Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fundsmith - Terry Smith commentary.

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Backache
2 Lemon pips

Re: Fundsmith - Terry Smith commentary.

Postby Backache » March 31st, 2019, 8:43 pm

toofast2live wrote:Sorry, why would anyone with £1k buy the I class?

And what can I buy on HL.

Same reason why anyone else would buy the 'I' class, to save 0•1% costs and you can buy them in small quantities through some platforms I believe.
I have no idea about HL, I buy direct from Fundsmith and have no platform charges.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 1st, 2019, 1:17 pm

I believe that HL offer the I class in either Income or accumulation units, for one-off investments of £100 or greater. This attracts a Fundsmith charge of 0.95% plus Hl's annual platform charge of 0.45% (for fund holdings less than £250,000)
It appears that direct purchasers from Fundsmith are offered the T class (income or accumulation) which attracts a charge of 1.05%, for investments of £1000 or greater. Another contributor has stated that there is no additional platform charge in such a case. There is a live chat available on the Fundsmith site (http://www.fundsmith.co.uk), so it should be simple to check this out.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » April 1st, 2019, 1:25 pm

Backache wrote:Same reason why anyone else would buy the 'I' class, to save 0•1% costs and you can buy them in small quantities through some platforms I believe.
I have no idea about HL, I buy direct from Fundsmith and have no platform charges.

Unless you invested over £5m then your platform fee is effectively the 0.1% a year you seem to already be aware of.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 1st, 2019, 11:06 pm

scotia wrote:

I believe that HL offer the I class in either Income or accumulation units, for one-off investments of £100 or greater. This attracts a Fundsmith charge of 0.95% plus Hl's annual platform charge of 0.45% (for fund holdings less than £250,000)
It appears that direct purchasers from Fundsmith are offered the T class (income or accumulation) which attracts a charge of 1.05%, for investments of £1000 or greater. Another contributor has stated that there is no additional platform charge in such a case. There is a live chat available on the Fundsmith site (http://www.fundsmith.co.uk), so it should be simple to check this out.

Jeez! I can remember when some people used to claim Investment Trusts were "complicated". Do they still say that?

harryhoudini

Postby harryhoudini » April 16th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Bhoddhisatva wrote:Guys - anyone know or understand what the difference is between Fundsmith T, R and I funds????

Unless I'm going blind I can't see this explained anywhere on their web site!

Hi there,

The "R" is for retail investors- Joe Public
The "I" is for institutional investors- pension funds, insurance cos. and the like.
The "T" has me stumped, I would hazard a guess that is for platforms like Hargreaves Lansdown.

hh

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 16th, 2019, 5:34 pm

harryhoudini wrote:The "T" has me stumped, I would hazard a guess that is for platforms like Hargreaves Lansdown.
hh

The "T" is the Terry class :-) They're the ones he holds and the class of units you buy/sell if you invest directly with Fundsmith.

All the best, Si

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 16th, 2019, 8:26 pm

harryhoudini wrote:
Bhoddhisatva wrote:Guys - anyone know or understand what the difference is between Fundsmith T, R and I funds????

Unless I'm going blind I can't see this explained anywhere on their web site!

The "R" is for retail investors- Joe Public
The "I" is for institutional investors- pension funds, insurance cos. and the like.
The "T" has me stumped, I would hazard a guess that is for platforms like Hargreaves Lansdown.

I own the I class, via ATS, and I'm not an institutional investor, pension fund, insurance co. or the like.

(The I Acc class has a great fund symbol: FUQUIT :))

Of the brokers I use, ATS offers only the I class (as does HL it seems), Interactive Investor offers the I & T classes, and IWeb offers all three.

As already noted, the T class (OCF 1.05%) is what you get if you buy from Fundsmith directly. Given that brokers seem to offer the I class (OCF 0.95%) the question should be, what's the point of the R class (OCF 1.55%)?

StOmer

Postby StOmer » April 17th, 2019, 8:09 am

I thought that the 'I' class was institutional which allows 'institutions' such as fund platforms to purchase them as the buys/sells are in their name and not the account holders name. This was how Vanguard operated initially when requiring purchases of 100k or more for their LifeStrategy funds. The 'R' class doesn't usually afaik have the high bar to entry.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » April 17th, 2019, 8:21 am

mc2fool wrote:As already noted, the T class (OCF 1.05%) is what you get if you buy from Fundsmith directly. Given that brokers seem to offer the I class (OCF 0.95%) the question should be, what's the point of the R class (OCF 1.55%)?

Aren't the R class a legacy of reseller trail commission prior to RDR ?

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Postby forrado » April 19th, 2019, 12:17 pm

I see Terry Smith recently gave a lengthy video presentation hosted on the Medirect network (28 March to be precise) explaining in some detail the workings of Fundsmith. So, for those who want to see and hear what he had to say, and have 90 minutes to spare, then go to …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZM9dhiDbzI&t=657s

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » April 19th, 2019, 4:25 pm

xeny wrote:Aren't the R class a legacy of reseller trail commission prior to RDR ?

Very possibly. If you go to the Fundsmith site at https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/, it offers you the choice of investing into the T class Acc and T class Inc. Minimum amounts are £ 1000 as a lump sum or £ 100 per month.

Backache
2 Lemon pips

Postby Backache » April 19th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Alaric wrote:
xeny wrote:Aren't the R class a legacy of reseller trail commission prior to RDR ?

Very possibly. If you go to the Fundsmith site at https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/, it offers you the choice of investing into the T class Acc and T class Inc. Minimum amounts are £ 1000 as a lump sum or £ 100 per month.

If you go to the Fundsmith literature they explain that the R class is the retail class with tail commission.
Incidentally the video above explains the T in the T class stands for Terry.

smicker

Postby smicker » September 11th, 2019, 6:29 pm

I've recently had an Accumulation distribution of 317.58 in my sipp which then became Equalisation ACC Units entry of 198.40. When i look at my portfolio i seem to have the same number of units as i had previously. I'd appreciate if someone could explain what has gone on here

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 11th, 2019, 8:31 pm

smicker wrote:I've recently had an Accumulation distribution of 317.58 in my sipp which then became Equalisation ACC Units entry of 198.40. When i look at my portfolio i seem to have the same number of units as i had previously. I'd appreciate if someone could explain what has gone on here

If you purchase an accumulation fund part way through the period in which income is accumulating internally, then you will still be credited with the distribution for the full period, however for taxation purposes the sum will need to be split into real income, and the remainder which is effectively considered as a reduction in the price you paid for the units. Your number of units are in no way affected. Within a tax shelter like a SIPP or an ISA all of these details are irrelevant and can be ignored.
However if you were outside a tax shelter, the equalisation would need to be subtracted from your initial purchase cost when you are computing any Capital Gain. And the distribution minus the equalisation is the actual income which would need to be included in the sum of your investment incomes.
At least - that's what I believe.

smicker

Postby smicker » September 11th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Scotia, Thank you for taking the time to reply.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » September 23rd, 2019, 9:15 am

Using this as a place to put fuquit related observations, I spent Sunday evening reading the short form report to the end of June (https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/docs/defaul ... f?sfvrsn=2).

There's an odd (to me at least) footnote in there:

" During the period there was an in specie transfer of a broadly similar portfolio, however a small number of positions were not held in the Fundsmith Equity Fund and were subsequently sold."

which refers to sales of a total of £4.6 million of P & G, BAT and Davide Campari–Milano . Was anyone else aware that FS would allow in specie transfers like that? Presumably it's a service offered to very significant clients.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 23rd, 2019, 12:08 pm

xeny wrote: Was anyone else aware that FS would allow in specie transfers like that? Presumably it's a service offered to very significant clients.

It's probably not widely known, but maybe all fund management groups allow this. Once upon a time, it could be a cheap way for individual shareholders to dispose of small holdings by transferring them as Share Exchange to a Unit Trust.

It was after all the Kent Council pension fund who pulled the plus on the Woodford fund by asking for their money back.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 23rd, 2019, 12:37 pm

Alaric wrote:
xeny wrote: Was anyone else aware that FS would allow in specie transfers like that? Presumably it's a service offered to very significant clients.

It's probably not widely known, but maybe all fund management groups allow this. Once upon a time, it could be a cheap way for individual shareholders to dispose of small holdings by transferring them as Share Exchange to a Unit Trust.

It was after all the Kent Council pension fund who pulled the plus on the Woodford fund by asking for their money back.

Now if Woodford had been able to persuade Kent C C to accept its money in specie, Woodford's problems might not have existed, although I thought others had done the same before Kent C C made their request.

Dod

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”