Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Candidates for adding to IT portfolio

Closed-end funds and OEICs
spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Candidates for adding to IT portfolio

Postby spiderbill » April 9th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Hi All
Just considering an addition to my current collection, which is:

Value     Div    Fcst 
Share Epic Sector %Total %Total Yield

Henderson Far East Income Ltd. HFEL IT - Asia Pacific Income 35.48% 53.46% 7.10%
Murray International Trust MYI IT - Global Equity Income 5.86% 5.85% 4.70%
F and C Investment Trust FCIT IT - Global 19.62% 6.24% 1.50%
Merchants Trust MRCH IT - UK Equity Income 11.87% 15.87% 6.30%
Blackrock North American Incom BRNA IT - North America 5.97% 6.08% 4.80%
JPMorgan Global Growth & Incom JGGI IT - Global Equity Income 16.31% 11.77% 3.40%
JPMorgan Japanese Inv Trust JFJ IT - Japan 4.89% 0.73% 0.70%

Running Yield: 4.71%

Value Div
Sector %Total %Total

IT - Asia Pacific Income 35.48% 53.46%
IT - Global Equity Income 22.18% 17.62%
IT - Global 19.62% 6.24%
IT - UK Equity Income 11.87% 15.87%
IT - North America 5.97% 6.08%
IT - Japan 4.89% 0.73%

I had various lists of possibles about a year and half ago but of course there's been a lot of change over that time so a rethink from scratch seems advisable.
Looking probably for another mixed growth/income a la JGGI which has been doing very well for me, but am undecided about geography. The obvious area not represented is Europe - anyone got any suggestions there? Or indeed anywhere else that I'm missing. Just looking for ideas to research so no need to go into great detail. Thanks for any suggestions.

Spiderbill

seagles
Lemon Slice

Re: Candidates for adding to IT portfolio

Postby seagles » April 9th, 2021, 2:33 pm

spiderbill wrote:Looking probably for another mixed growth/income a la JGGI which has been doing very well for me, but am undecided about geography. The obvious area not represented is Europe - anyone got any suggestions there? Or indeed anywhere else that I'm missing. Just looking for ideas to research so no need to go into great detail. Thanks for any suggestions.

Spiderbill

I chose JETI when I was looking at Europe. Currently 4.5% yield and discount to NAV of 10.3. Getting to the peak price of 52 weeks though.

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » April 9th, 2021, 3:06 pm

For Europe you could look at European Assets Trust (EAT), currently yielding 5.8%

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 9th, 2021, 3:29 pm

seagles wrote:I chose JETI when I was looking at Europe. Currently 4.5% yield and discount to NAV of 10.3. Getting to the peak price of 52 weeks though.

Remember looking at them a couple of years ago. Will take another look and see what the current main constituents are. Still about 10% below the pre-Covid levels so could still have some legs.

Thanks

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 9th, 2021, 3:33 pm

dundas666 wrote:For Europe you could look at European Assets Trust (EAT), currently yielding 5.8%

I recall some talk about them a while back but seem to remember that something put me off them at the time. Did they do a big consolidation of shares at one point? Will see if I can find the details and then take a proper look.

Thanks

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 9th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Perhaps the way the income for the divi is derived?

"aim to pay Shareholders a dividend of 6% based on the Net Asset Value (NAV) on 31 December each year"

So, if the NAV falls on 31 Dec - so does the dividend for the next year.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » April 9th, 2021, 5:00 pm

spiderbill wrote:Hi All
Just considering an addition to my current collection, which is:

Value     Div    Fcst 
Share Epic Sector %Total %Total Yield

Henderson Far East Income Ltd. HFEL IT - Asia Pacific Income 35.48% 53.46% 7.10%
Murray International Trust MYI IT - Global Equity Income 5.86% 5.85% 4.70%
F and C Investment Trust FCIT IT - Global 19.62% 6.24% 1.50%
Merchants Trust MRCH IT - UK Equity Income 11.87% 15.87% 6.30%
Blackrock North American Incom BRNA IT - North America 5.97% 6.08% 4.80%
JPMorgan Global Growth & Incom JGGI IT - Global Equity Income 16.31% 11.77% 3.40%
JPMorgan Japanese Inv Trust JFJ IT - Japan 4.89% 0.73% 0.70%

Running Yield: 4.71%

Value Div
Sector %Total %Total

IT - Asia Pacific Income 35.48% 53.46%
IT - Global Equity Income 22.18% 17.62%
IT - Global 19.62% 6.24%
IT - UK Equity Income 11.87% 15.87%
IT - North America 5.97% 6.08%
IT - Japan 4.89% 0.73%

I had various lists of possibles about a year and half ago but of course there's been a lot of change over that time so a rethink from scratch seems advisable.
Looking probably for another mixed growth/income a la JGGI which has been doing very well for me, but am undecided about geography. The obvious area not represented is Europe - anyone got any suggestions there? Or indeed anywhere else that I'm missing. Just looking for ideas to research so no need to go into great detail. Thanks for any suggestions.

