Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Ecofin Global Utilities AND Infrastructure Trust PLC

Closed-end funds and OEICs
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Ecofin Global Utilities AND Infrastructure Trust PLC

Postby richfool » January 11th, 2018, 9:48 am

Fred, up today +2.32% at time of writing this. That said, I don't know know why the move in either direction.

ermintrade

Postby ermintrade » January 13th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Fred, I also have this in my portfolio. It mainly serves as a diversifier. I am not too worried about the recent poor performance. Other funds in this category also seem to be struggling. My reasons for staying optimistic are: it is still at a discount; in an inflationary environment it should pick up accordingly; I can keep collecting the 5% dividend while I wait.
All the best
ermintrade

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 31st, 2018, 2:31 pm

Despite recent lacklustre capital growth and a slight fallback in the SP (since I bought in late last year), I am still attracted to this trust, which invests in infrastructure and utilities and has more exposure to both the US and to Europe than to the UK. It offers a dividend yield currently of 5.08% paid quarterly and goes ex-dividend tomorrow, (with the prospect of many of its investments offering index-linked dividends). And it's trading at a discount of 8%. I have succumbed to the temptation to top up, if only for the income.

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-searc ... ructure-1p

http://citywire.co.uk/money/investment- ... undID=3949

ermintrade

Postby ermintrade » February 6th, 2018, 1:00 pm

I agree, Fred. I have also topped up EGL; also topped up Polar Capital Global Financials and Vietnam Enterprise Investments.
Regards
ermintrade

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 27th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I had been thinking of topping up EGL., but decided against it, due to the uncertainty over utilities, the prospect of increasing interest rates and EGL's above average charges (and risk rating) shown on the KID, - risk cat 5, 0.6% transaction costs plus 1.92% other ongoing costs. (I did however "Bed & ISA" a holding of EGL from my share dealing account to my ISA.).

ermintrade

Postby ermintrade » April 28th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Maybe of interest, David Stevenson writing in MoneyWeek (27 April) has just added EGL to both his cautious and adventurous income portfolios. His reasons are (and I summarise here) EGL has refocussed on renewable power, yieldcos and infrastructure; PE valuations in the sector are very low by historical standards; Goldman Sachs estimates that net income for the sector will grow at 8% per annum, and 25% cumulatively till 2020. The yield is currently about 5.7% and, if the SP drops any further, this could be 6%. The discount remains about 15%. I remain a holder.
Regards
ermintrade

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 30th, 2018, 9:15 am

I spotted a recent Mail Online article flagging up 21 IT's paying dividend yields of over 4%, which listed EGL in 3rd place, after EAT (European Assets) in first place, and HFEL (Henderson Far Eastern Income) in 2nd place. Maybe that has drawn investor's attention to EGL., and/or the fact it goes ex-dividend on 3rd May. I note it is up again this morning.

The highest yielding trust is European Assets at 6.3 per cent, the study found.

Henderson Far East Income came in second place, with a 5.9 per cent yield, ahead of Ecofin Global Utilities & Infrastructure in third with a yield of 5.4 per cent
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/invest ... ealed.html

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 30th, 2018, 10:45 am

FredBloggs wrote:EGL watchers - Whilst bottom fishing this evening (morning) I have topped up EGL. At 110p it is yielding around 5.5% and is sitting on close to a 10% discount. I like that. Worth tucking away, I think.

====================
think i will do the same.

:)

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 30th, 2018, 4:50 pm

richfool wrote:I spotted a recent Mail Online article flagging up 21 IT's paying dividend yields of over 4%, which listed EGL in 3rd place, after EAT (European Assets) in first place, and HFEL (Henderson Far Eastern Income) in 2nd place. Maybe that has drawn investor's attention to EGL., and/or the fact it goes ex-dividend on 3rd May. I note it is up again this morning.

Henderson Far East Income came in second place, with a 5.9 per cent yield, ahead of Ecofin Global Utilities & Infrastructure in third with a yield of 5.4 per cent

One of the ITs shown in the Daily Mail article is Henderson High Income (HHI) at the #4 spot. Whilst this is an IT I hold, I don't think I've ever seen it commented on in this Forum.

Anyone any experience/views they'd like to share?

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » April 30th, 2018, 6:08 pm

BrummieDave wrote:
richfool wrote:I spotted a recent Mail Online article flagging up 21 IT's paying dividend yields of over 4%, which listed EGL in 3rd place, after EAT (European Assets) in first place, and HFEL (Henderson Far Eastern Income) in 2nd place. Maybe that has drawn investor's attention to EGL., and/or the fact it goes ex-dividend on 3rd May. I note it is up again this morning.

One of the ITs shown in the Daily Mail article is Henderson High Income (HHI) at the #4 spot. Whilst this is an IT I hold, I don't think I've ever seen it commented on in this Forum.

Anyone any experience/views they'd like to share?

I have looked at this for the income portion of the wife's SIPP. Undecided at the moment but only because I may not need that level of yield to meet the goal of the portfolio.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”