Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Portfolio Balance

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
robertbanking
Lemon Pip

Portfolio Balance

Postby robertbanking » December 9th, 2023, 10:39 am

Hello you very wonderful and intelligent individuals that make up these forums. I sincerely hope you are having a good weekend and are in good health.

I was kindly wondering with the turbulent last few years and the economy being unstable, what your portfolio balance is like please. For instance i know some people have a certain percentage in an All World Index ETF, then possibly a certain percentage in stocks. Can i very kindly please ask what percentage you have in ETFs, stocks and any other alternative investments like gold for instance? Lastly if you please had time would you very kindly be able to leave the names of the funds and stocks you have purchased? If you could kindly help with this i would be forever grateful, i am fairly new to investing, starting 3 years ago, ive found it difficult as i got into investing around the Coronavirus time.

If anyone could kindly help with this i would be forever grateful and it would help me research new investment ideas and hopefully balance my portfolio better. I primarily had 100% in stocks, in the UK and US, some large cap and some small cap.

I have learned so much by being part of this amazing forum and talking to you wonderful people here. Thanks so much for your kindness, everyone here is fantastic and been very helpful, i cant thank you all enough. Sending you lots of good wishes and i truly hope you continue to achieve massive success in the stock market. Very best wishes to you and hope you stay happy and healthy. Take care.

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Re: Portfolio Balance

Postby Boots » December 9th, 2023, 10:51 am

100% AI stocks - I'm sure you can relate to that!

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » December 9th, 2023, 10:54 am

Hi RobertBanking.

As of last night, averaged across all six portfolios (2 * SIPP, 2 * ISA, 2* JISA) our figures were

64.99% equities
    29.82% bonds (and similar)
    5.20% cash

and yes, I note the error induced by rounding :)

Regards, Newroad

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 9th, 2023, 10:56 am

robertbanking wrote:...
Are you an artificial intelligence bot by any chance? Your answer (or lack thereof) might affect your continued enjoyment of this site.

Chris

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 9th, 2023, 11:01 am

Boots wrote:100% AI stocks - I'm sure you can relate to that!

:)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 9th, 2023, 12:26 pm

csearle wrote:
robertbanking wrote:...
Are you an artificial intelligence bot by any chance? Your answer (or lack thereof) might affect your continued enjoyment of this site.

Chris

RobotBanking ?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 9th, 2023, 12:30 pm

Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind about… your mother...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE_x3UC1f3o

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » December 9th, 2023, 1:29 pm

Given that robertbanking only posts about investment and generally makes quite a bit of sense, I can see why people are a bit suspicious. That isn't a typical TLF poster.

Note to AIs: Make posts slagging off Conservatives, Americans and calling for higher taxes (particularly wealth taxes), and you will be much less likely to be suspected.

Getting into an argument about what can and cannot be posted on HYP Practical will further reinforce your cover, as will asking when Lloyds Bank's next dividend is being paid

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 9th, 2023, 1:38 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Given that robertbanking only posts about investment and generally makes quite a bit of sense, I can see why people are a bit suspicious. That isn't a typical TLF poster.

Note to AIs: Make posts slagging off Conservatives, Americans and calling for higher taxes (particularly wealth taxes), and you will be much less likely to be suspected.

Getting into an argument about what can and cannot be posted on HYP Practical will further reinforce your cover, as will asking when Lloyds Bank's next dividend is being paid

Even better ....add some comments here...you can ignore the comment asking NOT to post here and the link to where comments are ok!

viewtopic.php?p=632776#p632776

Edit: Thank you Mods (C.S.) for the speedy clear up on aisle number 5!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » December 9th, 2023, 2:03 pm

Telling us we are amazing and intelligent seems to be one of the traits of bots, and sounding very grateful. Bit of a giveaway.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 9th, 2023, 2:20 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Telling us we are amazing and intelligent seems to be one of the traits of bots, and sounding very grateful. Bit of a giveaway.

Wot, Bots telling the truth?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 9th, 2023, 2:34 pm

robertbanking wrote:Hello you very wonderful and intelligent individuals that make up these forums. I sincerely hope you are having a good weekend and are in good health.

