Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Fisher Investments

Closed-end funds and OEICs
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Re: Fisher Investments

Postby GrandOiseau » June 20th, 2018, 11:16 am

I clicked on a link to get a free report from FI a couple of years back. They've been harrassing me ever since - even though I've asked on more than one occasion to stop calling me. In the end a blocked them use Truecaller. I've got a new phone since then and stopped using Truecaller. A couple of days ago I got a call. First of all asked for someone else. When I told them they had the wrong number, the guy then seemed to recognise who I was. Suspect he is cold calling people on their contact list and read the wrong name. They are always very well spoken and very pushy. Can't comment on the performance only that they are too pushy for my liking.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 20th, 2018, 5:05 pm

These global investment trusts are mostly very well run by professional managers able to take a long view with a very wide spread of investments.

A combination of some of these (Witan, SMT, Alliance etc) plus a large dollop of all world trackers (VWRL) is IMHO much much less risky than putting your money with a manager like Fisher, and very very much cheaper.

That's what I have done since being able to get out of Equitable in late 2008 and it has more than tripled.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 20th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Can't comment on the performance only that they are too pushy for my liking.

I have had a number of calls from Fisher at reasonable intervals, and they have always been polite and not pushy. I usually tell them that I am still enjoying making my own investment decisions, but I may consider them when it becomes a burden. I have always found their notes to be informative and they don't seem to over-egg their performance.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » June 20th, 2018, 11:02 pm

scotia wrote:
Can't comment on the performance only that they are too pushy for my liking.

I have had a number of calls from Fisher at reasonable intervals, and they have always been polite and not pushy. I usually tell them that I am still enjoying making my own investment decisions, but I may consider them when it becomes a burden. I have always found their notes to be informative and they don't seem to over-egg their performance.

I agreed to meet them but then changed my mind. They didn't accept it but kept asking. I told them to stop calling but they still did. They have never sent me any "notes".

SteveSi

Postby SteveSi » August 24th, 2018, 7:02 pm

I have been with FI for slightly over 3 years now as a client (I have no other connection with FI).
They charged approx 6K for consultations and initial investment, etc. (min investment is 250K).
When they contact you they offer to give you some of their customers contact details so you can phone them and ask about their personal experiences with them.
In the first year the fund value hadn't gained much (just about +6K) and I was wondering if I had made a mistake, but then it started to climb.
Only small fund management and custody fees are made each year totalling approx £100. No other charges are made.
They keep in regular contact by phone from USA (personal call from same person and they are willing to spend time discussing markets, strategy, etc.) - no sales pressure of any kind. If the market is shaky and the Purisima share price drops, they proactively phone me to explain\ask me how I feel about it, etc.
I am invited to various seminars with lunch (though I haven't attended one yet as nearest is London), and I get quarterly statements and market discussions via web video recordings.
They even sent me a few free Ken Fisher books!
My gains to date after 3 years have been approx 45% on initial investment.
I think these facts (and the Purisima Fund share price performance) speak for themselves...
If you want more precise details, then PM me.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 24th, 2018, 8:09 pm

45% in three years in a bull market? And measured in a falling currency (in Dollar terms, your 45% becomes just 18%).

The S&P 500 index is up 46% in the past three years. Or, measured in UK£, that becomes 79%. Some major indexes are up by more than that: the Dow Jones figures are 56% (92% in UK£).

Of course, if that 45% happened without the risk exposure that would take advantage of the bull market - and lose you money in different market conditions - then hats off to them.

LooseCannon101
Lemon Slice

Postby LooseCannon101 » August 24th, 2018, 8:14 pm

If you are looking for a highly diversified world equity fund why not use a global investment trust e.g. Foreign and Colonial (FRCL).

I am a big fan of FRCL as it is effectively a portfolio of investment trusts in a single trust, with a low-cost saving scheme - £72 per year for an ISA, good performance which has beaten the MSCI World Index (its benchmark) over the past 20 years, and is run by an experienced fund manager (Paul Niven) who has about £1m invested. The trust has low borrowings - <10%, a rising dividend policy, and currently trades at net asset value.

Other global trusts e.g. Witan and Alliance would probably be OK aswell.

SteveSi

Postby SteveSi » August 27th, 2018, 10:18 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:45% in three years in a bull market? And measured in a falling currency (in Dollar terms, your 45% becomes just 18%).

The S&P 500 index is up 46% in the past three years. Or, measured in UK£, that becomes 79%. Some major indexes are up by more than that: the Dow Jones figures are 56% (92% in UK£).

Of course, if that 45% happened without the risk exposure that would take advantage of the bull market - and lose you money in different market conditions - then hats off to them.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I withdrew 20% of my initial deposit amount in May 2017, so that 45% figure would have been much higher if I had left it in.
Thanks for the FRCL tip, I'll look into it.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”