Spiderbill

How wedded are you to yield?

As far as Europe is concerned, I have recently added BRGE and so far so good. Only 1.1% yield - but then, I look for total return. The 5 yr TR is quite good at about 146%.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 9th, 2021, 6:09 pm

77ss wrote:As far as Europe is concerned, I have recently added BRGE and so far so good. Only 1.1% yield - but then, I look for total return. The 5 yr TR is quite good at about 146%.

So have I.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » April 9th, 2021, 7:23 pm

seagles wrote:
spiderbill wrote:Looking probably for another mixed growth/income a la JGGI which has been doing very well for me, but am undecided about geography. The obvious area not represented is Europe - anyone got any suggestions there? Or indeed anywhere else that I'm missing. Just looking for ideas to research so no need to go into great detail. Thanks for any suggestions.

Spiderbill

I chose JETI when I was looking at Europe. Currently 4.5% yield and discount to NAV of 10.3. Getting to the peak price of 52 weeks though.

Have a very small position in JETI. What held me off adding was their level of exposure to financials

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 9th, 2021, 9:13 pm

monabri wrote:Perhaps the way the income for the divi is derived?

"aim to pay Shareholders a dividend of 6% based on the Net Asset Value (NAV) on 31 December each year"

So, if the NAV falls on 31 Dec - so does the dividend for the next year.

That does seem to ring a bell - thanks for the reminder. Not necessarily a killer but something to remember.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 9th, 2021, 9:16 pm

77ss wrote:How wedded are you to yield?

As far as Europe is concerned, I have recently added BRGE and so far so good. Only 1.1% yield - but then, I look for total return. The 5 yr TR is quite good at about 146%.

Not totally wedded - I have plenty of HY elsewhere. BRGE is a new one to me so I'll add it to the research pile, thanks.

OllyDrod
2 Lemon pips

Postby OllyDrod » April 9th, 2021, 11:23 pm

Spiderbill

A couple of observations and some more 'possibles' for consideration:

You've no pure-play smaller companies exposure (which may of course be deliberate) but I'd expect these to continue to do well as the global economy recovers. If you want a European slant, what about Montanaro European Smaller Companies (MTE) or, if you want more of a yield, European Assets (EAT) as dundass666 suggests? Plenty of good options in the UK too - my holdings in Henderson Smaller (HSL), Rights and Issues (RII) and Herald (HRI) have all done well YTD, but relatively low yields (in fact zero for HRI).

You've also got no property. I suspect a lot of the traditional REITs are value-traps at present, but TR Property (TRY) has an excellent track record, with lots of European exposure and is primarily in securities rather than physical assets which nominally allows it to be much fleeter of foot than some of its competitors. Another alternative might be Tritax Eurobox (BOXE/EBOX) which stands to benefit from long-term e-commerce trends (though beware the punchy fees).

You've no real bond exposure either. Henderson Diversified Income (HDIV) is on a nice discount at the moment and pays around 5%. I also like TwentyFour Select Monthly Income (SMIF) which may have extra appeal if you're relying on dividend income.

The other area to look at IMO is Infrastructure. Lots of these on punchy premia, but Ecofin Global Utilities & Infrastructure (EGL) is more or less at par and has done very well for me over the last couple of years. Like TRY it invests primarily in securities, not physical assets. I suspect it flies somewhat under the radar being in the tiny 'Infrastructure Securities' AIC sector, rather than in 'Infrastructure' with 3i, HICL, GCP etc. Worth a look.

- OllyDrod

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » April 10th, 2021, 9:07 am

spiderbill wrote:

Not totally wedded - I have plenty of HY elsewhere. BRGE is a new one to me so I'll add it to the research pile, thanks.

Looking at my IT collection, I realise that SLPE is also predominantly Europe focussed (approx. 15% US, 15% UK, 70% rest of Europe).

As another poster has observed, some smaller company ITs are doing pretty well (I hold HSL and THRG, but they are both UK). SLPE is private equity and invested in small-medium companies ($50m to $6bn). Yield of 3%, and over the past 4 years it has done fairly well for me.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 10th, 2021, 10:12 am

spiderbill wrote:

Spiderbill, 77ss beat me to it on BRGE. I added BRGE last year. It has a low yield, but has performed well in terms of capital appreciation, vying for top place with BGEU. That would be my suggestion in the European space.
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... .-ord-0.1p

https://citywire.co.uk/wealth_manager/i ... ePeriod=12

I do also hold EAT for it's high yield.

