Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,Anonymous,CryptoPlankton,GrahamPlatt,Walkeia, for Donating to support the site

No-look November 2019

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1476 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

No-look November 2019

#237864

Postby Itsallaguess » July 19th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Well, there's just over three months to go.....

Who's in?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

seagles
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 107
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 8:37 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#237875

Postby seagles » July 19th, 2019, 7:02 pm

If it Carries on like this it will be a no look at tlf from end of July...... and yes no look November for me.

Darka
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 247
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 518 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#237905

Postby Darka » July 19th, 2019, 9:54 pm

I'll give it a try this year too

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4102
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 797 times
Been thanked: 1444 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#237907

Postby Dod101 » July 19th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Not me. I need to keep an eye on what is going on.

Dod

moorfield
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1565
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 1:56 pm
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#237921

Postby moorfield » July 19th, 2019, 11:22 pm

November starts after 31 October. Something I can't quite put my finger on about that date. Nope, my eyes will be wide open ....

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Slice
Posts: 663
Joined: February 7th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 464 times
Been thanked: 278 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#237930

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 20th, 2019, 12:08 am

Ok ... ok ... you got me :roll:

I've googled it ... no luck though.

  • Will it cost me money - think carefully before you're completely honest about that one
  • Are we talking about something that I can't talk to my Mum about?
  • Is it possible I could take my glasses off and will that count as "no look"?
Any pointers gratefully received :D

AiY
N-LN (Tee hee :roll: )

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4492
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1047 times
Been thanked: 1197 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#237931

Postby PinkDalek » July 20th, 2019, 12:14 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Any pointers gratefully received :D


Here's last year's explanation:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13961

TUK020
Lemon Slice
Posts: 783
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 7:41 am
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#238099

Postby TUK020 » July 20th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I'm having a no look July...........
My home computer has died, and I didn't keep a copy of my portfolio on my work laptop.
It is amazing, but I am not getting anxious about stock prices

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 139
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:10 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#238141

Postby mickeypops » July 21st, 2019, 8:19 am

moorfield wrote:November starts after 31 October. Something I can't quite put my finger on about that date. Nope, my eyes will be wide open ....


Yes! If we do in fact Brexit on that day, I defy anyone to go through the next month not checking their portfolio......

MP

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1476 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#238145

Postby Itsallaguess » July 21st, 2019, 8:37 am

mickeypops wrote:
moorfield wrote:
November starts after 31 October. Something I can't quite put my finger on about that date. Nope, my eyes will be wide open ....


Yes! If we do in fact Brexit on that day, I defy anyone to go through the next month not checking their portfolio......


Well, nobody said it was going to be easy....:O)

I totally agree that this year's 'No-look November' could be the most significant one in our investment lifetime, were we to actually get through it.....so just think what that might prove to ourselves if we were able to....

Surely anyone that worried will have already positioned themselves in such a way as to minimise stress and disruption, especially given that we've passed through a couple of leave-date deadlines already?

I've been around 18% cash for some time now, and so I'm happy to allow my invested capital to stay where it is, and it seems to me that any action taken during the month of November could be 'too late' anyway, and most probably on the back of market movements that might simply mean locking in some potential losses during that time...I'd very much prefer not to do that...

That's why I've stocked up my cash and near-cash balance of around 18%, which might enable me to take advantage of any potential opportunities, but it won't stop me trying to get through November without looking...

If it's that bad, it'll be on the news, and I'm sure there might be the odd post regarding any market turbulence on these boards, so long as we look hard enough......

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 139
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:10 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#238146

Postby mickeypops » July 21st, 2019, 8:48 am

That’s quite right, Itsallaguess. It may well be that we’re too SCARED to check on our investments, leading to “No Look November” by default! :)

(I still doubt we are actually going to leave the EU btw, but that’s a different topic entirely.....)

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice
Posts: 416
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:12 pm
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 331 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#238182

Postby CryptoPlankton » July 21st, 2019, 11:33 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
mickeypops wrote:
moorfield wrote:
November starts after 31 October. Something I can't quite put my finger on about that date. Nope, my eyes will be wide open ....


Yes! If we do in fact Brexit on that day, I defy anyone to go through the next month not checking their portfolio......


Well, nobody said it was going to be easy....:O)

I totally agree that this year's 'No-look November' could be the most significant one in our investment lifetime, were we to actually get through it.....so just think what that might prove to ourselves if we were able to....

Surely anyone that worried will have already positioned themselves in such a way as to minimise stress and disruption, especially given that we've passed through a couple of leave-date deadlines already?


As someone who is generally comfortable with the amount of monitoring I normally do, I will certainly be keeping a keener eye than usual on my investments in November if we do leave on Halloween. I may not be the greatest investor in the world, but I trust myself to avoid any knee-jerk reactions and think that, in addition to the possible opportunities that may be thrown up, it would be educational to study the market reaction and impact on my portfolio.

