Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Ark Innovation Trust ETF

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Peter1B1
Lemon Pip

Ark Innovation Trust ETF

Postby Peter1B1 » February 9th, 2022, 6:38 pm

I sat in on ARKK's Big Ideas seminar last week. I have been keen - but prevented, see below - from taking a slice of ARKK for a long time. The seminar confirmed once again that ARKK take the destructive innovation idea very seriously.

We had eight hours of extremely bright young topic experts on their core innovation themes: blockchain, energy storage, genomics, robotics and artificial intelligence. My lack of virtually any knowledge of these topics is not, of course, the best basis for an investment; but they certainly do know what they are talking about. Better, the ETF (and its individual-themed 'sub-ETFs') are under the experienced investment eye of Cathy Wood and her senior team. All in all, ARKK seems to me well worth following.

That might seem to be a high-risk venture as ARKK's 50% price tumble over the last year would seem to confirm. But as a stake in a long-term growth pf, there is a lot for me to like. A good time to buy, if only I could.

The problem is that ARKK has not done the MIFID grunt work to produce KIIDs for the UK (and I guess European) retail investor markets. I have been on at them for two years to do this but they just say that they are working on it. If Schiehallion can do it - and with a risk score of 3 when I bought to boot! - then why not ARKK?

Does anyone have a better fix on ARKK's intentions with regard to sale on mainstream UK platforms, HL for me? I'd rather not add complexity by buying via US brokers or other devices.

Thanks, Peter1B1

Mememe

Re: Ark Innovation Trust ETF

Postby Mememe » February 10th, 2022, 8:26 pm

Can’t comment on ark but this seems to be along similar lines

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discoun ... cumulation

Peter1B1
Lemon Pip

Postby Peter1B1 » February 11th, 2022, 11:13 am

Mememe, thanks for this interesting item - I was unaware of the L&G Global Thematic ETF but it I agree it runs on similar ideas to ARKK. I have reposted onto the Growth Strategies board where there is plenty of ARKK interest.

The L&G ETF is a newbie but if the strategy 'works' then now could be a good time to dip in.

Peter1B1

LittleDorrit
Lemon Pip

Postby LittleDorrit » February 15th, 2022, 10:19 am

Of zero interest to me (so not investigated), but David Stephenson recently published the following sugestions for UK investors hoping to track ARC's activities.
"When the market is buoyant Wood is queen of the hill, but when markets turn dismal, her ETFs plunge. At the moment, she’s having a very tough time. Now Leverage Shares has launched a range of ETPs that allow you to track three of her most successful US funds directly: the Innovation ETF, the Next Generation Internet ETF and the Genomics Revolution ETF. "

Peter1B1
Lemon Pip

Postby Peter1B1 » February 15th, 2022, 4:39 pm

LittleDorrit, thanks and helpful. I'll look into it. I think the volatility of ARK goes with the territory: this kind of intensive thematic stuff would be perhaps no more than 5% of very long term SIPP pfs, still in the building phase. If courting high CAGR then I feel they have their part to play.

A shift towards yield appears quite manageable as retirement approaches but this is 25+ years away. My greater concern is busting the Lifetime Allowance which, with not-too challenging growth expectations (10%pa including any yield) and only modest funds, might be likely given the power of time in compounding.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”