Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Geographic diversification

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Geographic diversification

Postby EssDeeAitch » June 28th, 2019, 10:39 am

This is just to share some interesting findings on my PF geographic split.

I felt that I needed to balance my portfolio by increasing my exposure to Asia as I had no direct Asia/Japan holdings. However, I needed to know what Asia/Japan investments did the funds I hold have. The first table shows the split according to the stated market sector and the second is the split according to the fund/trust fact sheets. I know that this is a moving target but for practical purposes it will be self correcting.

I feel that this has given me more clarity on where to diversify and with 9.4% invested in Asia, do I really need more exposure (rhetorical question). Any comments welcome.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Geographic diversification

Postby monabri » June 28th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I'm also in the process of trying to create geographic diversity "selectively" by selecting countries where the market is undervalued.

Using Excel, I tabulated each fund of interest such that the fundname was the title for the column, and then listed all the countries where the fund invested in, by percentage. In doing so, I built up a "master" table containing several funds and all the countries where they invested in.

Then with reference to https://www.starcapital.de/en/research/ ... in-charts/

[This chart was published in the open literature by StarCapital - the report can be found using the link above].

I colour coded the "attractive" countries green and the "unattractive" countries red. I could then look for funds that had a high percentage of investment in countries deemed to be attractively priced.

It's a bit of a chore, probably more suited for a wet day (not today, then!).

Of course, political influences such as Trump's trade wars might have a serious affect on the true "attractiveness" of a country in terms of the research above so one might need to proceed with some caution.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Re: Geographic diversification

Postby EssDeeAitch » June 28th, 2019, 6:57 pm

monabri wrote:I'm also in the process of trying to create geographic diversity "selectively" by selecting countries where the market is undervalued.

Using Excel, I tabulated each fund of interest such that the fundname was the title for the column, and then listed all the countries where the fund invested in, by percentage. In doing so, I built up a "master" table containing several funds and all the countries where they invested in.

I colour coded the "attractive" countries green and the "unattractive" countries red. I could then look for funds that had a high percentage of investment in countries deemed to be attractively priced.

It's a bit of a chore, probably more suited for a wet day (not today, then!).

Of course, political influences such as Trump's trade wars might have a serious affect on the true "attractiveness" of a country in terms of the research above so one might need to proceed with some caution.

That's really interesting, just the sort of "chore" that I would undertake as well. Probably will.

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”