Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Rising Sterling - Global Portfolio

Index tracking funds and ETFs
MartynC27
Lemon Pip

Rising Sterling - Global Portfolio

Postby MartynC27 » September 17th, 2017, 7:10 pm

My current passive portfolio of ETFs has benefited from the fall in the pound over the year after the Brexit vote, however as the pound has been on a rising trend over the past few months this has had the opposite effect. This is my passive portfolio:-

USA ------------------ VUSA (36% of capital + ISP6 3% of capital)
UK -------------------- VUKE (10% of capital + VMID 2.5% of capital)
Europe -----------------VERX (21% of capital)
Asia Pacific ----------- VAPX (7.5% of capital)
Japan ------------------ VJPN (10% of capital)
Emerging Markets-----VFEM (10% of capital)

Have any readers made any changes to their regional allocations because of the possibility of a further rising pound ?
I have considered putting say 20% in sterling Hedged ETFs but these are expensive and is probably a bit late to switch into these now ? -- Any comments welcome
MartynC

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Re: Rising Sterling - Global Portfolio

Postby Spet0789 » September 17th, 2017, 7:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much for two reasons.

Firstly and in the short term, this pound strength is largely due to perceptions of increased likelihood of a rise in interest rates. To be honest I don't see this persisting. Given all of the current weakening of economic trends in the UK vs the rest of the world, I don't see this persisting.

Far more importantly, depending on your lifestyle your consumption is effectively a mix of global and national goods with their own prices pressures. Not an issue (in my opinion) if your investments are similarly diversified. Hedged share classes are a waste of money to me - just another layer of costs and under current banking regulations increasingly expensive to implement.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 18th, 2017, 10:56 am

MartynC27 wrote:Have any readers made any changes to their regional allocations because of the possibility of a further rising pound ?
MartynC

For what it is worth I have not made any changes, and my non-HYP index portfolio has many similarities with yours. So that will of course make two of us who are wrong :)

regards, dspp

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » September 18th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Currency risk comes with investing in equities, even UK listed equities. If you are uncomfortable with the level of risk, you could hedge some of the risk out, using spread bets for example, but all hedging carries a cost. An alternative approach might be to overweight GBP fixed income assets (or GBP hedged fixed income) at the expense of foreign currency denominated fixed income assets. That is what I do. On the whole though I like the currency risk - it has benefits as well as drawbacks.

MartynC27
Lemon Pip

Postby MartynC27 » September 18th, 2017, 3:48 pm

hiriskpaul wrote: An alternative approach might be to overweight GBP fixed income assets (or GBP hedged fixed income) at the expense of foreign currency denominated fixed income assets

I note that the GBP Gov Bond ETFs such as - VGov,,, GLTS,,, IGLT fell and also Corporate Bond etfs - IS15 ,,&,,SLXX also fell a bit with the BOE talk about a interest rate increase.

The Emeging Markets Bond ETF - UBS Emg Mrks Sov A ETF (SBEG) ( hedged to GBP) which I hold at the same time last week rose.

Martyn C

Return to “Passive Investing”