Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mid-Year Blues (Total Returns drop off)

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Mid-Year Blues (Total Returns drop off)

Postby Dod101 » August 16th, 2023, 10:44 am

Capital values are not getting any better with my portfolio. I only do a valuation on Saturdays but this has not been a good week so far, (nor for that matter the year so far) and yet.........

In the business section of The Times this morning ' A dark cloud hung over equity markets yesterday with investors spooked by the prospect that the B of E will keep raising interest rates.'

But on an earlier page, 'Optimism rises among top investors' That is from Bank of America and apparently reflects the views of 'international investors'

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel but not much sign of it here in the UK.

Meanwhile my portfolio is doing well income wise and I am up 6.4%% ahead against last year to the end of July with no new money.

Dood

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 16th, 2023, 10:52 am

I think I read somewhere that Ken Fisher (Fisher Investments) was bulling up UK equities. The UK market doesn't seem to have many friends.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 17th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Dod101 wrote:Capital values are not getting any better with my portfolio. I only do a valuation on Saturdays but this has not been a good week so far, (nor for that matter the year so far) and yet.........

In the business section of The Times this morning ' A dark cloud hung over equity markets yesterday with investors spooked by the prospect that the B of E will keep raising interest rates.'

But on an earlier page, 'Optimism rises among top investors' That is from Bank of America and apparently reflects the views of 'international investors'

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel but not much sign of it here in the UK.

Meanwhile my portfolio is doing well income wise and I am up 6.4%% ahead against last year to the end of July with no new money.

Dood

Hi Dod,

“… up 6.4% …” And this in a time of high inflation. So, if I’ve understood correctly, your real income is down about 5%.

My income is down vastly on last year but I had a large number of significant specials last year.

Best wishes, Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 17th, 2023, 7:10 pm

I am fairly relaxed about the modest increase in my dividend income because I am in the fortunate position that I do not spend all of my income anyway. I have no pension ( except the State Pension) and live off my investment income. Nowadays I am on my own and I guess that makes it easier to cut back if necessary . I keep a spreadsheet of my spending though and I may well be the only person in the country who has not seen much of an increase in my spending except of course for petrol and other fuel such as oil. Electricity is fine. I use very little anyway.

I had only one special dividend last year, well two I suppose. One was Caledonia Investments and the other was Admiral. I expect to comfortably cover these losses this year with no problem. If you are dependent on investment income it sure concentrates the mind!

Dod

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » August 18th, 2023, 10:53 am

Think we are all feeling the recent selloff in our TR numbers.

FTSE is right on its Yearly lows, about 12% off annual/YTD highs.

Good time to be accumulating (IMO). x10 trailing earnings... FTSE is very cheap. S&P by contrast is on x23 trailing earnings.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 18th, 2023, 11:00 am

vand wrote:Think we are all feeling the recent selloff in our TR numbers.

Good time to be accumulating (IMO). x10 trailing earnings... FTSE is very cheap. S&P by contrast is on x23 trailing earnings.

Yes I agree. The trouble is that buying at these bargain prices needs patience and a certain sang froid because no sooner have I bought than the price continues downwards.

Dod

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 18th, 2023, 11:39 am

vand wrote:Think we are all feeling the recent selloff in our TR numbers.

I am always buying, each month I subscribe to a SIPP and buy with accumulated dividends in ISAs. My ISAs are buying Vanguards global ETF and SIPP is adding to USA/Europe/EM/Asia etfs to maintain a sort of balance. The FTSE is as you say pretty low compared to the past 12 months, I thought about shifting my ISAs from more global to FTSE100/250 ETFs as both are cheap. But global is on a pretty low ebb too so I'll stick to the plan and hope the trend stay long enough for me to add more.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 18th, 2023, 12:28 pm

Its looking like another down week. The third on the trot but even the week before was only barely up.

Ive not bought any more shares yet which I might have done when we get "downs" if things were not currently stuck between brokers after a problematic transfer. There is also the possibility one of my shares will be sold for me shortly, so I could find myself with cash needing a home

This weeks falls appear to be much more than the last couple of weeks combined.

Mr Market, if you can time market lows with my cash availability that would be handy

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”