Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

MDS1951 HYP Review 2018

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
MDS1951
Lemon Pip

MDS1951 HYP Review 2018

Postby MDS1951 » January 1st, 2019, 1:50 pm

Here's how my HYP progressed during 2018. I made no purchases and withdrew £3,000 from dividend income. First, a table.

After two years of welcome increases the value of my HYP declined by just over £10k or 10% compared with the previous year; however, this was better than the decline in the FTSE100 which dropped by approximately 12% in 2018. So it is something to grumble about but not to cause me sleepless nights.

Dividend income decreased by 7%; however, I didn't receive any special dividends in 2018. When I compare the £4,562 with 2017's dividends of £4,312 after excluding last year's specials I had an increase in dividend income of 5.8% compared with 2017. I was pleasantly surprised by this, as I was in 2017 and 2016, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised in 2019 as well if my dividend income exceeds £4,600.

The components of my HYP are set out below; Carillion has been removed from the list. I wouldn't buy some of them today because the yields are too low, either because of dividend cuts or capital appreciation. However, at the time of purchase the yield of each holding was either close to or above the FTSE100 average.

AstraZeneca
Aviva
Billiton
BP
British Land
Compass
Diageo
De La Rue
Greene King
Glaxo
Legal & General
National Grid
Pearson
Pennon
Persimmon
Reckitt Bensicker
Relx
Royal Dutch Shell
RTZ
Sainsbury
SSE
Tate
TUI
Unilever
United Utilities
Vodafone
Wood Group

The IRR for the portfolio decreased from 8.1% to 6.8%.

Some time ago I unitised the portfolio on an accumulation basis and in 2018 the dividend income decreased by 4.2% on a unit basis as I expected this time last year. The price per unit decreased as well; that statistic hasn't been so low since March 2017.

Overall I think my experience for 2018 shows again the value of having a diversified portfolio. I won't be making any more additions to it because I'm fed up with taking decisions on what individual share to buy or top up. I have a small IT portfolio that I might add to in future, and I have posted about its performance in 2018 - here's the link if anybody is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=15455

Good luck to us all for 2019!

MDS1951

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”