Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Insurance Funds

Closed-end funds and OEICs
swynn
2 Lemon pips

Insurance Funds

Postby swynn » February 8th, 2017, 10:23 am

My aunt said she was invested in unit trusts. But on looking at her investments a large proportion were insurance funds. She seemed to have started with all unit trusts, then her advisor slipped in insurance funds masquerading as unit trusts. One insurance fund even had the same name as a unit trust. Seemed like a scam, as insurance funds are inferior investments.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Insurance Funds

Postby Alaric » February 8th, 2017, 10:43 am

swynn wrote: Seemed like a scam, as insurance funds are inferior investments.

Mirror funds are common as are policies that link returns directly to the OEIC or Unit Trust performance. In both cases the underlying investments are the same as the direct route, but tax and charges may be different.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 8th, 2017, 12:10 pm

swynn wrote:One insurance fund even had the same name as a unit trust.

It almost certainly is the same-named unit trust, just within an insurance wrapper. While I generally agree with your sentiments you need to look at the structure. Some (not all) such insurance investments are actually a tax wrapper that allows activity within the wrapper (buys & sells, dividends, etc) tax free. Those also allow withdrawal of up to 5%pa of the initial investment tax free, with once all of the initial investment is withdrawn the rest being liable to income tax. As such they're intended as an investment-for-retirement tax deferral mechanism, sort of like a SIPP (but without the tax break going in).

Having said that, they are definitely not for everyone's situation, and usually suffer quite high charges....

swynn
2 Lemon pips

Postby swynn » February 8th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Wanting to be wised-up about insurance funds, I did a word search on "insurance fund" and "insurance funds" in the Asset Management Market Study:

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/mark ... report.pdf

and came up with 0 (zero). Oh dear! This "study" is 206 pages long!

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » February 8th, 2017, 7:16 pm

swynn wrote:Wanting to be wised-up about insurance funds, I did a word search on "insurance fund" and "insurance funds" in the Asset Management Market Study:

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/mark ... report.pdf

and came up with 0 (zero). Oh dear! This "study" is 206 pages long!

They are covered under "Packaged Retail and Insurance-based Investment Products" . Frequently encountered as "insurance bonds" . I have never seen the term "insurance funds"

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”