Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

OLTB's Passive Portfolio - Top ups

Index tracking funds and ETFs
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

OLTB's Passive Portfolio - Top ups

Postby OLTB » December 12th, 2018, 9:58 am

Morning all

With some accumulated dividends, I topped up both Vanguard Global Value (VVAL) and SSGA World Small Cap (WOSC) as they had fallen a little behind. Portfolio now looks like this:

I was hesitant to top up the UK Corporate Bond sector (SLXX) as I don't need to access the funds for at least 13 years and I believe (hope) that investing in the equity sectors will pay back in the longer run. With that argument though, I suppose you could say why bother holding any fixed interest...

Cheers, OLTB.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Re: OLTB's Passive Portfolio - Top ups

Postby neversay » December 18th, 2018, 10:25 am

Thanks OLTB. Interesting portfolio.

Do you happen to have any sense of the relative performance you expect compared to an all in one tracker like the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80?

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » December 21st, 2018, 1:22 pm

neversay wrote:Thanks OLTB. Interesting portfolio.

Do you happen to have any sense of the relative performance you expect compared to an all in one tracker like the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80?

Thanks neversay

I would like to think that the performance is in line with Vanguard's Lifestrategy 80 and the reason I haven't bought it is down to charges. I am with HL and would be charged a 0.45% platform charge on top of the fund's 0.22%. If I can (sort of) replicate the Vanguard approach, but with a fixed fee of £200 p.a. using etfs then I'm happy with that.

It'll be an interesting exercise to compare the performance between the two at my next anniversary (August) just to see if performance has been matched and if fees would have made that much of a difference. If not (and this turns out to be an ongoing experience) then I might as well just buy the Vanguard fund as it's easier!

Cheers, OLTB.

Muddywaters
Lemon Pip

Postby Muddywaters » December 21st, 2018, 6:57 pm

I like this portfolio

The equity content is more risky than a Vanguard Lifestrategy because you’ve included small cap and em small cap. Which I personally like

Vanguard Lifestrategy is overweight uk, you aren’t

You’re overweight value. I would imagine there’ll be a divergance in performance

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 21st, 2018, 7:46 pm

The " dilemma " now is what do you top up next..the passive funds, the UK HYP or the "managed" John Baron-biased funds??

(I like the 3 prong attack BTW!... I have a big hole regarding a passive ETF portfolio but I might add to a small % that I hold in VHYL).

I'm favouring some UK HYP companies simply because of their yield potential ( I've added top ups of PHNX, LGEN and Merchants IT recently).

Of course, long term ( your focus) the dips in the ETF provide opportunities....

Problems, problems ;)

What's your thoughts for top up?

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » December 21st, 2018, 7:54 pm

My thoughts are I wish I had some spare cash to use to top-up!

What I've tended to do is look over the three portfolios and see what is out of kilter the most and top that up.

I think I will top up either VEVE (as it's fallen quiet a way), or one of my HYP shares (IMB/WPP).

Hopefully with the Vanguard funds kicking out income in early Jan and some HYP share dividends later this month, I might have enough to scrape together enough to justify a purchase!

Cheers, OLTB.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 21st, 2018, 8:38 pm

Well done OLTB. All my invested SIPP is currently parked in Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 (hence my question) and I'm 60% cash right now. I still don't know whether to proceed with Lifestrategy or a DIY passive portfolio like your own. Other than waiting to move it from Interactive Investor to Vanguard itself, I haven't had much time for various reasons.

N.

Return to “Passive Investing”