With respect, apart from obviously being an eminently prudent time to keep an eye on things, I also think the chance to add to one's experience/knowledge from such an event far outweighs any potential benefit from some arbitrary (wasn't November originally chosen as it was expected to be a "quiet time"?) exercise in self-control - for any investor...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1476 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#238211

Postby Itsallaguess » July 21st, 2019, 1:21 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
As someone who is generally comfortable with the amount of monitoring I normally do, I will certainly be keeping a keener eye than usual on my investments in November if we do leave on Halloween. I may not be the greatest investor in the world, but I trust myself to avoid any knee-jerk reactions and think that, in addition to the possible opportunities that may be thrown up, it would be educational to study the market reaction and impact on my portfolio.

With respect, apart from obviously being an eminently prudent time to keep an eye on things, I also think the chance to add to one's experience/knowledge from such an event far outweighs any potential benefit from some arbitrary (wasn't November originally chosen as it was expected to be a "quiet time"?) exercise in self-control - for any investor...


Absolutely - can't disagree with any of that.

I think I'll struggle to get through the month myself this year, for very similar reasons to your own, but I'll still be giving it a go....

The intent was always very much to take a 'don't look if you don't have to' approach to this challenge, and I don't see that being any different just because there's a potentially significant 'event' that might or might not occur during the same period of time....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wasron
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 126
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#239024

Postby Wasron » July 24th, 2019, 8:20 pm

I think no-look November will be a stretch for me given Brexit.

I’m therefore going to attempt ‘Abstention August’ instead.

I’ll be on holiday for a couple of weeks anyway, so it’s a good reason not to look at the market while I’m supposed to be relaxing.

Wasron

Wasron
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 126
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#243036

Postby Wasron » August 9th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Wasron wrote:I think no-look November will be a stretch for me given Brexit.

I’m therefore going to attempt ‘Abstention August’ instead.

I’ll be on holiday for a couple of weeks anyway, so it’s a good reason not to look at the market while I’m supposed to be relaxing.

Wasron


Nine days in without incident. Just updated my spreadsheet to select my regular top-ups for Monday, and don’t plan on looking again until the 31st.

I think it’s been good to do this. I’d got into the habit of checking prices first thing, at lunch and then again at the close, deliberating over potential purchases there was a very slim chance of me following through with. I’ve not missed it yet.

A September Sabbatical might follow if this continues... 8-)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1476 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#243038

Postby Itsallaguess » August 9th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Wasron wrote:
Nine days in [to 'Abstention August'] without incident. Just updated my spreadsheet to select my regular top-ups for Monday, and don’t plan on looking again until the 31st.

I think it’s been good to do this. I’d got into the habit of checking prices first thing, at lunch and then again at the close, deliberating over potential purchases there was a very slim chance of me following through with. I’ve not missed it yet.

A September Sabbatical might follow if this continues...


Great stuff - and it's that 'habit' that we're looking to break here, so it's good to hear that you're seeing such positive results.

I did it myself originally because I found myself in the same behavioural pattern - spending time either thinking about my portfolio value, or the value of some of the holdings, or spending time actually checking the values, where I was similar to you in checking numerous times a day.

Then, one day I just asked myself 'When was the last time you actually *did anything* with the results of such processes?' and I honestly couldn't answer when I had done....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

seagles
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 107
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 8:37 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#243041

Postby seagles » August 9th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Since I got my new laptop all my spreadsheets have been kept on a seperate hard drive. This means I now only look at my portfolios when I have an action to do. When a dividend is paid or I am looking to buy or sell (rarely sell). Works for me. I do have a portfolio tool on line with Yahoo so need to stop looking at that.

monabri
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3123
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 837 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#243134

Postby monabri » August 9th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I wish I'd adopted a no look August! At the moment it's a no luck August with SVS Securities my XO broker going into administration. Even if I looked I couldn't do anything with the frozen accounts :(

Wasron
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 126
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:03 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#248119

Postby Wasron » August 30th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Wasron wrote:I think no-look November will be a stretch for me given Brexit.

I’m therefore going to attempt ‘Abstention August’ instead.

...

Nine days in without incident. Just updated my spreadsheet to select my regular top-ups for Monday, and don’t plan on looking again until the 31st.

I think it’s been good to do this. I’d got into the habit of checking prices first thing, at lunch and then again at the close, deliberating over potential purchases there was a very slim chance of me following through with. I’ve not missed it yet.

A September Sabbatical might follow if this continues... 8-)


Well we’ve reached the end of the month without me getting severe withdrawal symptoms. I was reading these boards but not looking at any prices or logging into my online accounts. I was interested to see a few prices after some of the discussions ( i’m thinking Marstons and NewRiver REIT). Pleasantly surprised by the portfolio value given the position of the FTSE and HK issues.

I think I’ll be keeping the Stocks app off the front screen of my iPhone, and see what happens.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1476 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

Re: No-look November 2019

#248123

Postby Itsallaguess » August 30th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Wasron wrote:
Pleasantly surprised by the portfolio value given the position of the FTSE and HK issues.


Great news - are you able to give a percentage-movement figure for the month's worth of abstinence?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess


Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest