Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MyNameIsUrl,GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8, for Donating to support the site

ETF suggestions

Index tracking funds and ETFs
StOmer
2 Lemon pips

ETF suggestions

Postby StOmer » August 12th, 2019, 11:08 am

Hi,
Due to platform charges for OEICS my portfolio holds Investment Trusts (IT's) with the annual charge at £0 and dealing fees of £11.95 plus stamp duty. Currently, the discounts on IT's are very low and to me, this adds to current market risks. I am thinking perhaps ETF's may be a better choice for new purchases as charges for those are free of stamp duty whilst the holding fee also remains £0.

I would probably opt for Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 or 80 but the costs with either my current platform or Vanguard direct would be higher than I currently have from my IT's held with HL.

I would be grateful for any suggestions for ETF portfolio suggestions, I am looking for growth. I have not found much in the way of sample ETF portfolios to guide me so far.
Thanks

Kantwebefriends
2 Lemon pips

Re: ETF suggestions

Postby Kantwebefriends » August 12th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Have you tried the archives on the monevator blog?

StOmer
2 Lemon pips

Postby StOmer » August 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Kantwebefriends wrote:Have you tried the archives on the monevator blog?

Thanks for that, yes I have looked at that site often but have never been particularly convinced by it. Some posts are good reads with excellent comments but often it appears a bit wooly, for example, one page on passives, offers me some 100 different funds to choose from.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » August 13th, 2019, 10:41 am

The life strategy from Vanguard is good but without changing platforms then how about a similar underlying portfolio, Vanguard VUKE for the FTSE, Vanguard VEVE for developed world and VFEM for emerging markets.
The ratio would be something like 2 parts VUKE, 7 parts VEVE and 1 part VFEM

You could use VWRL instead of the mix of VEVE and VFEM but it is more expensive.

My personal preference is ISF ( cheaper than VUKE) VMID for the FT250 more uk centric with VEVE and leave out VFEM ( personal bias)

There would potentially be a bond component, they go for hedged bond funds and gilts. NS&I income bonds give security and a higher yield than gilts....

My personal portfolio is a reasonable size and I throw in a few extras, WLDS ( small global companies) VVAL (global value) VHYL and WQDS (global yield, a value punt, with the latter having a nod towards ‘quality income’) This constitutes the factor nod.

Finally my personal world portfolio VUSA ,(S&P500) VERX (Europe ex UK) and VAPX (Asia Pacific ex japan) another chunk of VMID and ISF( uk indices) I am not convinced that either Japan or Emerging Markets align my interests with public equities for a variety of reasons and 30 years of investing suggests I can ignore them, I don’t have to fish in every pool.

I have used Investment Trusts extensively but went largely down the ETF route a few years ago, although I did take a substantial punt into ITs last autumn, mistakenly thinking that Brexit would likely resolve itself in late March, well that did not happen and I am back with ITs, note to self, market timing is tough...

StOmer
2 Lemon pips

Postby StOmer » August 13th, 2019, 1:55 pm

@Hariseldon58 Thank you for that, I will spend some time going through those suggestions. Much appreciated.

MastG

Postby MastG » August 13th, 2019, 11:01 pm

I chose
hmwo for developed world 0.15% ter
emim for emerging market 0.18% ter
gils uk gilts 0.07 % ter

I also use isf ftse 100 0.07% ter and vhyl high dividend yield 0.29% ter

hmwo and emim are msci based so dovetail together.

Villa

Postby Villa » August 14th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Any thoughts on adding a small chunk of VEMT or VDET (emerging markets government bonds) as an additional bit of diversification?

Return to “Passive Investing”