Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Passive investing for offspring

Index tracking funds and ETFs
GingerPlant

Passive investing for offspring

Postby GingerPlant » March 24th, 2024, 1:34 pm

Can anyone suggest any good ETFs / other passive investments for me to do on behalf of my daughters?

For background; I've been investing my own money for 30-odd years and am gradually giving lumps to my offspring that I want them to be able to invest and forget about.

So far, it's almost all in IUKD (ETF of top 50 yielders from FTSE 350) with divis automatically reinvested - so I think it's probably wise to find summat else!

ukmtk
2 Lemon pips

Re: Passive investing for offspring

Postby ukmtk » March 24th, 2024, 1:46 pm

The one I recommend for long term is V3AB.
I think of it as a world tracker.

I like it as it is a low unit cost (~ £4.50) so great for monthly savings (which is what I do in my SIPP).
It is an accumulator (the non-accumulator variant is V3AM).

It has been pointed by some Lemon peeps that this is an ESG ETF.

DYOR and good luck

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 24th, 2024, 1:55 pm

GingerPlant wrote:So far, it's almost all in IUKD (ETF of top 50 yielders from FTSE 350) with divis automatically reinvested - so I think it's probably wise to find summat else!

So that's all UK listed companies, some will be fishing in the global pond but you've a UK bias. 'Merica has done well this past decade, UK not so well. Next decade who knows but if it's Japan, Mongolia , Mexico, Portugal, India or wherever you'll not capture much of that with IUKD. So as you say summat else. There's alot to pick from so what about a global ETF or an investment trust?
Vanguard, amongst others offer global tracking. https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/what ... f-products? or iShares and HSBC
Here's a good place to start looking for investment trusts https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compa ... desc=false
Last edited by kempiejon on March 24th, 2024, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » March 24th, 2024, 1:58 pm

Assuming your daughters are reasonably young, you are probably looking at 50+ year time horizon. You correctly determine that really you want something "Fire and Forget". You also want a moderate volatility to avoid frightening your daughters along the way.

Personally I certainly would not want to be 100% exposed to UK equities (of any sub-categorisation). I would want a global spread.

Perhaps 60% Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF (VWRP) and 40% Vanguard Global Aggregate Bond UCITS ETF (VAGS)? Or something based on the Golden Butterfly Portfolio to hedge against global collapse.

Not sure what you can do about periodic rebalancing - leave simple instructions for what should be done once a year?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 24th, 2024, 2:58 pm

I have gone mainly for a range of Investment Trusts for my grandchildren.
I certainly would not want to be overweight UK and if I were starting again, I would skip the UK ETFs (ISF and MIDD).

ATST, BUT,EDIN,FCIT,ISF,MIDD,MYI,SMT, WTAN

GingerPlant

Postby GingerPlant » March 24th, 2024, 3:52 pm

Splendid - many thanks very much all for these helpful suggestions - I will review all and have a think about it.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 25th, 2024, 2:51 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I have gone mainly for a range of Investment Trusts for my grandchildren.
I certainly would not want to be overweight UK and if I were starting again, I would skip the UK ETFs (ISF and MIDD).

ATST, BUT,EDIN,FCIT,ISF,MIDD,MYI,SMT, WTAN

I note that the FTSE100 combined total market cap is barely larger than a single US stock (APPL)

Return to “Passive Investing”