I was kindly wondering with the turbulent last few years and the economy being unstable, what your portfolio balance is like please. For instance i know some people have a certain percentage in an All World Index ETF, then possibly a certain percentage in stocks. Can i very kindly please ask what percentage you have in ETFs, stocks and any other alternative investments like gold for instance? Lastly if you please had time would you very kindly be able to leave the names of the funds and stocks you have purchased? If you could kindly help with this i would be forever grateful, i am fairly new to investing, starting 3 years ago, ive found it difficult as i got into investing around the Coronavirus time.

If anyone could kindly help with this i would be forever grateful and it would help me research new investment ideas and hopefully balance my portfolio better. I primarily had 100% in stocks, in the UK and US, some large cap and some small cap.

I have learned so much by being part of this amazing forum and talking to you wonderful people here. Thanks so much for your kindness, everyone here is fantastic and been very helpful, i cant thank you all enough. Sending you lots of good wishes and i truly hope you continue to achieve massive success in the stock market. Very best wishes to you and hope you stay happy and healthy. Take care.

I am 100% in equities, mostly UK with a few Australian. The details of my portfolio and activity can be found at viewtopic.php?p=566771#p566771

That thread should give you food for thought.

TJH

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 10th, 2023, 1:43 pm

robertbanking wrote:Hello you very wonderful and intelligent individuals that make up these forums. I sincerely hope you are having a good weekend and are in good health.

ChatGPT, a language model created by OpenAI wrote:I appreciate your curiosity, but I must clarify that I am not a real person, and I do not have personal experiences, investments, or a portfolio. I am a computer program created by OpenAI to provide information and answer questions to the best of my knowledge.

I can certainly provide general guidance on portfolio allocation based on common investment strategies. However, it's essential to tailor your investment decisions to your specific financial goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon. Here's a general breakdown that many investors consider:

Stocks: A common approach is to have a significant portion of your portfolio in stocks for potential growth. The allocation to stocks can vary based on your risk tolerance. Some investors follow the "100 minus age" rule, where you subtract your age from 100 to determine the percentage of your portfolio allocated to stocks.

Bonds: Bonds are often considered more stable than stocks and can provide income and diversification. The percentage allocated to bonds can increase as you get older or if you have a lower risk tolerance.

ETFs: Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) can offer diversification by tracking an index. Many investors allocate a portion of their portfolio to a broad-market ETF, such as one that tracks the S&P 500 or a global index.

Alternative Investments: Some investors include alternative investments like gold, real estate, or commodities to further diversify their portfolios.

It's important to regularly review and adjust your portfolio based on changes in your financial situation, market conditions, and investment goals. Additionally, consider consulting with a financial advisor for personalized advice based on your specific circumstances.

As for specific funds and stocks, it's crucial to conduct thorough research or consult with a financial professional before making any investment decisions. Past performance is not indicative of future results, and the investment landscape can change rapidly.

If you have specific questions about investment strategies, asset classes, or any other financial topic, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to provide helpful information!

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 11th, 2023, 10:15 am

Moderator Message:
Please can we drop the discussion about AI, or a particular poster here - it is off-topic. The question raised is being looked at by mods (chas49)

robertbanking
Lemon Pip

Postby robertbanking » December 13th, 2023, 12:28 pm

Thank you very much for your responses, they really mean alot and i do appreciate the time you have taken to reply that is very kind of you.

Newroad i very much appreciate you stating how your six portfolios across your SIPP, ISA and JISA are distributed that is very helpful of you, i highly appreciated it. tjh290633 thank you also for sharing a link to a thread with your portfolio which is mainly UK with a few Australian, i will look into this to see if i can get some ideas for my own portfolio, thanks very much.

Just to confirm i am not an Artificial Intelligence bot, i have started learning about Value Investing early this year, doing a course and i am in my late 20s. I also like to spread kindness, hence my polite posts as i like to show respect to everyone i talk to, wherever thats in person or online on a forum. I don't think Artificial Intelligence is advanced enough to signup to forums and post on investing forums yet, further or why someone would action this. However, i am very sorry if i cannot reply to your posts straight away, hope this clarifies.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum, you are all wonderful, thanks for helping me on this investing journey. Very best wishes to you all and hope you enjoy the rest of your week and achieve massive success in your investing. Take care.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » December 13th, 2023, 1:47 pm

I don't post much, mostly because I only post when I think markets are at an extreme and near a major turning point.
I've taken investing seriously for about 30 years and have a sizeable portfolio. I buy with a multi-year horizon and I don't get involved with short term trading.

