Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa, for Donating to support the site

Investment Bonds

Index tracking funds and ETFs
gbalin

Investment Bonds

Postby gbalin » May 10th, 2024, 12:55 pm

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but i can't search for investment bond as the words are too common!
I have an investment bond [unit based investments linked to a peppercorn life insurance] from Prudential and am interested to know if it is worth taking the 5% annually [tax-deferred] or better to leave it in and let it compound?
Grateful for help or advice where to post this.
Cheers

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Investment Bonds

Postby Alaric » May 10th, 2024, 1:21 pm

gbalin wrote:Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but i can't search for investment bond as the words are too common!
I have an investment bond [unit based investments linked to a peppercorn life insurance] from Prudential and am interested to know if it is worth taking the 5% annually [tax-deferred] or better to leave it in and let it compound?
Cheers

The board "Does anybody Know?" is a possible starting point.

Whether you take the return of captial or not would depend on whether you need the income. With regard to taxation, taking the 5% might work for you if a higher rate taxpayer. Prudential will be liable to tax in the underlying fund, so there's no additional tax on basic rate players.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 10th, 2024, 3:17 pm

I have a feeling that you can withdraw the 5% for 20 years, effectively withdrawing your capital, but what is left after that is all counted as capital gain. My experience is over 30 years old, so DYOR.

TJH

gbalin

Postby gbalin » May 10th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thanks both. That sort of clarifies my thoughts - the capital gain will be worse [better?!] if left to compound, and the idea was to take income, so that is what I think I'll do. After a bit more digging.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » May 10th, 2024, 4:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I have a feeling that you can withdraw the 5% for 20 years, effectively withdrawing your capital, but what is left after that is all counted as capital gain. My experience is over 30 years old, so DYOR.

TJH

Not a capital gain. A "chargeable event", and it will generate Income Tax, if it generates anything. This is the wonderful world of top-slicing ( if that term rings any bells ).

For the committed ( and this is a randomly picked exposition ) - https://www.mandg.com/wealth/adviser-se ... able-event

Return to “Passive Investing”