murray Income

Postby Arborbridge » November 2nd, 2023, 1:09 pm

kempiejon wrote:
richfool wrote:And DIG is from the same" Abrdn" stable as MUT, as well as being in the same sector. DIG has a slightly higher dividend yield than MUT.

There was some disparaging talk, I think pre Lemon - Motley Fool days, that both were sub par dogs - Dugs and Mutts respectively, I have held MUT along with their global MYI Murray International never been that impressed with either. I had a brief fling with ITs so bought a couple to test the water. I never extended much cash into that experiment.

I believe I may have contributed to that discussion. I eventually decided to sell DIG and MUT in Lemon days as they were progressing much slow than, for example, CTY. Foolishly, as it turned out, because the XIRR of MUT left that of CTY standing during the wretched Brexit period. It seems MUT finally got something more right than CTY.

Ironically, I have come back into MUT via owning another IT which it merged with, so now I'm wondering whether to top it up!

Arb.

Summerdeep

Postby Summerdeep » November 4th, 2023, 7:14 pm

I bought MUT at 840p a couple of years ago, and observed the trajectory of the shares thereafter. They went above 900p once or twice, but that proved unsustainable with the yield falling below 4%. Conversely, whenever they went below 800p with a yield heading back towards 5% they tended to bounce back pretty quickly. So I've made it my policy not to buy above my initial purchase price, and always to top up when the price is below 800p.

Not entirely convinced by some of the trust's holdings, such as BP and Unilever, but glad they don't go ridiculously overweight in any share. They have 5.9% in AstraZeneca for example, compared with the 9.7% holding of their sister trust Dunedin Income Growth. I hold the latter as well, and am becoming a bit concerned about its performance..

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 4th, 2023, 7:37 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
kempiejon wrote:There was some disparaging talk, I think pre Lemon - Motley Fool days, that both were sub par dogs - Dugs and Mutts respectively, I have held MUT along with their global MYI Murray International never been that impressed with either. I had a brief fling with ITs so bought a couple to test the water. I never extended much cash into that experiment.

I believe I may have contributed to that discussion. I eventually decided to sell DIG and MUT in Lemon days as they were progressing much slow than, for example, CTY. Foolishly, as it turned out, because the XIRR of MUT left that of CTY standing during the wretched Brexit period. It seems MUT finally got something more right than CTY.

Ironically, I have come back into MUT via owning another IT which it merged with, so now I'm wondering whether to top it up!

Arb.

From that snappily titled post "Dig The Dog is Dead" Jan 2017. . ;)

viewtopic.php?p=22453&sid=60852d75a35363a02be1604b5757c178#p22453

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 4th, 2023, 7:38 pm

monabri wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

From that snappily titled post "Dig The Dog is Dead" Jan 2017. . ;)

viewtopic.php?p=22453&sid=60852d75a35363a02be1604b5757c178#p22453

Sounds like one of mine - and I never worked on The Sun, nor read it!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”