Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Dod's Growth Portfolio

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Dod101
The full Lemon

Dod's Growth Portfolio

Postby Dod101 » December 31st, 2017, 5:51 pm

YeeWo was asking if I would post my growth portfolio here. Not very interesting but here it is

Scottish Mortgage 25.5%
Caledonia 14.75%
ABF 11.5%
RIT Cap Partners 12%
Carr's Group 10.25%
Arbuthnott Banking 3%
Henry Boot 8.25%
Finsbury IT 11%
Alliance Trust 3.75%

That is the bare bones. In the last year I sold out of Daejan (a very good quality property company) because I felt the share price was going nowhere and the dividend was very small. I bought Henry Boot with some of the proceeds and it has grown by 49% in about eleven months. Good call.

I also bought a small amount of Alliance Trust at near year end and intend to increase that in 2018.

Carr's and Arbuthnott gave me wonderful special dividends in 2016 and I should have sold them thereafter because in the current year neither has done much. Most of the shares held have a strong family influence which I think removes the short termism we tend to get with many companies and so I am comfortable with all. Maybe I need to be a bit more aggressive with this portfolio though but I will retain Scottish Mortgage as long as James Anderson is managing it and Caledonia I have held for about 25 years and have no intention of selling.

Finsbury gives me exposure to Nick Train and RIT to Lord Rothschild. Both are good investment managers.

Conservative? Yes and maybe too much so for some.

Dod
Last edited by Dod101 on December 31st, 2017, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Dod's Growth Portfolio

Postby dspp » December 31st, 2017, 5:55 pm

Thank you Dod for posting this. Interesting to see non-HYP takes on things.

Also very good to see you posting this here. Looking back in the future to try to find a portfolio review on a main board is a nightmare. Far better to use the portfolio review board for its intended purpose.

regards, dspp

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 1st, 2018, 9:59 am

Thanks Dod for posting. We often see references over on HYP boards to value or growth portfolios, nice to see what they contain sometimes. One question, what % do you hold in the relevant portfolios? I have often thought to "gamble" some money into another flavour of portfolio (other than my HYP shares and IT's) but do not have the stomach for it (at the moment).

It would be nice if all portfolios were posted here with relevant links from other boards if needed, that way we could avoid the "not to be discussed" here posts, IMO.

Prosporous New Year to you all.

Raptor.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 1st, 2018, 3:41 pm

Raptor wrote: One question, what % do you hold in the relevant portfolios? I have often thought to "gamble" some money into another flavour of portfolio (other than my HYP shares and IT's) but do not have the stomach for it (at the moment).Raptor.

I am about 80/20 in favour of my HYP and what I have tended to do is skim capital gains off the Growth portfolio and add them to the HYP although have not done so in the last year. I think the current split is about right for me anyway. I thought a bit like you at one time about buying Growth shares but I find myself tending towards the less adventurous side of things with the Growth shares and as I said in my initial post, maybe I should be a bit more aggressive and trade more. It is interesting to buy other than out and out HYP shares although as you see in my portfolio a lot is in ITs.

Dod

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 1st, 2018, 7:28 pm

I currently have about 30% ITs and 70% HYP. Am slowly moving more into ITs, but keep an eye on other investment strategies. I think once I am happy that income outstrips my needs then I might have a punt at value or growth.

Raptor

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”