You could also have a look at JP Morgan's Multi-Asset growth & Income trust (MATE), currently yielding c 4.1%, or even BERI (Blackrock Energy & Resources Income trust) for its exposure to basic resources, miners, energy and even renewables.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... ome-ord-1p

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.01

I would also second OllyDrod's choice of EGL.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 11th, 2021, 1:32 pm

OllyDrod wrote:A couple of observations and some more 'possibles' for consideration:

You've no pure-play smaller companies exposure (which may of course be deliberate) but I'd expect these to continue to do well as the global economy recovers. If you want a European slant, what about Montanaro European Smaller Companies (MTE) or, if you want more of a yield, European Assets (EAT) as dundass666 suggests? Plenty of good options in the UK too - my holdings in Henderson Smaller (HSL), Rights and Issues (RII) and Herald (HRI) have all done well YTD, but relatively low yields (in fact zero for HRI).

You're right, I don't. I used to have a few smaller companies in individual shares but that was back when I was buying in too-small amounts and most of those have been either sold or hit by Covid. EAT seems to be a popular recommendation so I may well start there and then look at others.

OllyDrod wrote:You've also got no property. I suspect a lot of the traditional REITs are value-traps at present, but TR Property (TRY) has an excellent track record, with lots of European exposure and is primarily in securities rather than physical assets which nominally allows it to be much fleeter of foot than some of its competitors. Another alternative might be Tritax Eurobox (BOXE/EBOX) which stands to benefit from long-term e-commerce trends (though beware the punchy fees).

I do have Regional REIT in my HYP-ish share portfolio - never quite sure whether it should sit in individual shares or ITs. It has been hit by Covid worries (rather unfairly in its case I feel) so my average buying price of 96p is a bit underwater at the moment, but it's showing signs of recovery and the dividends are excellent. I'll certainly look at your suggestions though.

OllyDrod wrote:You've no real bond exposure either. Henderson Diversified Income (HDIV) is on a nice discount at the moment and pays around 5%. I also like TwentyFour Select Monthly Income (SMIF) which may have extra appeal if you're relying on dividend income.

I confess I know almost nothing about bonds and it's been a bit of a blind spot. At my age (66 later this month) I should probably look into them.

OllyDrod wrote:The other area to look at IMO is Infrastructure. Lots of these on punchy premia, but Ecofin Global Utilities & Infrastructure (EGL) is more or less at par and has done very well for me over the last couple of years. Like TRY it invests primarily in securities, not physical assets. I suspect it flies somewhat under the radar being in the tiny 'Infrastructure Securities' AIC sector, rather than in 'Infrastructure' with 3i, HICL, GCP etc. Worth a look.

Certainly worth a look.

Many thanks for a well considered and informative response, much appreciated.

Spiderbill

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 11th, 2021, 1:37 pm

77ss wrote:Looking at my IT collection, I realise that SLPE is also predominantly Europe focussed (approx. 15% US, 15% UK, 70% rest of Europe).

As another poster has observed, some smaller company ITs are doing pretty well (I hold HSL and THRG, but they are both UK). SLPE is private equity and invested in small-medium companies ($50m to $6bn). Yield of 3%, and over the past 4 years it has done fairly well for me.

Thanks for coming back on this - SLPE is another I haven't really looked at up to now so I'll give it the treatment too.

cheers
Spiderbill

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 11th, 2021, 1:39 pm

EGL - I find the charges hefty - a big chunk over say a five year period.

T7

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » April 11th, 2021, 1:48 pm

richfool wrote:Spiderbill, 77ss beat me to it on BRGE. I added BRGE last year. It has a low yield, but has performed well in terms of capital appreciation, vying for top place with BGEU. That would be my suggestion in the European space.
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... .-ord-0.1p

https://citywire.co.uk/wealth_manager/i ... ePeriod=12

I do also hold EAT for it's high yield.

Ok, these two seem to be well regarded so are sitting high on my list. Thanks for the links too.

richfool wrote:You could also have a look at JP Morgan's Multi-Asset growth & Income trust (MATE), currently yielding c 4.1%, or even BERI (Blackrock Energy & Resources Income trust) for its exposure to basic resources, miners, energy and even renewables.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... ome-ord-1p

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.01

I would also second OllyDrod's choice of EGL.

I seem to have been gravitating towards JP Morgan recently (badly timed in the case of JFJ) but that one has escaped me - will certainly take a look. I had looked at BERI a while back but IIRC it seemed to be struggling at the time. Looking at the graph over the last year I should have bought some last summer.

Many thanks for the suggestions

Spiderbill

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 11th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Not entirely clear what spiderbill is looking for but Smithson, Caledonia and RIT Capital Partners all provide something a bit different. For a large generalist, Alliance has done well since it outsourced its investment management.

Unless you want or need income, I would not buy EAT since it depends on returning some capital each year to provide its so called income.

Anyway, if we are setting out to cover the world markets we would be cheaper to hold a world tracker.

Dod

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 11th, 2021, 7:36 pm

I swapped EAT for MTE and it's worked well for me (very well).

Past performance is no guarantee.........

I have a soft spot for Mid Wynd which offers something different I think.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”