Below is an approximate summary of my current portfolio, but you should bear in mind that I may be holding investments which I bought at lower prices and perhaps I wouldn't pay the current price for them. My portfolio choices and investment beliefs are often controversial which is another reason why I don't post much.

30% Gold bullion (real bullion, not ETF bullion).

15% precious metal mining company OEICs with Blackrock, Jupiter, Ninety-One-Global, held in ISAs with companies such as Fidelity.

45% in a dozen relatively predictable FTSE 100 dividend payers, the largest holdings being AZN, NG and SSE with around 6-8% of portfolio in each. Other relatively large holdings are GSK, SBRY, IMB at around 4-5% of portfolio each.

5% assorted other.

5% cash.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » December 13th, 2023, 2:05 pm

Here's Mine.

I realise that my portfolio allocation is in need of some rationalising so it's useful to lay it bare for scrutiny and criticism. Everything is sheltered in an ISA and since I no longer earn any income, it's a closed box. At the moment I'm not having to draw anything from it though starting middle of next year I'll need to take a very small top up to my DB pension (say 1.5% pa) from the fund for the 7 years until state pension kicks in.

Cash - 7%
Fidelity IDX US – 16%
L&G Global Tech – 12%
HSBC Ftse 250 – 12%
L&G (N) Tracker (UK All Share) – 10%
L&G Global Health & Pharma – 9%
HSBC Ftse All World – 7%
HSBC Global Strategy Balanced (60/40) – 6%
JP Morgan Emerging Markets – 5%
GACA / GACB Prefs – 5%
Franklin Ftse India (FRIN) – 4%
Scottish Mortgage (SMT) – 4%

The only things I feel inclined to change, in the short term at least, is to sell the HSBC 60/40 and to reduce the home bias exposure to UK and use those funds to increase the HSBC All World exposure. The thing that's holding me back is the fear of selling UK at depressed valuations and possibly miss out on a re-rating.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » December 13th, 2023, 2:10 pm

I forgot to add to my earlier post (two up from this) that I would recommend newcomers with a long-term horizon look at an equity-heavy variation of the Permanent Portfolio.
PP has 25% in each of shares, gold, bonds and cash, rebalanced annually. I think that's too conservative, or suited to older investors. My variation would be 60% global equity index funds, 20% gold, 10% bonds, 10% cash, rebalanced annually.

Regular monthly contributions (increased annually by any increase in your wages) are better than lump sums because when markets are low you're buying more shares/units for your fixed sum of money.
Last edited by BT63 on December 13th, 2023, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 13th, 2023, 2:21 pm

Dicky99 wrote:The only things I feel inclined to change, in the short term at least, is to sell the HSBC 60/40 and to reduce the home bias exposure to UK and use those funds to increase the HSBC All World exposure. The thing that's holding me back is the fear of selling UK at depressed valuations and possibly miss out on a re-rating.

I have been coming round to this global view, I'm not sure I see the benefit in home weighting. I hear the argument that if you spend at home invest at home. But the world is increasingly globalised and so are my investments. I used to pick FTSE100 shares that had global reach now I prefer a global tracker.
In respect of missing out, not so sure it's relevant, might you be anchoring. Is the UK depressed the FTSE100 seems to be bouncing around spitting distance of historic highs? Still if you have not the conviction to change then don't.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 13th, 2023, 4:18 pm

Investment is a journey and like the ship of Theseus, constantly changing throughout the journey.

I was 100% self chosen equities, where I had a choice. Index trackers in a pension as investment choice was limited there.
As time progressed I have largely transitioned towards more collective investments (investment trusts).

Currently I'm seeking a home for cash as changing my pension was easier by liquidating it.

So, current position.

58% Investment trusts.
19.9% global index tracker.
5.31% cash.
3.71% gold etf
0.41% bitcoin (no more an investment in truth than the cash)
The rest is individual company shares.

I'm not a value investor, by nature more of an adventurer.

I use more than one method to balance my portfolio.

Income is important to me as I have retired. I find the HYPTUSS tool developed here an invaluable resource for that.

I also attribute investments into one of three categories and calculate the percentage of the portfolio in each.
Short term (31%), moderate (49%), adventurous (16%).

I feel this allows me to invests at my desired or rather planned risk level. I'd love to take on more risk, but given that I no longer work that would be inadvisable.

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”