Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Berkshire Hathaway XIRR

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Berkshire Hathaway XIRR

Postby YeeWo » October 6th, 2017, 9:04 am

I bought a very small number of BRK.B yesterday. The stock is $ denominated whereas the rest of my pot is £ denominated. This has got me thinking about how I measure the performance of Berkshire on an ongoing basis! Do I convert to £ regularly and calculate my XIRR figures from the translation or do I keep in $ and ignore any impact currency movements may have on my investment? Do any other UK "Lemons" hold Berkshire?

Opinion gratefully received!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Berkshire Hathaway XIRR

Postby tjh290633 » October 6th, 2017, 9:42 am

I don't hold any shares not quoted in GBp, but if I did I think that I would evaluate it both in its quoted currency and in Sterling. Fairly simple to do, as you have no dividends to complicate matters. Keep the original cost in GBP and convert the current value to GBP using the current exchange rate.

TJH

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » October 6th, 2017, 10:31 am

I hold almost twenty foreign shares in operating companies (mostly American and Canadian), the largest holding being Berkshire Hathaway which I bought over 20 years ago.

I calculate my returns in sterling and the foreign currency, converting dividends into sterling at the time of receipt (for the calculation). If you don't calculate in both currencies you lose the effect of currency movements, which can be quite dramatic. My summary valuation spreadsheet shows the value of all my foreign holdings in sterling, not the foreign currencies, but also the value of my entire portfolio in Sterling, US dollars, Canadian dollars and Euros.

The US Motley Fool has an excellent Berkshire Hathaway board. Link below; they still use the software that TMF UK used before they closed the boards.

http://boards.fool.com/berkshire-hathaw ... 01158.aspx

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 6th, 2017, 12:06 pm

I hold a couple of USD denominated stocks.

Since my liabilities are in GBP, and I live in the UK, I track the original cost, dividends received and the current value in GBP, because (for me) the USD value is irrelevant.

If I want to see whether the USD:GBP movements have been a historical help or hindrance I just go to XE.com ( http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... D&view=10Y ).

TimR
2 Lemon pips

Postby TimR » October 6th, 2017, 12:43 pm

I have been considering buying foreign shares - My current platform only has LSE shares.

Which is a good platform to use for foreign shares as well as the LSE ?
(I understand HL is one option ?)

Tim R

BreakoutBoy
2 Lemon pips

Postby BreakoutBoy » October 6th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Just like to highlight the ease of tracking US shares and autoupdating the USD:GBP conversion. The following functions work nicely in Google Sheets to allow the calculation of portfolio components priced in currencies other than GBP. Just add in the appropriate currency and ticker and multiply for the GBP value.

=GOOGLEFINANCE(TICKER,"currency")
=GoogleFinance("CURRENCY:USDGBP")

A full guide can be found here:

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 6th, 2017, 7:22 pm

BreakoutBoy wrote:...The following functions work nicely in Google Sheets...

A little OT for this board, perhaps? :D

A Google Sheets guru would be a welcome addition here though. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7574

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”