Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

IT Share Splits and the AIC website

Closed-end funds and OEICs
HillManMill
Lemon Pip

IT Share Splits and the AIC website

Postby HillManMill » January 19th, 2022, 10:53 am

I have set up model portfolios on the AIC website to estimate incomes. Some of the shares in my portfolios have had 'share splits' recently.

I logged into the AIC website earlier today and noticed that the pre-split rather than current numbers of shares are still being shown in the portfolio.

Does anyone know if the splits are being managed in saved portfolios? Or should I simply re enter the post split numbers?

Thanks

Cornytiv34
Lemon Pip

Re: IT Share Splits and the AIC website

Postby Cornytiv34 » January 19th, 2022, 11:37 am

Same problem on ADVFN AVI Global Trust "AGT" 5 for 1 free issue 17.1.22. which still this morning has not automatically adjusted. There is no option for such adjustment in buttons so assumed would be automatically applied but not so far. It screws up the overall results tremendously. Can they blame it on Covid? :lol:
Mike

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 19th, 2022, 2:34 pm

The Income Builder tool is unable to make any changes to anyone's portfolio. It can only be changed by a user. Therefore the user does need to edit the portfolio after a stock split. We will put a note on it to inform users. Unfortunately due to structure of the tool an automatic fix is not straightforward.

Cornytiv34
Lemon Pip

Postby Cornytiv34 » January 20th, 2022, 6:10 pm

Hi,
I have been as frustrated as you about free share splits, who is going to make adjustment, and if me how to do it. Maybe this will help.

In desparation I decided to do the following, hoping desperately I would not mess things up. In my case it was AGT AVI Global Trust making a 5 for 1 free issue on my portfolio on ADVFN.
1. Original Book Cost £1998.92 for 200 shares.
2. Book Cost must now be £1998.92 for 1000 shares
3. Increase in number of shares 800
4. Cost of those shares £0.00
5. I entered a Buy for 800 shares at Zero cost and Zero Charges hopeing it would be accepted. ;)

It was! Relief! All looks ok. Charts all revised historically to new share price.

I can understand that part shares in such cases can create problems if they are ignored or included by the brokers concerned but these facts are known to us and can be accommodated in the calculation. Hope this helped you.

Maybe a help page about this on the site would be useful.
Mike

HillManMill
Lemon Pip

Postby HillManMill » January 21st, 2022, 10:06 am

Thank you DavidM13 and Cornytiv34 for your advice.

DavidM13 great to get the definitive view from you. I should only take a minute or two for me to make the required edits.

Cornytuv34. Thanks for giving the detail on how to update cost of the holding. Useful to know. I am using the HYPTUSS + my own spreadsheets to track changes in capital values and the AIC portfolio feature to give an annual estimated income profile and run 'what ifs' to see the impact of changes in investments on the income profile.

Cheers

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”