Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

No-look November 2018

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: No-look November 2018

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:The only routine that I'm actively trying to change with this process is the one where I habitually concentrate far too much on the contents and valuation of my portfolio...

Well, if that's all you're worried about, then by that definition I've had a 'No-look' year throughout 2018 :)

I routinely record share prices, but I don't much bother abut what they are doing.

tjh290633
Lemon Quarter

Postby tjh290633 » November 8th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
Do you mean that you are reading IDP's RNS resumes on HYP Practical?

Surely that is cheating?

It's not clear who you're asking Terry, but I certainly wouldn't advocate a complete investment-news black-out being necessary for involvement in the 'No-Look-November' process.

I've not gone out to actively seek-out any particular financial news, as I think that would perhaps go against the spirit of the sabbatical, but I've also certainly not actively avoided any particular financial news that I might come across as part of my otherwise normal daily routines either...

The only routine that I'm actively trying to change with this process is the one where I habitually concentrate far too much on the contents and valuation of my portfolio, and I think so long as the spirit of that intent is followed (and we've already agreed in the past that there may well be extenuating circumstances where a brief excursion into portfolio-territory might well be necessary...), then I think that's about as much as we can expect during this process, to be fair.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Ah! My impression was that you cut yourself from all information about your portfolio, like news of dividends, corporate actions, as well as forswearing looking at share prices.

With November being a particular busy time for declarations and receiving dividends, with 13 announcement and 9 dividends paid in my case, and the prospect of the need for a trimming operation and reinvestment, it's not a month that I would choose for the exercise.

TJH

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » November 8th, 2018, 7:13 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Ah! My impression was that you cut yourself from all information about your portfolio, like news of dividends, corporate actions, as well as forswearing looking at share prices.

With November being a particular busy time for declarations and receiving dividends, with 13 announcement and 9 dividends paid in my case, and the prospect of the need for a trimming operation and reinvestment, it's not a month that I would choose for the exercise.

Well, to be fair, news of dividends and corporate actions are not something I look out for at any time really, so this sabbatical is nothing to do with that from my own point of view, but of course others may want to include such measures in their own approach to the situation.

In terms of share-prices, I won't seek them out during this four-week period, as I think that would constitute a breach in the spirit of the attempt, and this is something I'm very keen to include in this period, simply because it's something else I think I probably do too much of, and importantly I think I do it to no real-world advantage, which is a key aspect of the types of things I'm keen to cut down on during this period.

Basically this whole thing is around the idea that once a portfolio is of a sufficient size, and is diversified enough, it's capable of getting on with what it's designed to get on with, without the need for perpetual monitoring....

Taking part in this November feature really has taught me that this is the case, and the advantage of doing it is that I've seen very good bleed-over into the periods outside of the month of November, which again was something I was keen to take advantage of if it happened, which for me it certainly has.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Quarter

Postby tjh290633 » November 8th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:In terms of share-prices, I won't seek them out during this four-week period, as I think that would constitute a breach in the spirit of the attempt, and this is something I'm very keen to include in this period, simply because it's something else I think I probably do too much of, and importantly I think I do it to no real-world advantage, which is a key aspect of the types of things I'm keen to cut down on during this period.

Basically this whole thing is around the idea that once a portfolio is of a sufficient size, and is diversified enough, it's capable of getting on with what it's designed to get on with, without the need for perpetual monitoring....

Taking part in this November feature really has taught me that this is the case, and the advantage of doing it is that I've seen very good bleed-over into the periods outside of the month of November, which again was something I was keen to take advantage of if it happened, which for me it certainly has.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Actually I guess that looking at valuations once a month is not all that problematical, as any situations which have arisen during that month can be resolved then.

Corporate actions requiring responding are a different matter, I suspect.

TJH

poppy101

Postby poppy101 » November 10th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I caved already :lol:
Only lasted one week

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » November 10th, 2018, 3:24 pm

poppy101 wrote:
I caved already :lol:

Only lasted one week

Well on the positive side, you lasted a whole week, so well done!

You didn't fail, by the way - the challenge was to give it a go and see how you got on, and if you consider a week an improvement on your normal habits, then you've proved that you can do it....

It might also still be educational to process how your portfolio and also it's components moved over the week, compared to the general market - it was surprising for a few of us last year that even over a period of a month, the movement of the portfolio and it's constituents could be considered just as 'noise', and so did help encourage a sense that continual monitoring was really not adding any real value at all.

Something to beat for next year too, so we'll hopefully see you in just 51 short weeks then!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”